Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any regrets buying a sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:20 AM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: any regrets buying a sportster?

I have no regrets, but my purchase decision was based solely on price. I wanted a Harley and I could afford a Sporster. It's a great bike, I love riding it, but I'm sure I'll move up through the pack in years to come until I decide what's really my favorite riding style. I have a strong feeling I'll just end up with a Sporty ultimately, since handling and speed are very important to me.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member

No regrets whatsoever. I appreciate that you can have fun on a sporty at somewhat legal speeds. My sportbikes were a different story . . lol.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
pwnzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No regrets here other than not ordering the anniversary edition, relatively large engine on a small frame is perfect for my riding style.

Although I will be putting a SE Stage I on this winter for an extra boost.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:40 AM
J_E_D
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My decision was also driven by finances. I wanted a "cool retro-bike" after finally getting settled somewhere that I could start riding again. I was trying to get an 06 Triumph Scrambler but they were all gone. For goofs I went to the local Harley dealer. I had a very low opinion of Harleys for a variety of good and bad reasons. Lo and behold! These bikes were nothing like the noisy, leaky, broke down junk I'd seen in the late 70s and early 80s.
My Sportster runs great and does exactly what it's supposed to do.
The only regret that I have is that I didn't spend a little more on a 1200R. Not because of the engine size but because of the looks. The Wife likes a little more chrome or black paint.

The only bike I've seen that has made me think about something non-Harley is the KTM Super Duke 990.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:01 PM
mpaquette
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

The only time I regret buying my Sportster is when I am riding 2-up. When riding solo I love it. I don't have experience on other bikes to know if a Dyna or Softail would be any different riding 2-up.

Looks great, rides great, gas mileage is great.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:01 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only regret I have is that I didn't do this when I was 22 and wanted one. Nowthat I have it, I LOVE my Sportster. Maybe some day I'll trade up, but now I'm perfectly happy with it.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 PM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets, well only one. It is not a great two up bike, and I wish the wife would not want to ride all the time...LOL I like the sporty solo. She needs her own or I need to get a bigger bike as a second for when she wants to ride... I should have kept that damn goldwing... I will never get rid of my sporty though, even if I get a two up bike, I still want to be able to ride the nightster.

Old 05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
valveguide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also regret selling my EVO 1200, I do not miss having sold the Iron head 1000. This EVO I have now will maybe be the last bike , hopefully for a lot of miles.

ORIGINAL: jimmyz

I regret selling my Sporty! I miss it just playing around town. The power also. JimmyZ

Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
TXjammer
Outstanding HDF Member

No regrets here. As for all the people talking about the two-up problem.....HANG IN THERE!! I'm currently working on a conversion on my XL1200 that is going to give me and the wife as much room as you would have on a Heritage, and will look good too!!! AND I WILL SHARE THE SECRET once it's perfected. till then......

Old 05-31-2007, 04:44 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I only regret that I don't have one anymore...

Quick Reply: any regrets buying a sportster?