Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat recommendations from Sportster Riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:10 AM
flibuoy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Seat recommendations from Sportster Riders

I am about to list a Mustang Fastback on EBay when stock seat is finished being altered. Nice seat but did not work for us.It sits on top of frame under rider, exposing tubing, which my wife nixed. It is firm and a bit fuller across forward area and she feels it moves her back a bit. John

Old 06-16-2007, 10:49 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: brgtr3

Stock seat with 2,800 miles on it in less than 2 months. I've decided my buns get a little numb after a long haul (100+ miles), so a new seat is on order from C & C Seats (http://www.ccseats.com/sportster2006.htm).

I'll try to post pictures once it gets installed.
Well, my C & C Seat arrived on Friday... very fast turn around, and it included the passenger pillon pad. Iended up getting the Sport Tour (2 up) seat, with flame stitching. The thread in the stitching matches the Chopper Blue color of the bike, so it looks really nice! Haven't had a chance to ride it more than a couple miles, but if the weather holds for Sunday (tomorrow), I"ll be putting on about 150 miles, and will have a better idea of comfort. So far, so good though.

The fit on the bike is very good, and I should note that I have the quick release back rest and rack.

The only issue I can see with it is that it makes access to the oil dipstick a bit difficult... the leather covers a very small portion of it, so you have to kind of push the seat back a bit to get the dipstick out.

Here's a link to the seat from the website, and I'll try to get some actual pic's of it on the bike.

http://www.ccseats.com/6sportster200...rtemplates.htm

Ride safe!

Old 06-17-2007, 01:10 AM
XL1200C/C
6th Gear

I couldn't help but warn you about the HD Sundowner I had experience with recently. I also wanted to keep my '07 1200 C, all HD, but I ended up waiting about two weeks for the seat to show up, then the shop installed it. I rode the bike home, and wanted to fit my throw over saddle bags I had just bought on E Bay. I checked the owners manual, and removed the seat as instructed. I got the sizing done, and went to re-install the new seat. When I looked at the bottom of the seat, I was surprised to see that it was made of plastic. My thought was this doesn't remind me of HD quality, but ok, this is what I bought. I was especially wary of the back screw down tab. It was held in by two plastic buttons, that didn't extend through the holes in the tab far enough I thought. It could pull completely off, if given enough force. I went ahead and installed it, and after tighening it, as stated in the owners manual, I grabbed and tried to move it back and forth, and sideways. To my surprise, it Did move, and in both directions. It didn't feel right. I hadn't noticed that when I rode it home, but I didn't give it the check suggested in the manual either.
I called the dealer, and they told me to bring it in the next day. When the service department guys saw it, they removed, and re-installed it, and said it wasn't right also. One of them said it looked like bad manufacturing to him, and I agreed completely. He said it needed to be sent back to HD, and luckily, my original seat was still at the dealer, and they put it back on.
About Three weeks later, I spoke with an guy from HD, in Wisconsin, and he said the seat was fine, and fit the bike he had at the shop properly, and they were sending the seat back to my dealer.
Both the dealer, and I agreed that the seat was not right, and I declined to accept it. He suggested I look for the seat I like, and he would order it for me since I had already paid for it.
The Mustang seat I now have is as comfortable as the Sundowner was, my Wife loves the feel as much as she did the Sundowner, and the seat is built with steel framework, and Fits My Bike. It also doesn'tuse the center post for mounting, so that problem is solved.I think it looks even better than the Sundowner did, although I didn't have a problem with it that way.
I know this is a long drawn out posting, but if I can save anyone else the hassles I had, and the hard feelings brought on by time delays, and bothersome, excessive,
phone calls, I have contributed something.
I hope this helps, and good luck finding the seat both you, and your wife will be happy with. C/C

Old 06-17-2007, 11:09 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned

6'-3" and I have a mustang solo with a add-on passenger pad. I also have drag bars and forward controls.

Old 07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
FloridaDrafter
Tourer

07' XL1200R, I'm 5'10", 280 lbs, 31" inseam,stock mid controls, stock bars. The stock seat wasn't particularly a problem, as most of my riding is around town and generaly under 80 miles at a time, so I find it to be pretty confortable. However, the wife did not like the narrow rear portion of the stocker, so I bought the Sundowner (ordered from Zanotti, $218, shipped). I particularly wanted it because we were heading to the Smokies.
The Sundowner was very easy to instal and the plastic pan didn't bother me as far as quality goes. It did move a bit when tested, per instalation instructions, but is solid. The tab that hooks it to the rear fender does seem flimsy, but does hold the seat firmly in place. The wife really loves the seat, but I could not wait to get this thing off my bike and the stock seat back on. Maybe it needs some break in time, which it will get because the wife rides some, and I put it on for her. I did give it a good chance on the Dragon and several of the nice roads up in Tenn. and N.C., but the stock seat won out.
The Sundownerdoes look OK on the bike, but I prefer the sleeker stock seat.The Sundownermoved me forward and put my boys right on the edge of the tank. It also adds a little elevation, but not enough to be of concern.
I do think the Sundowner is a nice seat for the money. I'm not sure I would recomend it for someone of my size/weight.

-Andy

Old 07-01-2007, 06:18 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corbin HOllywood solo shaved down on 1200 sporty I am 5'1" Love this seat= also moves me forward one inch.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:22 PM
kk0210
Cruiser

Sundowner
5'11" 30 Inseam
Have had it off and on many times without a problem. Much better for a passenger.

The mid controls on the low make it less comfortable than it could be, which is why I installed highway pegs.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:27 PM
rbcss
Tourer

I have the sundowner, it's a great seat forthe money. not sorry I went for that seat.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:31 PM
zigster
Advanced

sidekick

Old 07-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Whistle Dick
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

6'2" tall with a 34 inch inseam.

I just replaced the stock seat on my custom with a Lepera King Cobra. It's a very low profile seat but is much more comfortable then the stock seat and it just looks sweet as hell. It makes the bikes profile flow, and I swear it makes the bike faster and the chicks really dig it! LOL.

Quick Reply: Seat recommendations from Sportster Riders