Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider/owner having clutch shift issues.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 06:26 PM
Chief2274
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider/owner having clutch shift issues.

To start I will say I tried to do a search but didnt really find anything. I have a 2016 883 iron with around 2200 miles. First bike so my experience and knowledge is limited. I am having shifting issues when down shifting to a stop. When down shifting to first, the shifter becomes spongy or springy. When I take off I might be in 2 or third. I does this about 30% of the time and it seems when the bike is good and hot. Started doing it before my 2k service and is still doing it after. Service done by me. Under normal shifting once I get to first, the shift arm bottoms out. Will no long press down. When it does this, I can tell because the shifter will just be springy or spongy. Wont catch the next gear down. And like I said, I may take off in second or third. Any ideas? I did do the clutch and clutch cable adjustment per the manual during the 2k service.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:58 PM
72 Ironhead XLH
Road Captain
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Might want t take it in for service if still under warranty

Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 72 Ironhead XLH
Might want t take it in for service if still under warranty

If it's still under warranty I'd have the service dept look it over.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,836 Likes on 11,596 Posts

But, based on the Ops mileage indications, it sounds fishy that the issue started very close to after he did his own service. Unless it's totally coincidental...it sounds like he screwed up the clutch adjustment...or tried to adjust the shift linkeagr.

So, either redo the adjustments closely following the service manual or take it to the dealer.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Op said it did it before and after the 2K service.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:59 AM
siik2nr
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief2274
once I get to first, the shift arm bottoms out. Will no long press down. When it does this, I can tell because the shifter will just be springy or spongy. Wont catch the next gear down. And like I said, I may take off in second or third. Any ideas? I did do the clutch and clutch cable adjustment per the manual during the 2k service.

If you are in First.... there is no more gears down. Not sure what you are asking.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:40 AM
Nate Beck
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Could be an adjustment issue however when you are coming to a stop, are you shifting as you slow down or are you just shifting down rapidly as you're about to stop? Sometimes if you shift rapidly as you're about to stop it'll hang up in 2nd or 3rd (at least on my sportster when I first started riding and didnt shift down as I was slowing down) and it'll feel like its just a lever attached to a spring with nothing on the end of it. When this happens just stop, slowly let the clutch out and a tiny bit of gas and it'll link up, then you can shift all the way down. But it also could be an adjustment issue.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Chief2274
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Trigeezer, dont beat around the bush. I said I had little motorcycle experience and thus, knowledge. However, I'm not mechanically inept. The clutch adjustment, at least on the sportster is fairly straightforward, and I dont feel I screwed it up.

NATE, However. What you seem to be saying sounds like it may be what I am experiencing. I drive a truck, and skip shifting is somewhat second nature and I maybe guilty of it while riding. At least when downshifting. Didn't realizes this is or would be an issue. So its possible that the problem is bad riding habit, and not mechanical? I will say I took the riding class at HD and the instructor was insistent that I/we do not gear down to assist with slowing/stopping. This maybe where I picked up the habit. Thoughts?

Old 02-01-2017, 10:29 AM
tloc1000
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I will say I took the riding class at HD and the instructor was insistent that I/we do not gear down to assist with slowing/stopping.

I've never taken the class but have been riding for over 20 years. Just curious as to why you wouldn't want to do this? I let out the clutch for every downshift. I will blip the throttle if I'm going to downshift and need the rpm's higher to match the lower gear. Maybe the instructor didn't think ya'll were at that level yet.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:36 AM
Nate Beck
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Trigeezer, dont beat around the bush. I said I had little motorcycle experience and thus, knowledge. However, I'm not mechanically inept. The clutch adjustment, at least on the sportster is fairly straightforward, and I dont feel I screwed it up.

NATE, However. What you seem to be saying sounds like it may be what I am experiencing. I drive a truck, and skip shifting is somewhat second nature and I maybe guilty of it while riding. At least when downshifting. Didn't realizes this is or would be an issue. So its possible that the problem is bad riding habit, and not mechanical? I will say I took the riding class at HD and the instructor was insistent that I/we do not gear down to assist with slowing/stopping. This maybe where I picked up the habit. Thoughts?
Yeah when driving a truck Im guilty of skip shifting as well which is what transferred over when I started riding. Ive had my bike at HD for all of the check ups/maintenance and they say its completely fine however from time to time it will still do what you're describing if I slow down first, then shift all the way through. Now I down shift as I slow down however I dont let the clutch out for each gear (not that people who do are incorrect or Im correct its just what I do) but rather get to the gear I need to be then let the clutch out and maintain that speed or if its a light I'll pull the clutch in, downshift as I go down in speed, end up in first and stop. Sometimes old habits die hard though and I find myself stuck in 2nd or 3rd and I'll like I said I'll let the clutch out real slow with the slightest bit of gas and feel it slip back into gear, then Im able to get down to first.

Quick Reply: New rider/owner having clutch shift issues.