Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New rider/owner having clutch shift issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 10:07 AM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Another note, as this is a fairly new bike you might have some stretch in the clutch cable also.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:50 AM
ranchodeluxe
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief2274 I will say I took the riding class at HD and the instructor was insistent that I/we do not gear down to assist with slowing/stopping.

I just have to comment here as this type of statement with no context and no reasoning can get people hurt. Of course you should know how to backshift and use engine speed and compression to slow the bike, otherwise you lose critical braking distance when that car left turns you. Just go to a safe place, get to 50mph, pull in the clutch and brake to a stop, at maximum effort. Now mark off how many feet it took to stop. Now do the same using engine braking, you will quickly realize that you will stay alive a lot longer if you know how to use every tool in the box. And you save yourself a lot of brake wear.

As far as the technical issue, when there is little to no torque on the trans shafts, it makes the shifter hard to operate, that's why a little rev on your downshift helps to match engine speed to wheel speed and it drops right in. It seems like the poster is trying to make multiple backshifts while coasting and with no power applied to the shafts. Sometimes the pawl carrier just doesn't get reset in it's rest position, so it feels spongy when you try to backshift again.

Old 02-03-2017, 05:31 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

While I know that we are all possessive of our scooters, have you had somebody with some real experience on motorcycles, especially Sporsters, take it for a test ride?

Old 02-03-2017, 05:33 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,835 Likes on 11,596 Posts

Originally Posted by siik2nr
If you are in First.... there is no more gears down. Not sure what you are asking.
Very observant of you. Hmmm...

Old 02-03-2017, 05:56 PM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 407 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Beck
Yeah when driving a truck Im guilty of skip shifting as well which is what transferred over when I started riding. Ive had my bike at HD for all of the check ups/maintenance and they say its completely fine however from time to time it will still do what you're describing if I slow down first, then shift all the way through. Now I down shift as I slow down however I dont let the clutch out for each gear (not that people who do are incorrect or Im correct its just what I do) but rather get to the gear I need to be then let the clutch out and maintain that speed or if its a light I'll pull the clutch in, downshift as I go down in speed, end up in first and stop. Sometimes old habits die hard though and I find myself stuck in 2nd or 3rd and I'll like I said I'll let the clutch out real slow with the slightest bit of gas and feel it slip back into gear, then Im able to get down to first.
A truck has a non-synchromesh tranny, a bike has a constant mesh. If you are trying to shift a constant mesh box while stopped, it doesn't always work because the dog gears maybe teeth on teeth. You need a little movement of the shafts to get the dog gears engaged.

Screw your instructor, downshift through all the gears one by one. You can't skip shift most bike transmissions.