Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help finding the right paint color!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 09:11 AM
ddog96mn
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding the right paint color!

Hello, I'm in the process of repainting my fuel tank on my 95 sportster. I bought some "aqua pearl" 47435 is the paint code, from paintscratch.com. threw a coat of paint on it last night and its way off, like it's more of a turquoise blue than what my bike is. That's the only blue color I could find that Harley used in 1995. I'll post some pics of the bike if that helps anyone come up with a color name or paint code for me, or direct me somewhere to get it color matched that'd be great. Thanks everyone!

Old 01-19-2017, 12:50 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Unfortunately paimts fade over the years, so even if you have the right paint, it may not match. That's where a local custom painter comes in! Alternatively paint all your blue parts, so they match.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:18 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As GR mentioned, too many variables. Best bet is to take your tank/fender whatever is easier, to an autobody/paint supply shop, any reputable shop should be able to scan with a spectrophotometer and get a better match, they may be able to supply variants of that mix but you or your painter will have to do a sprayout to confirm.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:03 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
As GR mentioned, too many variables. Best bet is to take your tank/fender whatever is easier, to an autobody/paint supply shop, any reputable shop should be able to scan with a spectrophotometer and get a better match, they may be able to supply variants of that mix but you or your painter will have to do a sprayout to confirm.
I bought my 1990 Glide new and it is a similar colour, Candy HiFi Blue metallic, or some combination/mix of those words. I reckoned every part was a different colour! So I'm suspicious that any stock paint from that era will give uniform results. Mine is essentially a clear blue coating on a base of some sort, so lots of scope for things to differ.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:03 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Sure looks close to the Pacific Blue Pearl on my '07

Old 01-19-2017, 05:13 PM
ddog96mn
Stage IV

Thanks everyone, I understand that the paint is gonna be faded on the bike, but I'd like to find the stock color if I could so I can get pretty close and not dish out an arm and a leg... What I have now doesn't even resemble the original color!

Old 01-19-2017, 05:23 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,241 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by ddog96mn
Thanks everyone, I understand that the paint is gonna be faded on the bike, but I'd like to find the stock color if I could so I can get pretty close and not dish out an arm and a leg... What I have now doesn't even resemble the original color!
When I was trying to get the "right" color for a bike I was doing a few years back, I went to a local automotive paint shop.

They have books with thousands of colors in them. I spent a few hours thumbing through them til I found the color I was looking for.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:35 PM
ddog96mn
Stage IV

Originally Posted by DK Custom
When I was trying to get the "right" color for a bike I was doing a few years back, I went to a local automotive paint shop.

They have books with thousands of colors in them. I spent a few hours thumbing through them til I found the color I was looking for.
Where can I find one of these books?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD

Your paint is 22 years old so getting a decent match with the original color will be virtually impossible. I am a painter/body man so I have access to variants to every color code available to me. If a color chip doesn't come close enough a painter can alter the mix by adding or subtracting toners. Like has been mentioned it might be easier to paint everything.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Almond farmer
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Looked at a different H-D paint color data base that went back to 1987.
Both 1994 & 1995 had an Aqua Pearl, but the top coat is paint color code, BB.
The base coat is code, 98603.

Standard "Vivid Black" color for all years is paint color, DH.

Quick Reply: Need help finding the right paint color!