Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I regret a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 05:59 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Will I regret a Sportster?

I've had a Dyna (05 FXDLi) for the last 7 years. Commuter bike when there isn't ice on the road (Pacific Northwest), as well as some fun longer weekend trips (200-300 miles, nothing huge).

We'll be moving to Australia in about a year and I can bring the bike with me for about $4000 (because I've owned it for more than a year the import tax etc isn't painful, owning for less than a year doesn't make financial sense on top of the shipping costs) but as I find '05 parts hard to come by in the US (it was a short run model) finding them in Aus is going to be difficult (and expensive) so I'm thinking about selling the Dyna when I leave (don't tell her!) and getting something new(er) when I land...

Usage will be similar... city and suburban commute with the occasional weekend away. But a lot hotter in the summers than the PNW!

Thoughts are to stick with a Dyna chassis (despite growing up on Japanese sport bikes I really like the cruiser riding style these days), get a Sportster (though it's going to take a bunch of aftermarket parts to make it look like what I want!) or (and please, no flames, just facts) do liquid cooled and switch to a Scout (enjoyed a testride, but the switchgear feels like it's all dolls house furniture!)

Old 12-27-2016, 06:08 PM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

I love Sportsters. The best bet is to get the largest size possible (XL) and get the 3 main comfort upgrades where you like them - shocks, seat and forward controls. Beyond that, bars and whatever else. It is a smaller bike so it will be rougher over bumps and to me feels like it's winding at freeway speeds. Not as stable as a Dyna or Softail but one gets used to it.

I think you have a possible win-win. If you don't like it in Oz - is it possible that it will be worth more there for resale for something you do like?

In any event, for urban/suburban it sounds like a great ride.

Test ride as much as possible.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:08 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,629 Likes on 2,734 Posts

Liquid cooled might be a good idea if you plan rides to places like Coober Pedy. Hundreds of miles of hot, and if you're like me, long flat straights seem to bring the speed up... Haven't been there, but from what I've read and heard of it, the interior is like some of the harshest of the American southwest, only a lot more of it. I've had invitations to visit Oz, hope I can find a bike to rent if I ever do.

With a better aftermarket seat, sportsters are fine for 200-300 miles, I've done 400 on mine, wasn't bad.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:30 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I'll be honest. I have a 2015 RGS and a 2006 Sportster. The question you have to ask yourself is what do you want out of your ride. The Sportster isn't a bad bike at all but it is what it is. I only ride my Sportster to keep it lubed up until i sell it. Their really isn't anything it does better than my touring bike at any level. You also have to consider that paid $4500 for my Sporty and just shy of $21,000 on my Road Glide so yes for some riders money is a very important option. I probably spent 5K or more to try and make my Sporty Bagger like but it in all honestly is simply not the same and never will be. Its really all up to what you want and what your willing to live with. Sportsters are still the coolest looking bike HD makes regardless imo. Good luck in your choice.

Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 PM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

This made me laugh,waiting for a chance to post it

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-31-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Copy written image removed
The following users liked this post:
offbeatmammal (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 06:56 PM
offbeatmammal
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old schooler
This made me laugh,waiting for a chance to post it
well, that answers that question! I'd looked at Sportsters before getting the Dyna and went with the bigger bike because I got a great deal on it (now, if you know the 05 FXDLi, I know why!). I want to continue working on it, and take it with me, but at the same time the lure of something newer, more fuel efficient (gas isn't as cheap in AU as the US!) and practical is strong. That said the cost of adding shocks, handlebars, fwd controls, saddle, 2-into-1 exhaust and the rest of Stage1 etc makes it a complicated decision

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-31-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Copy written image removed
Old 12-27-2016, 07:03 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

i think all DH parts will be expensive in AU. if you can sell you bike for more then it cost to import it. that could be a plus. or just get a used dyna when your there. the sportster is great but im sure youll miss your dyna. test ride a 1200 sporster before you go.(roadster) better forks then the 48 and custom.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:08 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

So a bad meme made by people whom I can only assume aren't all that big on doing anything not in a straight line made the choice. I'll chime in now. I've only ever owned sportsters and for good reason. Riding my dad's lowrider it's just not as much fun in turns. Yes it will lean over but you can't throw it around like a rag doll. Anybody tells me sportsters are a girl bike I say cool race around the block, you know with 4 turns... They usually give me a scoul and walk away. Dyna's are great bikes but to say a chica isn't going to get on the back of a Sportster is ridiculous. I got 18k on my curreny bike in less than 2 years. People riding baggers and Dyna's who tell me "one day you'll want a real bike" get a whopping 1-2k a year. My heart goes out to them. Go ride a sporty and make sure to hit some curves. To be honest the scout probably is a better bike. Get what you want.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Switchback12
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Only you can answer that. Sportsters have been selling for 60 years now, seems a few people like them. I am on my 3rd with two Dynas in between. The first a 2012 Switchback was for two up riding. Rode a 15 street Bob for a year but when the Roadster came out I could not resist. Have had it 5 months and 5,500 miles without regrets. Do I hop on the interstate to drone on for hours, no, but if I do get on it for a while it feels just fine. I live in rural area with lots of back roads to ride on and have no problem doing a few hundred miles on a ride. After all the time spend on the forum for several years I have more faith in sportsters mechanically over big twins.

The following 2 users liked this post by Switchback12:
saddleupmc (12-28-2016), tennmoto (12-27-2016)
Old 12-27-2016, 08:20 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by offbeatmammal
well, that answers that question! I'd looked at Sportsters before getting the Dyna and went with the bigger bike because I got a great deal on it (now, if you know the 05 FXDLi, I know why!). I want to continue working on it, and take it with me, but at the same time the lure of something newer, more fuel efficient (gas isn't as cheap in AU as the US!) and practical is strong. That said the cost of adding shocks, handlebars, fwd controls, saddle, 2-into-1 exhaust and the rest of Stage1 etc makes it a complicated decision
rubbish... i have both. People say supid stuff like, "you gonna get a bigger bike" when i'm on my sporty. Its actually more fun than my dyna. I could careless what some poser or guy on a moblie couch thinks.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
Ratwerke (12-27-2016), saddleupmc (12-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Will I regret a Sportster?