Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I regret a Sportster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

How long will you be staying in Oz? Save yourself the shipping and other costs, sell your bike before you leave and put that money to whatever you fancy, once you get there. Do the same when returning to the USA. As for getting parts, if you have never lived elsewhere you will discover the delights and dedication of being a Harley owner abroad! Some of us have owned them without problems for a long time - so don't make more out of this than we Jonny Foreigners do.

Old 12-29-2016, 06:00 AM
SixDD
Banned
Received 1,902 Likes on 1,109 Posts

No regrets! I would love to have one. I think it would make a great project bike!

Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 AM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
Maybe you should take a newer Rushmore touring bike out for a test ride . They don't handle like the older baggers at all. They can ride a knifes edge in fact there ability is above my own. I rode my 06 for 7 years before i bought my bagger. Thats right i went from the smallest 883 to the biggest and the first time i leaned it hard into a corner i was like OMG. I ride every day basically from when the snow stops till it starts falling again.

Again i'd never knock the Sportster but i could get a 600 Ninja and leave you crying if you wanted to go corner to corner if your trying to sell handling as its most important feature. Every time i take my Sporty out it feels like a bicycle compared to my Road Glide. Again the point is what the OP wants to do with his bike within his budgetary contraints as well as purpose. If style is more important than ride than Sporty all the way. Nothing cooler than a group of old school Sporty riders rolling up on you.
If I get a choice between buying two sporties and one rolling couch I'll tell you where to deliver the second bike while I ride the first one home. 14-15k for a dyna is reasonable to me. But for 22k I'd hope it can go around a corner.

Yet I digress, last I checked we were comparing cruisers, who knew a cbr600 or a ninja could be faster. Weren't they designed for that? Why stop there, supermotos can rip corners with slicks too?

Personally I have nothing against Dyna's but if the reason you're getting a dyna over a a Sportster is because you think one is less masculine I don't think buying a bigger bike is going to help with those insecurities in the long run. Basically was the point of my first post.

Old 12-29-2016, 10:47 AM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Have you looked at what it costs to buy a bike in AUS/Pacific region? I hear it's pretty damn ridiculous.

However there's a massive Harley-riding community in AUS, you'll fit right in. This will make it relatively easy to find a good used Dyna. Much as I love the Sportster if you are not used to it, if you are used to your Dyna, and most importantly if you are expecting Dyna-level performance from a Sportster you will be disappointed - I can guarantee you.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:35 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey, all I can say is after 165KM I retooled the engine and am hard at it after installing a tuner PV5) and its nice, not overly Harley but makes a nice ride, everyone drools over my ride then steals the XR1000 next to it!

I love the bike now with soft shocks, foot pegs and floorboards, but hey I'm the nut that bought the dam thing!

Last edited by DavidStiebel; 12-29-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:38 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had a ton of Dynas and love them. I've also had Touring and 1 Softail. Dynas are probably my favorite, but I've been smiling ever since I bought my first Sportster since 1974. I'm having a blast with this thing.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:55 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by sawka
If I get a choice between buying two sporties and one rolling couch I'll tell you where to deliver the second bike while I ride the first one home. 14-15k for a dyna is reasonable to me. But for 22k I'd hope it can go around a corner.

Yet I digress, last I checked we were comparing cruisers, who knew a cbr600 or a ninja could be faster. Weren't they designed for that? Why stop there, supermotos can rip corners with slicks too?

Personally I have nothing against Dyna's but if the reason you're getting a dyna over a a Sportster is because you think one is less masculine I don't think buying a bigger bike is going to help with those insecurities in the long run. Basically was the point of my first post.
The Dyna is more of a bike in every way. It's not a masculine thing its a you get what you pay for decision. You have a 883/1200 vs a 103 1690cc bike. The Sportster is what it is. It's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Ford Mustang. They both have a market. I think when you purchase a bike you shouldn't have to settle for less if thats what you're after and i did for that for 7 years. I spent over $5000 dollars trying to make my Sporty into something it can never be. 2up is laughable on a Sporty or Dyna as they can do it but they aren't designed for it like a touring bike. My advice to the OP is buy the biggest bike you can afford.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

883r
but sir, did you upgrade your engine to a 1200/1250? i mean, when i took my 883 to 1200, i was blown away at the difference (883 sprocket was kept).

i outright hated my dyna when i first got is because it wasn't like my sporty. it's still a big lumbering bike in comparison. a stock 103 will get smoked by a 1200 up to about 65 or so. they are very different animals. no better, no worse. just different. the dyna is just worlds better on the highway (that power!) and long stretches, it's a liability around town. sporty wins there.

since you still have the 883r. why not up it to 1200/1250 for giggles. that blue bus is not your beloved 883r. i know you still love it.

Last edited by cvaria; 12-29-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:25 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

The Dyna is more of a bike in every way. It's not a masculine thing its a you get what you pay for decision. You have a 883/1200 vs a 103 1690cc bike. The Sportster is what it is. It's like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Ford Mustang. They both have a market. I think when you purchase a bike you shouldn't have to settle for less if thats what you're after and i did for that for 7 years. I spent over $5000 dollars trying to make my Sporty into something it can never be. 2up is laughable on a Sporty or Dyna as they can do it but they aren't designed for it like a touring bike. My advice to the OP is buy the biggest bike you can afford.
Dear god dude. Just start at my first post. I don't even know how to explain my response. I can type it over and over again but I can't understand it for you. Here I'll make it easy "you're right, you're so right, not sure about what but you got it man"

He didn't say anything about riding 2up all the time. It was between a scout, dyna and sporty. stop moving the goal post. After the meme he posted that it was right and he wouldn't get a sporty (if I'm remembering correctly, can't scroll up on mobile) and therefore the masculinity issue. But hey, I'm sure people always are saying "hey man cool bagger" I'm done have fun.

Last edited by sawka; 12-29-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:54 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,031 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by sawka
if i get a choice between buying two sporties and one rolling couch i'll tell you where to deliver the second bike while i ride the first one home. 14-15k for a dyna is reasonable to me. But for 22k i'd hope it can go around a corner.

Yet i digress, last i checked we were comparing cruisers, who knew a cbr600 or a ninja could be faster. Weren't they designed for that? Why stop there, supermotos can rip corners with slicks too?

Personally i have nothing against dyna's but if the reason you're getting a dyna over a a sportster is because you think one is less masculine i don't think buying a bigger bike is going to help with those insecurities in the long run. Basically was the point of my first post.
well said!!!!!

Quick Reply: Will I regret a Sportster?