Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the Torx is this for?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
Arctic Badger
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default What the Torx is this for?

I'm going over the 5k mile service, and wanted to check my primary fluid level (especially after the RKC problems). I decided that I'd loosen the primary cover before straightening the bike up and checking the level. So I grab my No.25 torx bit and slip it into the first bolt. It's a little tight, hmm...

*SNAP*

The bit just crumbled! What crap! Well, I got the whole set of stuff on ebay for cheap, so, no harm. I cruise up to sears but they've got no craftsman torx bits. So I get an off brand set.

I bring it home, and loosen up the bolts. When I loosen the last on the fluid begins to leak out. Tighten the bolt up till it stops leaking, can call the wife to have her stand it up. Well, she's busy, so I figure there must be enough fluid in there if it's leaking out on the side stand. I start tighten all the torx bolts back up, first snug then tighten them down. I go about my business with other stuff on the bike when I see a blob of primary fluid under the bike. WTF! I take a rag and clean the bottom of the primary cover off good. Sure enough it's still leaking, albeit very slowly. I get the wratchet and torx bit and start to tighten them down...

*SNAP*

This stupid torx bit broke too! Now, I know what your thinking "Dude, you cant lean on those little bolts, your lucky it didn't strip!" and I agree with you. The little wratchet I used is for my tool kit I can carry with me on the road. It cant be more than 6 inches long and as thick as a pencil. No 8" 3/4 in wratches torquing on this stuff here. Just a little bit of force and it broke.

Well, the partial re-tightening stopped everything buta very mild leak. More of a wetness than anything else. Still, I left the bike home today, I'm not an idiot.

So, after work I'm going home to get the torx set that broke. Take it to sears and have them replace it. Back home to drain the primary and remove all the stupid torx bolts. Take the torx bolts to the hardware store so I can replace them with allen or regular bolts. Back home to replace the cover and fill it.

Two questions about all this:

1) Is there any advice about the primary fluid you would like to give?

2) What is the purpose of these stupid torx head bolts? They're garbage. You cant torque on them, and it seems just normal wear and tear will round the insides out.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:04 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts
Default RE: What the Torx is this for?

The seal is a lot smaller than the cover so when some got by the seal it is now in a small pool in the bottom of the cover and will take a day or so to finish weeping out.
I have found over the years that when it comes to torx (and alan keys) you have to buy the best quality you can find or they break, strip, or strip the head of the bolt. Cheap ones just don't fit properly in the first place andthey arenot a good high strength steel, try to find a set of Snap On bits, they wont snap off!

Old 05-29-2007, 03:18 PM
Arctic Badger
Cruiser

Good to hear about the seal and cover size. I will have to check it again today, see if it's still leaking like before. I hope it's just the pooling of the fluid.

I'm curious though, what is the purpose of these different bolt heads? Are they supposed to slip less than an allen head? Sure you can get in tighter areas than with a wrench or socket, but if you strip the damnable thing out what advantage is that? Even the bolts wear out and get rounded after 3 or 5 times loosening/tightening them. They seem worthless to me.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:25 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

As for question #1, there are dozens and dozens of posts on primary oil, gaskets etc...

In regards to question #2; Torx was designed primarily for the manufacturing process... not the home/hobby mechanic. As HOTLAP said, buy high qualitytools and you'll have a lot better luck. The Harbor Freight/Chinesejunk just won't cut it.

Prior to loosening Torx fasteners, Itake a small steel drift (flat tip punch) that will fit inside the hole and give 'em eacha good sharp smack with a steel hammer. On installation, use a good torque wrench. With the right tools and a few simple tricks, Torx are not that hard to deal with unless someone has slobbered the threads up with Loctite or something.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:27 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I hear ya, I've never seen one machine with such a mismatch of fastener types, I don't know what Harley is thinking.
I remember my dad buying a combine when I was a kid, I don't remember the brand now but their claim to fame was that there were 3 size bolts on the whole thing, three wrenches and you could fix anything on it.
Would be a great concept on a bike too so you can take your whole tool box with you in your jacket pocket.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Arctic Badger
Cruiser

Thanks for the advice, ZD, I'll try using a drift in the future.

One of the reasons for getting into riding was doing my own maintenance. I was pretty good at wrenching back in the mid '90s. I ended up tearing my lower back up helpingfabricate a 100 yd conveyor belt assembly. Tore me up something awfull. I decided I had too many years to go till retirement (like 40) so I oughta find a new line of work. I sold my box for $1500 and I've regretted it for the last 10 years, especially since it was worth 2500 minimum. I completely agree about the quality tools. I had nothing but craftsman and snap-on and bosch. There is hardly anything worse than a tool failure when fixing an equipment failure.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:49 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Arctic Badger

Thanks for the advice, ZD, I'll try using a drift in the future.

One of the reasons for getting into riding was doing my own maintenance. I was pretty good at wrenching back in the mid '90s. I ended up tearing my lower back up helpingfabricate a 100 yd conveyor belt assembly. Tore me up something awfull. I decided I had too many years to go till retirement (like 40) so I oughta find a new line of work. I sold my box for $1500 and I've regretted it for the last 10 years, especially since it was worth 2500 minimum. I completely agree about the quality tools. I had nothing but craftsman and snap-on and bosch. There is hardly anything worse than a tool failure when fixing an equipment failure.
lol I know all about selling tools. I stopped that crap after re-buying stuff for the 3rd/4th time. I don't do much wrenchin' these days, but I refuse to sell any of my tools. I have stuff I haven't touched in 20 years... But the minute I sell whatever it is, it'll be maybe 3 days before I'll need it. That's ok.. they won't wear out sittin' in the box I figure, and when it comes time to plant my happy a$$, someone's gonna hit the jackpot.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:40 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Two questions about all this:

1) Is there any advice about the primary fluid you would like to give?

2) What is the purpose of these stupid torx head bolts? They're garbage. You cant torque on them, and it seems just normal wear and tear will round the insides out.

1. Nothing, drain it, fill 32oz tranny fluid from the chain inspection cover opening.
2. I heard the primary cover torx bolts are very tight, most people recommend liquid wrench before you take them out. I own a set of nice Snap-on torx bit, never had problem. I don't buy Snap-on for this purpose, the set is sitting in my mechanic tool box for years, never break.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM
6o66er
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tryto find some Corrosion-X....I have found this stuff to be the most useful tool I own. They use it on Blackhawk helicopter electronics and hardware....it's some wicked sh*t!!! We also used to use it on them big-***, severelyabused diesel motors in the army when we couldn't get bolts out...it works great.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They are way to tight if you are breaking stuff. The should be snug. The o ring will seal so it does not need much pressure.

You can put the kick stand on a 2X4 and get the bike close to upright. You should be able to see the oil just touching the teeth of the gear when looking down in there. That is full. (says it in the service manuel.) Or drain it and pour in 1 qt.

Quick Reply: What the Torx is this for?