Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black widows in my bike! YIKES!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:19 AM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Default RE: Black widows in my bike! YIKES!

I killed a big Black Widow spider in my garage just last week. There are times and places here in AZ that they are EVERYWHERE.

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:19 AM
TAZ61
Advanced

But id put up with a little spider for a few extra months of riding anytime.
Mn. is a good place to be, for 3-4 months a year, lol.

06 Artic pearl white 883C
cycles shack slash cut.

Old 05-31-2007 | 12:53 AM
CyclChyk
Road Warrior

Don't kid yourself. Black widow bites are BAD - the venom is 14 times more poisonous than rattlesnakes - but because they are so small, rarely will cause death. Just some nasty swelling, pain, nausea, etc. I have quite a number of them around my house as well. Brown recluses are bad news too, but people react differently to spider bites, just like with bee stings.

I read that when female black widows find an ideal "home" they will stay there for their entire life. Looks like yours might be of the biker variety

Old 05-31-2007 | 02:33 AM
ColoradoRider
Intermediate

I spent a little over 2 1/2 years in Alamogordo (Holloman AFB) in the mid 90's, and I remember seeing quite a few BW's, rattlers and vinegaroon's in my time in the desert (if you don't know what a vinegaroon is, check out this link: http://www.georgiareptilerescue.com/...vinegaroon.jpg). NM is definitely a place whereyou need to watch out for the creepy-crawlies. I had a soft top Jeep in my time down there, and plenty of times I found BW's and other assorted "Land of Enchantment"critters waiting for me on my seats in the morning drive out to my squadron.

I'm glad to hear that you seem to have cleared your scoot of unwanted passengers!!!

Old 05-31-2007 | 09:37 AM
outdoorgirl57
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: ColoradoRider

vinegaroon's in my time in the desert
Oh, I have that covered too. I have one living under my front porch. But I've yet tohave a scorpion in my house, so I prize that vinegaroon...ugly or not. I told ya....this is like living in Jurassic Park!

Old 05-31-2007 | 10:02 AM
brauny1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SportyPig
Outdoorsgirl, I've had many dealings with Black Widow Spiders. Best way to deal with them is bug fog,that specifically lists Black Widows as an enemy. I assume you park your bike inan enclosed area. (Black Widows aren't usually out in the elements) Just get about twice as much bug fog as you think you need, cover the bike losely with a sheet, set off the fog bombs...go have a couple of beers, and the Black Widows will be gone at least for a couple of years.
+1, Very nasty! A buddy at work was bit by one. He was laid out for 2 weeks in the hospital, he still hasn't fully recovered. the venom attacks the central nervous system and in his casehis joints give him grief, wicked...

Old 06-01-2007 | 04:00 PM
jedsporty883
Tourer

Having grown up in Southwest Florida, I have a hatred for Scorpions. I worked in a State Park and lived in a state -owned trailer for awhile and the place was crawling with Scorpions. They would sit on top of the doors and when you opened the doors they would fall on you. They crawled on the floors, outside in the woods they could be found all over. You never stuck a hand under anything without looking first. I got hit three times in eleven years, the last time in a state vehicle when one came from behind and walked across my collar and nailed me in the chin while I was driving. We have the same kind here in the Pigeon Forge area in the higher elevations where it it is dry and desert-like. Not as potent as the Arizona species, but they hurt big time. If a BW could make a home in a Harley, a paper-thin scorpion could surely do it also.

Old 06-01-2007 | 04:06 PM
outdoorgirl57
|
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jedsporty883

If a BW could make a home in a Harley, a paper-thin scorpion could surely do it also.
That is why I like my big, ugly vinegaroon!