Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enough power to run heated grips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 07:57 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I ride every winter. Three of the bikes that I have used had heated grips. For the others I use heated gloves. The heated grips have out performed the gloves every time. The issue with no fairing so that the wind will cool the grips. Really? With your hands around them the wind does not get to the grips however it will cool the heated gloves.

It was in the mid thirties and raining in the Canadian Rockies on the Alaskan trip that I did. I only was wearing thin mechanics gloves. The bike was a Buell Ulysses XT. The heated grips had two settings of high and low. I had them on low and periodically had to turn them off as they got too hot. I laugh every time I hear a comment that the tops of your hands will get cold. Who evers says that does not understand that the blood that gets heated by the grips circulates through the entire hand. They did a great job on that trip.

With the heated gloves that I use on the Sportster from the mid thirties down can not keep up with the cooling by the wind. I carry some large plastic rain mittens to pull over them to keep the temperature up.

I also have wind breakers for the grips that I got at a snowmobile store. Here is a picture of them on a bike. They attach with velcro straps so I can move them from bike to bike. But in the twenties I still need to cover the heated gloves or add heat packs.

I save money on the bikes without heated grips by just using an adaptor that connects to the tender lead and the other end is the RCA connector to the gloves instead of adding a glove RCA connector to each bike.

From my years of experience heated grips are the best.

Those look like the old "Hippo Hands" - are they those or something else??

Where in Illinois are you? I have a Sunday Brunch ride every week - as long as the roads are dry. You are more then welcome to ride with us.
I have both heated grips and gloves and the problem I have are the pads of my finger tips freeze up. I contacted Gerbing to see if they could rewire the gloves so that the wires would go from bottom to top of the fingers instead of around the sides of the fingers - I have no problem with the sides of my fingers getting cold - just the finger tip pads. Do you have that problem??

Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM
Maccam26
Tourer
Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Just an FYI - heated grips work best on bikes with a fairing (baggers) that blocks the wind from hitting your fingers/hands.
Unless you have a fairing or wind guards, you might want to consider heated gloves, like these from Gerbing.
I'll second this, I've had heated grips on an 06 xl883c and front of hands still froze, got gloves now, much better!

Old 12-16-2016, 12:00 PM
aecs
Road Master

Received 412 Likes on 230 Posts

I have tried the thick winter gloves, and anything that is warm enough, I am not comfortable with as I cannot work the brake and clutch like I like. Am going to try the heated grips with midweight gloves, if its still to much, hippo hands it is....

Old 12-16-2016, 06:02 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Gary: I am about 150 miles west of Halsted at the I-80 ramp. I used to live in Hazel Crest until I retired. Where do you meet? If there is a clear Sunday sometime through the winter I would like to get in a 300 mile ride on I-80.

Those are just a wind deflector not full fledged Hippo Hands which I think are out of production. I got a set of Polaris version with no fleece lining but you insert your hands into them. They push on the brake lever and that's not good.

With the Gerbings I slip the big oversized orange mittens over them and can keep my hands warm into the teens. I got those in the 70's to help direct traffic when at an accident in a rain storm. Don't remember where I got them and have never seen them anywhere since. A little hard to do some controls with them like the turn signals.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Gary: I am about 150 miles west of Halsted at the I-80 ramp. I used to live in Hazel Crest until I retired. Where do you meet? If there is a clear Sunday sometime through the winter I would like to get in a 300 mile ride on I-80.

Those are just a wind deflector not full fledged Hippo Hands which I think are out of production. I got a set of Polaris version with no fleece lining but you insert your hands into them. They push on the brake lever and that's not good.

With the Gerbings I slip the big oversized orange mittens over them and can keep my hands warm into the teens. I got those in the 70's to help direct traffic when at an accident in a rain storm. Don't remember where I got them and have never seen them anywhere since. A little hard to do some controls with them like the turn signals.
OK, you're out by Moline??
I believe Hippo Hands are still being made in Oregon.
We usually meet at our dealer, Wild Fire in Villa Park, then if we're riding west we'll meet additional riders at the McDonalds on North Ave and Rt. 59 in West Chicago. We normally ride west/northwest for about an hour to a brew pub/tavern for brunch.

I love the new hybred Gerbing gloves. Not nearly as bulky as the standard heated gloves. Plus I can wear then while shoveling snow or other outdoor activity. But the do cost a bunch of $$$$$

Only problem I have is the tips of my fingers get cold fast. The gloves or heated grips don't help in the area at all.
Send me your e-mail and I can let you know what Sundays we will be riding. Only requirement we have is the roads have to be dry.