Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand Spring is too long.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 06:17 AM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I just picked up a 2016 Street Bob, 153 miles. I'm only 5'5". I agree on the jiffy stand issue. It doesn't fit correctly and the rider must lean the bike to the right to get it down correctly otherwise it bottoms out before it's fully deployed. Last Tuesday I had a urgent situation where I had to deploy the stand and get off the bike in a hurry and it didn't deploy fully. The bike fell on my left foot and broke the fifth metatarsal. I'm in a splint now. Today I see the doctor again. I may need surgery and a pin installed in my foot. 6-8 weeks recovery time.

Old 05-14-2018, 06:38 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,961 Likes on 1,336 Posts

Originally Posted by SluggoMagoo
I just picked up a 2016 Street Bob, 153 miles. I'm only 5'5". I agree on the jiffy stand issue. It doesn't fit correctly and the rider must lean the bike to the right to get it down correctly otherwise it bottoms out before it's fully deployed. Last Tuesday I had a urgent situation where I had to deploy the stand and get off the bike in a hurry and it didn't deploy fully. The bike fell on my left foot and broke the fifth metatarsal. I'm in a splint now. Today I see the doctor again. I may need surgery and a pin installed in my foot. 6-8 weeks recovery time.
Ouch! Hope you heal up. Did you damage your bike?

Perhaps your kickstand is too long, or someone lowered your bike and now you need a shorter kickstand?

John

Old 05-14-2018, 07:33 PM
SluggoMagoo
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Ouch! Hope you heal up. Did you damage your bike?

Perhaps your kickstand is too long, or someone lowered your bike and now you need a shorter kickstand?

John
No visible damage. There's a small scratch on the left blinker which you couldn't find unless you new about it. The bike was custom built by Harley Davidson and it only had 155 miles on it three weeks ago when I purchased it. There's no lowering kit. I've read several threads (one here) that some people have had issues with the deployment of the jiffy stand. Funny I knew after a couple of days that I had to go slightly right past center otherwise it would bottom out before it was fully deployed. All it took was on hurried exit from the bike to put me out of commission for 6-8 weeks. I told the dealer about it but, I don't think they have any service bulletins regarding it. I guess I could have them measure the jiffy stand and see if it adds up.