Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem or somthing else ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 11:31 AM
JAMUS07
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
I have visited them once, but otherwise don't know them. I really do recommend you demand to see the branch manager, or whoever is top dog. You have a strong case it seems to me and the very least they should do is find out what the problem actually is. It is clutch plates that are not warranted, however there could well be some other failure that has ruined the plates, if that is the case. Until they strip and inspect, the true problem cannot be identified and that labour should be covered by your warranty IMHO.
The bike was taken in for first gear not engaging or jumping back out when is engaged from neutral. In both occasions they readjusted the clutch. I told them to look a little more in to it, but was assured that if anything happens the bike is under warranty. Well when came to it, they backed off. Don’t get me wrong here I love my Harleys, and don’t think will be riding anything else. Oh well the battle begins.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by JAMUS07
The bike was taken in for first gear not engaging or jumping back out when is engaged from neutral. In both occasions they readjusted the clutch. I told them to look a little more in to it, but was assured that if anything happens the bike is under warranty. Well when came to it, they backed off. Don’t get me wrong here I love my Harleys, and don’t think will be riding anything else. Oh well the battle begins.
Best of luck! I've owned the silly things for over 40 years, and have had the odd battle in the past. Just remember that the Harleys still live here in England and the Davidsons were Scots, so they are British bikes after all!!!!

Old 12-20-2016, 11:50 AM
JAMUS07
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
Best of luck! I've owned the silly things for over 40 years, and have had the odd battle in the past. Just remember that the Harleys still live here in England and the Davidsons were Scots, so they are British bikes after all!!!!
LoL dude,that made my day.

Old 12-20-2016, 12:36 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

I did clutch adjustment not too long ago, and was't done by someone else but me and done right. Its just the principle, loyalty to us costumers..Am I asking for too much? How do you abuse a clutch on Harley? All I’ve done is the occasional fathering in traffic.

These words must have a different meaning in England...

Make sure you have a factory clutch. Pull the clutch and measure the plates, inspect for heat and flatness. Be sure they are not too tight on the inner drive lugs and outer drive in clutch hub. Make sure the adjuster thread is smooth it's whole length. Lever the clutch when finding the no play to be sure you are truly there before the back off. Back off exactly what it says in manual when cold.. Make sure your cable free play is minimum amount at both lock positions of the bars but no less then that. What is fathering in traffic in London?

Old 12-20-2016, 12:38 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
What is fathering in traffic in London?
I suspect that is 'feathering'!

Old 12-20-2016, 01:12 PM
JAMUS07
Novice

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I did clutch adjustment not too long ago, and was't done by someone else but me and done right. Its just the principle, loyalty to us costumers..Am I asking for too much? How do you abuse a clutch on Harley? All I’ve done is the occasional fathering in traffic.

These words must have a different meaning in England...

Make sure you have a factory clutch. Pull the clutch and measure the plates, inspect for heat and flatness. Be sure they are not too tight on the inner drive lugs and outer drive in clutch hub. Make sure the adjuster thread is smooth it's whole length. Lever the clutch when finding the no play to be sure you are truly there before the back off. Back off exactly what it says in manual when cold.. Make sure your cable free play is minimum amount at both lock positions of the bars but no less then that. What is fathering in traffic in London?
I meant "feathering". I’m not British, just guy from Baltimore, MD living in London for now.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

I always wanted to try "fathering" in traffic.... Was just afraid of getting arrested.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:16 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,854 Likes on 11,600 Posts

"Fathering" a clutch is very weird...especially in traffic.

Old 12-21-2016, 07:14 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,998 Likes on 4,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratwerke
I always wanted to try "fathering" in traffic.... Was just afraid of getting arrested.
Auto-sex on a bike just may be a little more conspicuous then a cage!???

Old 12-26-2016, 04:35 PM
JAMUS07
Novice

Well all clutch drama is over now. Dealer fixed it under warranty and installed SE clutch as it was cheaper then stock. Go figure that one.

And just as wife and i were walking around the dealer we bought this one 2016 Breakout used with 7200miles on it. We thought will be a nice for her to get the Sportster and me go back to big twins.

Mary Christmas Everyone

Quick Reply: Clutch problem or somthing else ?