Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem or somthing else ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 10:08 AM
JAMUS07
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it turned out that the clutch is completely shot dead, sense the bike's still under warranty I took it to the dealer and guess what guys? I have to pay for it because the clutch is “consumable” item and Harley will not cover it under the warranty.Way to go Harley This is the first time I had to use the “warranty” on any of my Harleys over the years, very disappointed with Harley.
So I might just bring the bike back and do it my self. Cheaper maybe.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by JAMUS07
So it turned out that the clutch is completely shot dead, sense the bike's still under warranty I took it to the dealer and guess what guys? I have to pay for it because the clutch is “consumable” item and Harley will not cover it under the warranty.Way to go Harley This is the first time I had to use the “warranty” on any of my Harleys over the years, very disappointed with Harley.
So I might just bring the bike back and do it my self. Cheaper maybe.
Unfortunately you have no right to be upset by Harley, any more than if the tyres or brake pads were worn out, as they are all subject to rider use and misuse. That clutch has been seriously abused by the sound of it, or not adjusted correctly. When did your bike last have a dealer service? If you've owned it from new, while it will be cheaper to do it yourself, it needs someone who is confident of what they are doing to strip clean and rebuild it, so it works properly in future and doesn't repeatedly fail. If you are confident of being able to do that.....

Old 12-20-2016, 10:39 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

I agree with GR, no motor company warranties a clutch or other wear items, I have shuttered just hearing how some guys abuse the clutch of Harleys.
I'd bring it home and do it my self, just need the service manual and either buy or make the tool and do it your self. That way you have the choice of what brand of clutch you want (good time to get away from the factory clutch with it's spring plate anyway) and you know it's done right if you do it your self.
Lots of vids on youtube on changing the clutch and making the spring compressor tool.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:39 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,997 Likes on 4,188 Posts

I think you need to let them do it. These clutches are huge. My bike has 50K and I was in primary to fix the alternator rotor that my friend ripped the spline off smoking the tire and it blew stopping the motor suddenly. The wear on the clutch drive and driven disks was un-measurable with a micrometer that reads in .001 English after all those miles. Obviously, someone did not adjust it correctly as stated in post 4. Sporties are different in the back off which is quite small since the adjuster is coarse thread and they pull rather then push to release like the bigger bikes. However, the only way you could have burnt it up was to have the cable too tight which would basically be pulling in the clutch a little when you applied full power. Usually the exact opposite in clutch adjustment are made when done incorrectly and they do not pull in clutch enough to disengage. Then the bike is hard to shift and pulls even when fully disengage with lever.
They could be just blowing smoke and padding your pocket unless you truly just let the motor scream while it was not pulling hard.
Just how experience a mechanic are you? If you are qualified, I would sure check it out. But qualified means you have done it before or have someone there who has and have a proven track record. Don't blame Harley for not warrantying wear items. They also don't honor abused items if they can prove it.

Old 12-20-2016, 10:46 AM
JAMUS07
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
Unfortunately you have no right to be upset by Harley, any more than if the tyres or brake pads were worn out, as they are all subject to rider use and misuse. That clutch has been seriously abused by the sound of it, or not adjusted correctly. When did your bike last have a dealer service? If you've owned it from new, while it will be cheaper to do it yourself, it needs someone who is confident of what they are doing to strip clean and rebuild it, so it works properly in future and doesn't repeatedly fail. If you are confident of being able to do that.....
Dude, the bike has only 4200 miles on it, yes I own it from new, and the last two times it was serviced by Harley and specifically the clutch adjustment. It just didn’t fell right from new that’s why it was taken to the dealer, and every time they’d say “Oh its ok, nothings wrong with it” You see that’s what fires me up. Yes I have the ability to rebuild the clutch, done more then that on the scoters. But that is not the point here.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member

If that's the case then press the matter with a senior manager at the dealership. You've done the right thing by asking them to check, then they do IMHO have a duty to sort it out. At the least they should strip it and check what condition it is currently in.

Which of the many Londons are you in?

Old 12-20-2016, 11:02 AM
JAMUS07
Novice

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I think you need to let them do it. These clutches are huge. My bike has 50K and I was in primary to fix the alternator rotor that my friend ripped the spline off smoking the tire and it blew stopping the motor suddenly. The wear on the clutch drive and driven disks was un-measurable with a micrometer that reads in .001 English after all those miles. Obviously, someone did not adjust it correctly as stated in post 4. Sporties are different in the back off which is quite small since the adjuster is coarse thread and they pull rather then push to release like the bigger bikes. However, the only way you could have burnt it up was to have the cable too tight which would basically be pulling in the clutch a little when you applied full power. Usually the exact opposite in clutch adjustment are made when done incorrectly and they do not pull in clutch enough to disengage. Then the bike is hard to shift and pulls even when fully disengage with lever.
They could be just blowing smoke and padding your pocket unless you truly just let the motor scream while it was not pulling hard.
Just how experience a mechanic are you? If you are qualified, I would sure check it out. But qualified means you have done it before or have someone there who has and have a proven track record. Don't blame Harley for not warrantying wear items. They also don't honor abused items if they can prove it.
Thanks for your input RIPSAW,
I’m well versed on how clutches work, been riding and working on Harleys (bikes in general) for many years. Its just the principle, loyalty to us costumers. Am I asking for too much?
Abuse? How do you abuse a clutch on Harley? All I’ve done is the occasional fathering in traffic

Old 12-20-2016, 11:04 AM
JAMUS07
Novice

Originally Posted by grbrown
If that's the case then press the matter with a senior manager at the dealership. You've done the right thing by asking them to check, then they do IMHO have a duty to sort it out. At the least they should strip it and check what condition it is currently in.

Which of the many Londons are you in?
Harley Davidson, Guilford

Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Dude, the bike has only 4200 miles on it, yes I own it from new, and the last two times it was serviced by Harley and specifically the clutch adjustment. It just didn’t fell right from new that’s why it was taken to the dealer, and every time they’d say “Oh its ok, nothings wrong with it” You see that’s what fires me up. Yes I have the ability to rebuild the clutch, done more then that on the scoters. But that is not the point here.
​​​​​​
that sucks. Go ahead and fix it yourself if you can. If not, let them or an independent shop do it. Just order the clutch plates you want and take it to them rather than using the less yhan fantastic oem parts. Tons of info here in the forum.

energy one and bartett are good choices.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Harley Davidson, Guilford
I have visited them once, but otherwise don't know them. I really do recommend you demand to see the branch manager, or whoever is top dog. You have a strong case it seems to me and the very least they should do is find out what the problem actually is. It is clutch plates that are not warranted, however there could well be some other failure that has ruined the plates, if that is the case. Until they strip and inspect, the true problem cannot be identified and that labour should be covered by your warranty IMHO.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem or somthing else ?