Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kevin,Devin, everyone

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

Originally Posted by Tileman2692
That's exactly what's happening, bingo!
How does that " tower " " jet " come out?
I think you are referring to the "accelerator pump nozzle?" Let's keep our nomenclature straight, it helps diagnosis.

I did not remove mine when I cleaned my carb, but mine was not clogged. It looks like using some soft jaws in a vise you can gently hold the brass nozzle and gently twist it out. Or use some pliers with tape wrapped on the jaws. Just be sure you align the outlet to point at the needle in the carb when you reinstall the nozzle. I think the bowl itself has an alignment mark IIRC.

John

Old 12-14-2016, 05:26 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 549 Likes on 281 Posts

Ok I discided it's not the carb, got to be fuel delivery. Looking hard add gas and vacuum, I'll let all know how I do.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior

I just don't know, she went from running really good running except for dexcelleration popping and once in a while back fire to running for a while with the rejet and getting worse till it just will not run. I have re done the carb aleast 3 times and as far as I know all is right on. The last time I had the carb off I checked the float position and it was good and I replaced the float valve with a 4 sided valve. Have replaced the petcock and filter. went with a pectcock w/o vac. And plugged up the vac. hose that went to it just in case it wasn't letting gas run to the carb. Plugs were black so I brushed them clean and started off again w/ the 1. 3/4 turn out . Starts up runs for 10 - 15 seconds and Boggs out, with no coughing or back fire, does this twice and then will not start at all after that. It seemed not to be getting any gas but with filter and petcock replaced you would think she's got gas. Can't even get her started to fine tune her. Can this be a electrical issue? This is got me

Last edited by Tileman2692; 12-15-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 06:12 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

I just don't know, she went from running really good running except for dexcelleration popping and once in a while back fire to running for a while with the rejet and getting worse till it just will not run. I have re done the carb aleast 3 times and as far as I know all is right on. The last time I had the carb off I checked the float position and it was good and I replaced the float valve with a 4 sided valve. Have replaced the petcock and filter. went with a pectcock w/o vac. And plugged up the vac. hose that went to it just in case it wasn't letting gas run to the carb. Plugs were black so I brushed them clean and started off again w/ the 1. 3/4 turn out . Starts up runs for 10 - 15 seconds and Boggs out, with no coughing or back fire, does this twice and then will not start at all after that. It seemed not to be getting any gas but with filter and petcock replaced you would think she's got gas. Can't even get her started to fine tune her. Can this be a electrical issue? This is got me
Did you check for spark right after it dies? I put some details on how to do that in the email I sent you.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 12-15-2016, 06:42 PM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Read post 25,the bike ran for 5 mins then he put the ac on and now the bike will not run,i suggested taking the ac off and seeing if the bike would run.
The plugs are sooted up,i would think lack of air.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:14 AM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior

Now it doesn't with or without. I let her sit for Approx an HR or so,get back and give it a go with the AC on and she'll fire up and bog out after 5-10 seconds. Try to start her up right after she bogs out and just she'lll fire up again, but again shuts down. No cough or back fire just shuts down. It sounds like no gas. I picked up new gas line and will install that . I have Sat. Off if she doesn't get running I'll tear the carb down again and check the filter again

Old 12-16-2016, 06:18 AM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
Did you check for spark right after it dies? I put some details on how to do that in the email I sent you.
Yes did.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:27 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,224 Likes on 2,458 Posts

Now it doesn't with or without. I let her sit for Approx an HR or so,get back and give it a go with the AC on and she'll fire up and bog out after 5-10 seconds. Try to start her up right after she bogs out and just she'lll fire up again, but again shuts down. No cough or back fire just shuts down. It sounds like no gas. I picked up new gas line and will install that . I have Sat. Off if she doesn't get running I'll tear the carb down again and check the filter again
Yes, that does sound like no gas...and you tried with the gas cap off also?

Old 12-16-2016, 09:38 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,974 Likes on 1,346 Posts

When you replace the fuel inlet valve (float valve) did you re-check the float setting? The three and four side valves are different lengths.

Is the needle jet installed correctly? You should be able to look into the throat of the carb and see the needle sticking into the exposed part to the needle jet. It often is installed upside down by mistake.

Did you blow out all the passages, with all jets and mixture needle removed? This is where my carb problem was, clogged pilot passages.

Is your choke enrichener valve working? Or is it not closing and flooding the engine after startup?

John

Last edited by John Harper; 12-16-2016 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:29 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior

Yes yes and yes. I disconnected the fuel line and drained about 2 cups of gas and wow! Black particals in the fuel....not good I guess the filters not addiaquit. Gonna remove the tank and clean and seal with Kareem , and hopefully that will be the end of it. Junk keeps clogging up my jets

Quick Reply: Kevin,Devin, everyone