Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Sportster

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 06:56 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,180 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by whittlebeast
T^2

In log view, plot MAPxRPM and Duty Cycle on the same graph

then on the next plot, do MAP and Pulse Width

It turns out that on a well tuned motor if you do a scatter plot, MAPxRPM is essentially the same thing as a Mass Air Flow. If you double RPM, the air processed by the motor doubles. If you double MAP, you double the air processed by the motor. MAPxRPM vs Duty Cycle winds up a linear function.

Here is a well tuned hyper motor that I tune. Look at the data on the right.

http://www.nbs-stl.com/MLVDemo/030%2...sicAfrView.png

I have been looking at all sorts of motors with this software about 2 hours a day for the last 5 years. This almost always holds true except for ITB motors and motors with VVT.

Andy

Gathered that MAP x RPM was a representation for Air and the Duty Cycle was an indication of Fuel delivery. Still not sure how to really put that plot to use. One thing I see when you post those plots is that the Z axis tends to vary. For example, in the previous post you plotted AFF. In this link you plotted AFR. Z axis doesn't really matter for this? You just need something to give you hits? The second thing... What if you have some non-linearity in the plot? What is that telling you? Do you have example plots of such occurrences? If the curve has a bend down and to the right, that would mean less fuel being delivered for a given air flow. Does that mean the ECM is seeing a rich condition? Same token on the other side. If you have a bend up and to the left, that would indicate more fuel delivery for a given air flow. ECM seeing a lean condition? What if you have a wide spread linearity vs a narrow line? What's that telling you? At any given air flow you could have a widely varying fuel delivery? Why would that happen?

Just trying to see the utility of the plot - what it's telling me exactly and how it can be put to use.

That's why I said I like to keep it simple and look at plots like I posted. It's immediately apparent what I'm looking at and what it's telling me. Granted, I'm not an expert at this and perhaps there just something that I'm missing/not seeing in terms of value/utility in those plots.

Last edited by T^2; 12-07-2016 at 07:00 AM.