Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am a Wing Ding

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 09:51 PM
stevegray
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am a Wing Ding

for now. Since my HD is in the shop after my rear ending earlier this month, and the dealer thinks it will take 6-8 weeks just to order the parts, my Dad brought up his old Gold Wing for me to ride. It's a black 83 interstate with only a cool 39,000 miles on it. Gives me a good bike to ride while I wait for mine to get done. He brought it all the way from Virginia to PA.

As nice as the gold wing is, driving a different bike makes me appreciate how much more power my Sportster has, and how much better it handles. I am thankful for the gold wing now though, without it I would be missing out on all the best riding of the summer, and missing out on 50mpg while gas prices continue to rise.

It is kind of neat having the gold wing now, it was actually the first bike I ever rode on with my dad when I was a kid.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: I am a Wing Ding

Nostalgic no doubt, but it will make you appreciate the sportster all the more!

Ride safe, and in no time, you'll be back on the Harley!

Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 PM
joel85
Road Captain

Every time I see a goldwing I can't help but say aloud, "holy s*** that thing is bigger than my car!"

Old 05-26-2007, 10:16 PM
stevegray
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: joel85

Every time I see a goldwing I can't help but say aloud, "holy s*** that thing is bigger than my car!"
most of them have a better sound system too. I will say i like the older wings much better, the new ones are just insane...airbags? they put effin airbags in them!

Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 PM
RICHE
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats cool your dad hooked you up.The old goldwings didn't look so bad but the new ones look like spaceships.I was looking at one tonight and you cant even see the engine and bareiy can see the wheels there so much body work on it and what really blows my mind is the giant windscreen and side wind deflectors so this way when you ride you dont feel the wind.Its pretty much half a honda civic.Well what ever your into.[sm=biker.gif]

Old 05-26-2007, 10:53 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was at a Honda dealer a couple of weeks ago. Took a girl there on the back of my bike to pick up her Honda 750 (whatever model it is). I sat on a Gold Wing there in the showroom. I couldn't believe it!! You can't even see the freekin forks, or the front wheel on those new Gold Wings. I wouldn't ride one, I'd be skeered. The already have air bags, and a heater, and I hear the 08's will have air conditioning. The one I sat on was already bigger than my daughter's Mazda Miata. They may as well put a bubble on them, and call them the first 2 wheeled car.

I also told my dad about it. He's always liked the Gold Wings. I'd love for him to buy a bike. He's getting ready to retire, and it would be awesome to ride with him!!! No way he'd buy a Harley, but he might buy that Gold Wing.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:09 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: stevegray

Since my HD is in the shop after my rear ending earlier this month, and the dealer thinks it will take 6-8 weeks just to order the parts
Daaaaammm!!! 6-8 weeks... You'd think you were riding a hand built, one of a kindmachine... what's up with that???

Charlie D.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:27 AM
Thongs2U
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Might as well come to Nashville for the gold wing "Wing Ding" festival at Opryland Hotel. They get a zillion or more bike in for the event.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:25 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Thongs2U

Might as well come to Nashville for the gold wing "Wing Ding" festival at Opryland Hotel. They get a zillion or more bike in for the event.
Yup, that's for sure. A half zillion bikes, and half zillion trikes,pulling out of a parking lot and you can still hear the radio in a convertible without turning up the volume.

Hopefully, this weeks State HOG rally at Opryland will have as good of a turnout. If not, I'm certain there will be a lot more "rumble" at the "glass palace".

Old 05-27-2007, 04:11 PM
seldont
Intermediate

After riding an Electra Glide for a year now a Gold Wing does not seem so big anymore. They have no soul tho. It really is an Accord on two wheels. No rumble, no roar, no feeling. But, those big suckers will absolutely move for something that large. I got off one and back on my wife's Sportster and I thought for a minute I was on a moped. Then I cracked the throttle pretty hard and brought myself back to life.

Quick Reply: I am a Wing Ding