Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

using the craftsman lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 02:12 PM
niskyne
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default using the craftsman lift

Per many reviews on this forum, I just got the Craftsman motorcycle lift (red one) from Sears, and will be doing my first oil change on the bike in a few hours today.

My question: Is there any specific technique to use the lift to lift the motorcycle? For example placement on the bottom frame, should I have someone stand the bike upright first, where to strap it down to (i have 2 motorcycle straps), etc.

It scares the sh** out of me because I don't want to drop the bike by trying to lift it. When I had my sports bike and used the swingarm stand to lift the rear, it scared me because in my head since the bike is slanted on the kickstand, when you try to lift it up it will be off balance for a second and may risk tipping, and same for this situation.

Any help or advice is GREATLY appreciated

Thanks everyone!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:18 PM
UNCCHarley
Road Master
Default RE: using the craftsman lift

Here you go, hope this helps. I was having problems with mine and many forum members were gracious enough to help me out here:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1650046/tm.htm

Old 05-26-2007, 02:18 PM
XL1200N
Road Master

I put the lift towards the front of the frame. Make sure the kickstand is down at all times, so when you lower it to the ground it doesn't fall over. The bike is pretty stable on the lift. If your bike is lowered, you will have to lean in towards the kickstand to get the lift under it.

Brian

Old 05-26-2007, 02:21 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Since a Sporty is narrow framed, I generally use tie downs to keep it from tipping over from side to side. I put them on the ends of the grips using soft ties. I work from the right side. I just stand the bike up, roll the jack under with my foot and jack it up.

You need to know how to use your new lift, but you don't really need a lift for an oil change. IMO, it just gets in the way of the oil catchpan.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17633/8F722E4AFC084332822EB7A9461ABB3B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-26-2007, 02:36 PM
niskyne
Intermediate

wow you guys are awesome here. All the help I needed in under 10 minutes

Thanks!

Old 05-26-2007, 02:39 PM
capttawes
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just run my jack up under the bike with a couple blocks of scrap under the kickstand to hold it up straight (my rear is lowered and front std. hgt. and it goes under just fine). I position the front of the jack just behind the front weld bracket on the frame and one of the cross supports between the frame tubes rest on the rear pad of the jack and I push it under till it almost touches the spring on the kicstand. Once jacked up to desired hgt. I run the front strap over the front rocker cover (protected with cloth) and the rear over the transmission and starter (protected with cloth) andtighten it down. With it strapped like this the whole jack will flip before it you can rock the bike offof it. It really is easier when changing the oil and draining the primary to leave it on the kiskstand vs. jacking, and much easier filling the primary though with it held vertical on the jack.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:13 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a search on an earlier post of mine hope this helps

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1422961/tm.htm

Don't have any pictures of it straped down, just be carefull of the exhaust when lifting and a helper on the first few lifts is nice.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:53 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OMG...I bet it's too late...DON'T USE THE JACK TO DO AN OIL CHANGE.

I have the red craftsman jack, and I love it, but the oil change will go MUCH MUCH easier not on the jack...Trust me on this one. It took several bags of kitty litter to clean up the mess I made when I did an oil change on the jack.

[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 05-26-2007, 07:34 PM
niskyne
Intermediate

Sportypig: Actually, I didn't do it yet...too nice of a day out and was tempted to go for a ride instead . I'll do it sometime next week.

The reason why I thought I'd use the jack for the oil change is because I need to check the dipstick while the bike is upright, and it's kind of hard to reach for it while I'm on it. But I'll take your advise and do it on the jiffystand instead.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:56 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, and this is another issue that comes upfrequently here. DON'T FOLLOW THE MANUAL ON HOW MUCH OIL TO USE!!!

Use 3 quarts, put about 4 ounces of that into the oil filter before you install the filter. Check the oil on the KICKSTAND (I hate "jiffystand") as long as the level is just at or above the low line, with the engine cold. That will be perfect.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUN THE BIKE WITH THE OIL AT THE FULL MARK ON THE DIPSTICK!!!!

Do a search on oil Blow-by here on the forum..

Oh, and btw, don't feel bad about this...I was just as **** retentive about getting the oil level EXACTLY at the full mark as it sounds like you are. Three totally distroyed air filters later...duh..I got the message.