Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery of Harley Davidson Iron 883 2014

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 03:12 AM
jaho
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery of Harley Davidson Iron 883 2014

Hi Guys,

I am going overseas in December for 8 days. My concern with my bike is that, if I don't run it for consecutive for 2 straight days, it would be very difficult to start which seems like a very weak battery. ( daily starting up is fine). I am quite sure if I don't start it off in a week, very likely I wouldn't be able to start the bike when I returned from my trip.

I do not have access to battery tender AC plug-in at my parking bay. I am thinking if I should replace a new battery and hoping it will be able to hold the voltage for 8 days for not running the bike or change a new battery and disengage the Main fuse to prevent the security system from draining the battery.

Would any of you be able to advise which are the better options or are there any alternatives. The worst case scenario if I don't do anything is to have the bike toll to Harley workshop for battery replacement when I returned from my trip. I am also concerned will the security alarm triggers off when the battery goes flat and I am overseas during that time.

Many thanks in advance for comments if any.

Old 10-11-2016, 06:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

To start with, take the battery off the bike. If it is old and on it's last legs, simply dispose of it (responsibly!). When you get back, buy a new one, charge it and fit. Alternatively take the current one indoors and put it on a tender until you get home.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-11-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Revised.
Old 10-11-2016, 07:53 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
To start with, take the battery off the bike. If it is old and on it's last legs, simply dispose of it (responsibly!). When you get back, buy a new one, charge it and fit. Alternatively take the current one indoors and put it on a tender until you get home.
^this^

Old 10-11-2016, 08:20 AM
JayTee2015
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are gone for 8 days and don't want to worry about battery drain. . . just pull the main fuse and leave it in the house. Turn the ignition on first before removing it so the security alarm will not go off.

That way, you do not have to remove the battery. Even if you need a new battery, you can always remove the main fuse to disconnect everything.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 AM
jaho
5th Gear

Originally Posted by JayTee2015
If you are gone for 8 days and don't want to worry about battery drain. . . just pull the main fuse and leave it in the house. Turn the ignition on first before removing it so the security alarm will not go off.

That way, you do not have to remove the battery. Even if you need a new battery, you can always remove the main fuse to disconnect everything.
thanks . . That's what I have in mind too. . Just need assurance that it wouldn't triggers any security alarm on my bike even if someone accidentally touches it.

Old 10-11-2016, 10:00 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Turning on the ignition will disarm the alarm then pulling the fuse (while the ignition is on) will shut down all power. This is what I do if the bikes sits for any length of time. I hate removing the battery especially with center posts and so much stuff connected to the battery.

Old 10-11-2016, 04:51 PM
eki912
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I presume your iron is my -14 ?
And Your battery only last for few days ?
Something is wrong. Mine is -12, still on original battery that has gone flat 2 times.... but only after several months of non use. After charging it, still works just fine.
Last time it did not go totally empty, but didn't have enough power to start.

Luckily I have purchased the starting aid battery thingy ( Antigravity XP5 ),connected it, started easily, just like that. And it is soooooo easy to carry around with you. A lot easier than taking the battery out ( for charging ) for example. The whole starting operation with that took about 2 mins.

Last edited by eki912; 10-11-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 08:11 PM
jaho
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hscic
Turning on the ignition will disarm the alarm then pulling the fuse (while the ignition is on) will shut down all power. This is what I do if the bikes sits for any length of time. I hate removing the battery especially with center posts and so much stuff connected to the battery.
thank you for the advice.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:13 PM
jaho
5th Gear

Originally Posted by eki912
I presume your iron is my -14 ?
And Your battery only last for few days ?
Something is wrong. Mine is -12, still on original battery that has gone flat 2 times.... but only after several months of non use. After charging it, still works just fine.
Last time it did not go totally empty, but didn't have enough power to start.

Luckily I have purchased the starting aid battery thingy ( Antigravity XP5 ),connected it, started easily, just like that. And it is soooooo easy to carry around with you. A lot easier than taking the battery out ( for charging ) for example. The whole starting operation with that took about 2 mins.
This is my first time heard of the Antigravity. . Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:05 PM
eki912
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Antigravity I referred to, and have is this :

https://shop.antigravitybatteries.co...o-starts/xp-5/

It doesn't fix your battery, if it is bad, but is so easy to carry with you, if you need starting help.

Quick Reply: Battery of Harley Davidson Iron 883 2014