Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a Sportster and need som input...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 03:00 AM
russellabjr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a Sportster and need som input...

Hey everyone... new rider to be and new to HDF... Anyways, Ive been wanting a motorcycle for a really long time now and finally got the nerve to sign up for a safety course, narrow it down to a manufacturer, model, and visit the dealer.. I just have a few questions if u all can help me out here..

- For a first time rider, what Sportster would you recommend? 833 or 1200? (a buddy of mine who has been riding for 6 years says to get the 1200 b/c after 6 months with the 833 i'd just want more). oh and no passengers until i get comfortable on the bike by myself..

- what kind of questions should i be asking when making this purchase (or what should I know)?

- what type of things could i reasonably ask for from the dealer to be included in the purchase? as in i want this, this, and this but not pay for it type things..

- anything else i should know being that this is my first motorcycle and is extremely new to me?

thanks for the input..

russ

Old 05-26-2007, 03:09 AM
tatkin
Banned
Default RE: Buying a Sportster and need som input...

Since about 1954 there has been an 883 sportster. It can't be wrong.

ORIGINAL: russellabjr

Hey everyone... new rider to be and new to HDF... Anyways, Ive been wanting a motorcycle for a really long time now and finally got the nerve to sign up for a safety course, narrow it down to a manufacturer, model, and visit the dealer.. I just have a few questions if u all can help me out here..

- For a first time rider, what Sportster would you recommend? 833 or 1200? (a buddy of mine who has been riding for 6 years says to get the 1200 b/c after 6 months with the 833 i'd just want more). oh and no passengers until i get comfortable on the bike by myself..

- what kind of questions should i be asking when making this purchase (or what should I know)?

- what type of things could i reasonably ask for from the dealer to be included in the purchase? as in i want this, this, and this but not pay for it type things..

- anything else i should know being that this is my first motorcycle and is extremely new to me?

thanks for the input..

russ

Old 05-26-2007, 03:15 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Bad time of year to be making a really good deal, if you can get one for MSRP including freight, doc and tax your doing OK, maybe a helmet throwin in. At the last minute get them to throw in the first oil change/service if you can.
Get the 1200 if you can afford it, you will be wanting to upgrade an 883 soon so you might as well just get the 1200 in the first place.
Think hard about what kind of riding you will be doing, if you want to sit back and cruise think about a custom, if you want to hotrod think about a roadster.
Just MHO

Old 05-26-2007, 03:19 AM
niskyne
Intermediate

If you are willing to buy used, craigslist.com is a great site. I bought my first bike, sold it, then bought my current bike all on that site, and it's free.

Old 05-26-2007, 03:22 AM
ZenDog
Advanced

Buy a used 2006 1200 with low miles and you will save thousands. And they usually already have add on stuff that you will want and have to pay extra for. Arrange for alternative financing ,not through the stealer, and check out e Bay.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
TonyVT
Tourer

Wow, that sounds just like me......Yesterday I picked up a used 2006 1200 Custom with 2300 miles. My bike looks brand new and has already had Screaming Eagle pipes and a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner installed and it has been jetted. This bike still has one year left on the manufacturers warranty. I paid $8300 and feel that I got a great deal.

ORIGINAL: ZenDog

Buy a used 2006 1200 with low miles and you will save thousands. And they usually already have add on stuff that you will want and have to pay extra for. Arrange for alternative financing ,not through the stealer, and check out e Bay.

Old 05-26-2007, 10:44 AM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get what you can afford. I went in looking for an 883 but got a good deal on a 1200R. There is nothing wrong with an 883.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:19 AM
chrskrngl
Cruiser

don't get it from the dealer secure financing privately and look for a private seller you can get a great deal this way if you have a little patience. found my 04 1200 with about 1,000 dollars of accessories, and 2000 miles for 6800.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:19 AM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

LOVE my 883 Custom...

That being said, above all, sign up for and take the MSF classes. Those are a must for any new rider.

Keith[8D]

Old 05-26-2007, 11:50 AM
bmkshort
Cruiser

For a new rider , I would have to recommend either the 883 low or 1200 low. the lower center of gravity will be better for you.

Quick Reply: Buying a Sportster and need som input...