Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary chain adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 01:05 AM
aceospades
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default primary chain adjustment

ok im probably over due for this but i have 9,300 miles on my bike now and it has never been done...first question is---is it ready? is there any symptoms of needing to be done? and how tight should it be? thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 01:43 AM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: primary chain adjustment

You are way overdue if its never been done
its supposed to be done at 1k and 5k and 10k... check your owners man. in the back and its got all that info there. poor shifting and noise and maybe a jerk or 2 in1st gear are pretty goodsigns .
But yeah your pastdue.

ORIGINAL: aceospades

ok im probably over due for this but i have 9,300 miles on my bike now and it has never been done...first question is---is it ready? is there any symptoms of needing to be done? and how tight should it be? thanks

Old 05-26-2007, 01:43 AM
Zeb
Road Master

I do it cold and the chain should have about 3/8 to 1/2 inches of play.

Some in here do it with the engine running, and they could help you out on that.

I've made it a point to try andcheck it around the same time I change the tranny oil, about once or twice a year.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:43 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's all in your owners manual as stated here... and not much to getting it done...

I'm sure you can handle it...

But yeah... you're past due...

If you haven't changed your sparkplugs they are about due...(10k)...

The only reason I mention it is because, when your finding the tight points on your primary chain it's easy to turn the back wheel with the plugs out... and if they're out you might as well change them...[8D]

Don't forget to put never-sieze on the plug threads...

Charlie D.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:34 AM
Dr.Cool
Banned

Ace,
My Fix-my-Hog-DVD" shows this in detail.
If that intrests u at all.
Jimmy

Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know what symptoms that would be, I heard harsh shifting may cause by a loose primary chain. I adjust my chain according to the service intervals, You can adjust the chain either cold or hot. I prefer hot, it seems to be more accurate. I have many friends adjust the chain cold, when it gets hot, it becomes too tight and whining. Either way is fine as long as you follow the manufacture specs. P.S. Please also get the primary inspection cover gasket, just in case, it may leak after the job.

Old 05-26-2007, 05:19 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ok its done!! i opened up the inspection cover and it was way loose i cranked it down till the chain was tighter than a bull frogs @$$..now it shifts much smoother,but its making a grinding noise?

ok just jerkin your primary chains...i took alot of slack out of it..when for a long ride shifts really smooth and is much quieter now..for some reason i thought the primary had a self tensioner on it..doh!! it was definitley over due..thanks for the help guys..

Old 05-26-2007, 05:22 PM
x2lee
Banned

It needs about 5/8 play in the chain, adjust it when its hot. Sounds like its too tight...

Grrr [>:]got me

ok its done!! i opened up the inspection cover and it was way loose i cranked it down till the chain was tighter than a bull frogs @$$..now it shifts much smoother,but its making a grinding noise?

ok just jerkin your primary chains...i took alot of slack out of it..when for a long ride shifts really smooth and is much quieter now..for some reason i thought the primary had a self tensioner on it..doh!! it was definitley over due..thanks for the help guys..

Old 05-26-2007, 05:25 PM
aceospades
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: x2lee

It needs about 5/8 play in the chain, adjust it when its hot. Sounds like its too tight...

you must not have read the second part of the post..the first part i was joking..the second part is where i said its all good..i know better than cranking it down..

Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 PM
x2lee
Banned

yeah I read it on the reply I was already in the middle of.
good one

ORIGINAL: x2lee

you must not have read the second part of the post..the first part i was joking..the second part is where i said its all good..i know better than cranking it down..