Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me ,problem coming home tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 01:12 AM
rwjjr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me ,problem coming home tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!1

OK coming home form bike nite,looked down my speedo is not working,the yellow engine light is on,miles arent cliking off,bike ran fine as always.I got it home and parked it,Help me with a place to start to fix tomorrow.Its as if a speedo wire or something came loose!!!!!!!!11

Old 05-25-2007, 01:16 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Help me ,problem coming home tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The check engine light has something to do with the speedo sensor output I guess, to be honest, I don't know what to tell you beside checking all the connections. Do you have a manual? Try to flash codes and see what code you got, it may help to diagnose the problem.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:33 AM
UNCCHarley
Road Master

I would be on the phone with the dealership first thing in the morning. I looked in the owners manual and it does not say anything about it.

I looked in my Clymers manual and when discussing loss of speedometer it never says anything about the check engine light. I do not know anything about this, only thing that seemed strange was the check engine light in association with the loss of the speedometer.

Sorry I could not help more.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 AM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 298 Posts

Read here a while ago to check the coil wires, don't know why it would cause that but sounds like the same symptoms as the other forum member had.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no idea. It sounds logical, and I could see how if the speedo were to loose its signal or connection that the engine light would come on, but I have no idea how to fix. SOrry, good luck.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 AM
WVHogRider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had issues with the motor cutting out, acting like it wasfuel starved,and also noticed my speedo needle jumping up & down and mileage readout turning off/on, but not always at the same time as the enginge cutting in/out. However, my check engine light never came on. And to tell you the truth, I never even new mine had a check engine light until reading about it on here and actually looking atthe speedothe other day afterI fixed theissue.

I had two issues, (that I know of), thatwere contributing to my issues. The first was my battery cables hadstarted to come loose. The second issue was that when I had my1200 conversion done the mechanic used Accel spark plugs that have the screw on tips where the plug wires attach, and the tips had begun tobackoff. Now when the bike acted up the first couple times, I had actually tried checking the battery wires with my fingers and they seemed fine. I also wiggled the key (to simulate wind movement)while the bike was running thinking that there could be something bad in the connection there. There may have been morewire issues that I did not notice but I basicallywiggled/took apart/cleaned/re-assembled everyelectrical connection I could find on the bike.Now it's back to running like a champ.

I'd say start by looking at all your connections. Good luck. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:15 PM
deltasierra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here had my speedometer go out twice on my '06 but never had check light come on. Both times dealer had to replace speedo-sensor. Ironically both times was after washing the bike, not sure if this part got wet or if that actually had anything to do with it ??? Just my experience with similar problem.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 PM
robbinson
Advanced

Amazing - I had the exact same thing last night on my ride home - from the dealer no less! I just had the 1,000 mile service (and they played around in my bike trying to fix an alarm problem - they they still need a part for). Got about 1 mile and the speedometer went to zero and the check engine yellow icon came on. I drove it back. It took them an hour - they never did find a specific lose connection - but by juggling around the wires, it started working again. I think the connection is right at the sensor of the speedometer. They did tell me its just to speedo, not to worry - not a "bigger problem". I have my fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. If it does, I'll bring it back in.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:40 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior

I had my speedometer go out as well. It's only happened once and no check enginie light. The dealer couldn't find a reason for it.

Old 05-26-2007, 01:55 AM
rwjjr
Tourer

Fixed it.Called dealer today,said to remove speedo sensor,clean the buildup off and it should work fine.Compared the buildup to that similar to the bottom of a car transmision pan ,and since the sensor was somewhat magentized it would build up.Very helpful dealer as always,most would have probably at least tryed to get me to comw buy a new sensor!!

THANKS KNOXVILLE HARLEY-DAVIDSON

Quick Reply: Help me ,problem coming home tonite!!!!!!!!!!!!1