Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" pullback risers on a Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 01:54 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" pullback risers on a Roadster?

Would like to know if they would hit my gas tank with wheel turned all the way. Trying to save the aggrevation of ordering them, then having to return them. I do realize that I would have to buy the adapter for the speedometer/tach for angle repositioning.Anybody tried this on a 1200R or has seen this done? I think the 4.5" would definetely clear but I don't have enough clutch cable/ brake line length to do it.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2.5" pullback risers on a Roadster?

I'd be interested in this as well. For a quick fix I loosened the bars on mine and rotated them back. It got me a lot closer, but I still have to reach, 2.5 risers would be perfect if they clear.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have seen people having problem with 2.5 inch pullback riser, it may hit the 3.3 gallon tank. 2.5 inch straight will be fine for sure. Do a search in the forum.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:56 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser

I bought some 1/2" washers and stacked them with longer bolts just to see how much higher I could get away with without having to upgrade cables and brake line. My stock risers are
1-1/2" tall and I was able to increase an inch but that would be max. I can't find 2-1/5" straight risers anywhere. Everything I am finding jumps from 2" to 3" and going to 3", I'm afraid will put too much bend in my brake line. I have the dual front discs and I'm looking at around $175 just to do the brake line. I can't see putting that kind of money just for that amount of difference. Maybe down the road if I decide to change the bars out. The only option I see other than trying the 2-1/2" pullbacks are to buy the 1" riser extensions but they cost more than new risers and I would rather have that one piece look. I'm tempted to go ahead anyway and buy some pullbacks and return them if they don't work. My luck though is I would scratch them and not be able to send them back. Hopefully someone that knows for sure can tell me if they will work or not first. BTW, i've been riding for a couple of weeks now with the stacked washers but it looks crappy.[:'(]

Old 05-23-2007, 03:03 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser

BTW, I did do a search but didn't find anything exactly like my situation. I can't really compare with anything other than a Roadster. Too many variables when comparing different model bikes with different tanks, bars,model years,etc.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:36 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser

C,mon Roadster people. Am I going to have to be the guinea pig here? I think I already know the answer to that one.[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 05-23-2007, 08:58 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I don't understand is why you want to turn your Roadster into a Custom. There's another thread around here where the guy wants to lower his R. I don't get it. The Roadster is the "sportiest" of the Sportsters(yes i know that's relative when talking Harleys). If that was'nt what you wanted why buy one? If you wanted a Custom or Low or a Dyna why not just buy one in the first place? I'm not saying never change your bike. I'm in the process of making mine even "sportier". That's why I bought the R.
Anyway,look at what bars come on the other models. Except for the Custom I think they all have the 3.5 Gal. tank. That should at least give you an idea of what will work. Good luck.

Old 05-23-2007, 10:45 PM
bmkshort
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: akenaten

What I don't understand is why you want to turn your Roadster into a Custom. There's another thread around here where the guy wants to lower his R. I don't get it. The Roadster is the "sportiest" of the Sportsters(yes i know that's relative when talking Harleys). If that was'nt what you wanted why buy one? If you wanted a Custom or Low or a Dyna why not just buy one in the first place? I'm not saying never change your bike. I'm in the process of making mine even "sportier". That's why I bought the R.
Anyway,look at what bars come on the other models. Except for the Custom I think they all have the 3.5 Gal. tank. That should at least give you an idea of what will work. Good luck.
For what its worth, I never mentioned I wanted a Custom nor am I trying to turn mine into a custom. I'm just trying to relieve a little bit of the stretch. People do come in different shapes and sizes. I'd have to bet your around 6' tall withproportioned arm lengthto match. I'm not. The reason I went with the Roadster was ..........

1. I like the old look of the peanut tank
2. I like the black powder coat engine
3. I like the mid controls along with my highway pegs
4. I like the tank graphics
5. I like the factory speedo/tach set up
6. Iprefer alloy rims.

The idea of what makes a bike "sportier" is in the eye of the beholder. I'm only talking about a 1-1/2" modification. Its not like i'm asking how to convert my Roadster into a Custom. Thanks anyway.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:25 AM
red1beard
Intermediate

My Fiance has the 2.5 risers on order. Will post when the get here. I hope they work. You could try the HD Reach seat. That helped some.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:31 AM
UNCCHarley
Road Master

And I am the one who commented on possibly lower my roadster. What makes me laugh is how some people seem to get personally offended if someone wants to alter their bike. If people want to buy a roadster and make it into a custom, that is their right and not your place to tell then what they should or should not have bought. I am sorry, but just makes me laugh reading how some of these people on the forum like to tell people what they can and cannot do or what they should have done. I guess to some people you should buy a bike and never change a thing on it. Sorry for the rant, just sick of the busybodies who think it is their right to tell everyone else what they can do to their own bike.

As for the original question, I am looking at drag bars with either a 4 inch or 6 inch riser. I think they would do alot better. I just need to decide on which height to go with, that is if I am allowed to change my risers. If possible get a set of the risers and eyeball them on the bike itself would be my suggestiion.

Quick Reply: 2.5" pullback risers on a Roadster?