Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bitter Sweet Day...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 05:51 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Bitter Sweet Day...

Yesterday was a bittersweet day. I traded in my beloved Silvia for a new Street Bob. I loved that bike... It was my first HD and she treated me well. Here where I live I got a lot of compliments on her because she really stood out in this world of the usual cliche baggers. I love the new bike too, but you know, she was my first...

Anyway, I'm still going to hang in this forum in addition to the Dyna forum.

Now to go put some miles on Bob.

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 08-14-2016 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Ad removed. Put your ad in Classifieds where it belongs.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:31 PM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Grats, nice ride

Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

cingraTS on the new scoot

Old 08-14-2016, 09:40 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Did the same thing two weeks ago, but you'll forget about her pretty quick! The Street Bob is better in every single way. Congrats!

Old 08-14-2016, 10:54 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
Did the same thing two weeks ago, but you'll forget about her pretty quick! The Street Bob is better in every single way. Congrats!
no... no it is not. it is very much not better. it's different. does not handle as well, not as fast off the line (without major modifications), reduced turning radius, more expensive to maintain (belt replacement- faaahk!), weighs more... etc...

dynas shine on the highways.... around town, they are a clumsy nightmare.

you may just be experiencing "it's new to me" syndrome...

The following 3 users liked this post by cvaria:
Graptor (08-15-2016), hstrawn (08-15-2016), LoneWoolf (08-15-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 11:35 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
no... no it is not. it is very much not better. it's different. does not handle as well, not as fast off the line (without major modifications), reduced turning radius, more expensive to maintain (belt replacement- faaahk!), weighs more... etc...

dynas shine on the highways.... around town, they are a clumsy nightmare.

you may just be experiencing "it's new to me" syndrome...
I recognize both of us have our own opinions, but in mine, it is. I disagree with all your points and I much prefer the Bob for in town driving as well, the Iron always felt top-heavy at lower speeds.

Not saying I didn't like the Iron as well, just that I like the Dyna about 100% more.

The following users liked this post:
Guzzi (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 07:18 AM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks all for the kind words. Cvaria is right in that its different. The Iron was more convenient in a lot of ways... backing down the driveway, weasling into tight spaces, and ripping tight turns in town. Believe it or not, after stage 1 that little 883 could out zip all my buddies around town on their big twins until around 40, then it was game over. LOL But half the time they didn't know any better because usually there was a turn coming up.

However, I always felt too big on the Iron. I know there's a lot of big guys (bigger than me) that ride them. But I do a lot of all day group rides with a lot of highway riding and I would be cramped and tore up at the end of the day. This is where for the Dyna shines. Highway speeds is day night better AND the stupid power it has for passing at those speeds. That's were my Iron just didn't have it.

I'd never stand here and say one is better than the other, just different. The key is for how I know how I actually use the scoot most of the time, the Dyna fits my needs better.

Old 08-15-2016, 07:26 AM
cvaria
Supporter

Originally Posted by Torpedo1
I recognize both of us have our own opinions, but in mine, it is. I disagree with all your points and I much prefer the Bob for in town driving as well, the Iron always felt top-heavy at lower speeds.

Not saying I didn't like the Iron as well, just that I like the Dyna about 100% more.
Those aren't opinion points... they are immutable facts. Disagree all you want.

Will not stop you from spending more on service/taking longer on DIY, being slower down low, having reduced agility, making wider turns, etc.

Dynas are great. I hated mine at first because the sportster is so dang good. It took time to accept (and love) that the dyna is just different.

Dynas are hd sweetspot overall. Stripped down with the biggest stock engines and best BT agility... monsters on the highway and passable around town ( town being city/dense population ). The torque is no joke and the ride to 70mph feels a lot different on a dyna vs a sporty. Stock, dynas are comfortable/stable than sportsters at high speeds. The big twins have some problems due to design that just aren't even possible on sportys (wobbles, chain issues, primary issues, insane complexity of some services)

Sportys are raw fun machines that rip and tear... not the first name in sportbikes, but good classic bikes that are super reliable. Super easy to work on... that all-in-one engine is a marvel. If one were to up an iron to a 1200 or 1250, it will be crystal clear that the sporty is not a joke. they just really are out of their element on highways.. not saying you can't run them on highways... they are better suited for rips around urban areas but, people tour on then all the time... i did before getting a BT.

They a just different, not better or worse.

I'm fair, i think anyway

Last edited by cvaria; 08-15-2016 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 213 Posts

I have both. Spoiled rotten. Alternate between the two. Ride mostly around town and don't find my FatBob unwieldy or clumsy around town.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 11:51 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
I have both. Spoiled rotten. Alternate between the two. Ride mostly around town and don't find my FatBob unwieldy or clumsy around town.
that's fair

Quick Reply: Bitter Sweet Day...