Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Bit Size for Rear Shock Fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016 | 09:31 PM
hscic
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Torque Bit Size for Rear Shock Fasteners

My apology for this lame question, but I need to buy the correct torque bit size for the rear shock bolts. I have a lot of tools and my bits are either slightly too small or too large for the shock bolts....and I changed the shocks before so must have used the wrong size when I was a rookie wrencher..lol. Don't want to strip the bolt so need to get the correct size. T50 is too small & T55 is too big - I don't have anything between these two sizes...does anyone have the correct bit size so I can pick one up....is there a torque bit between these sizes perhaps T52?

Oh and please don't tell me check the service manual cause I did, and there are no fastener sizes in there. Thank you....just received my SG air/oil shocks and prepping for removal of the old and installation of the new.

Last edited by hscic; 08-08-2016 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-08-2016 | 10:12 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

A T50 fits mine just fine. My torx set is Husky. A T55 is way too big. Hopefully your bolts haven't been previously messed up by using too small a bit., or someone trying to cram an allen wrench in there. If you have a cheap Chinese made set, you might try getting another T50. If it's the bolt that's messed up a little, a couple things you can try are putting some grinding compound on the bit, or, if you have some real thin shim (like copper sheet) or metallic gasket material, put some over the hole and pound the bit in.

There actually are T52 bits, but I've only seen that number in catalogs, never in a store. If a T50 is loose, might be able to pound a T52 in.... if you can find one.

Old 08-08-2016 | 10:58 PM
hscic
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Imold
A T50 fits mine just fine. My torx set is Husky. A T55 is way too big. Hopefully your bolts haven't been previously messed up by using too small a bit., or someone trying to cram an allen wrench in there. If you have a cheap Chinese made set, you might try getting another T50. If it's the bolt that's messed up a little, a couple things you can try are putting some grinding compound on the bit, or, if you have some real thin shim (like copper sheet) or metallic gasket material, put some over the hole and pound the bit in.

There actually are T52 bits, but I've only seen that number in catalogs, never in a store. If a T50 is loose, might be able to pound a T52 in.... if you can find one.
Thanks for the response. Is your T50 snug? I just bought another set since I could not find anything between the two sizes but the T50 in the set still has some wiggle (i.e. not snug). Perhaps the torque bolts are messed up if yours are snug.

Last edited by hscic; 08-08-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2016 | 11:14 PM
autobite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hscic
Thanks for the response. Is your T50 snug? I just bought another set since I could not find anything between the two sizes but the T50 in the set still has some wiggle (i.e. not snug). Perhaps the torque bolts are messed up if yours are snug.
I just did mine and I used a T50. It has a little play.

The following users liked this post:
hscic (08-08-2016)
Old 08-09-2016 | 02:44 AM
hscic
|
Grand HDF Member

Thank you autobite and imold. I used the T50 torque bit even if it was not snug, but was careful not to have it slip. Also was able to properly torque to 50 ft lbs.

Last edited by hscic; 08-09-2016 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2016 | 01:36 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Mine is what I'd call a slip fit with a little play, but tight enough for confidence. Good to hear yours worked ok. If you ever think a T25 feels a little loose, be sure to try a T27; that T25 has caused grief for a lot of Harley wrenching, because it almost fits a T27 bolt..

hscic (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016 | 03:01 PM
hscic
|
Grand HDF Member

Mine is what I'd call a slip fit with a little play, but tight enough for confidence. Good to hear yours worked ok. If you ever think a T25 feels a little loose, be sure to try a T27; that T25 has caused grief for a lot of Harley wrenching, because it almost fits a T27 bolt..
Yup, I stripped many torque and allen head screws on my HD...which is why I am so **** about proper bit size. In fact, I have a couple of stripped heads on screws that hold the pulley to my wheel....on my stock cast wheel....arg.

Old 08-09-2016 | 05:02 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Yup, I stripped many torque and allen head screws on my HD...which is why I am so **** about proper bit size. In fact, I have a couple of stripped heads on screws that hold the pulley to my wheel....on my stock cast wheel....arg.
When you need to take it off, drill the head off - you can save a fraction of an inch on the remaining stud by knocking the weakened head off with a punch - and with the pulley off, might be able to grip the stud end with vise grips. Should be locktite on those bolts, heat them up first if you have a heat gun, soften the locktite. If there isn't enough stud to grip, a good welder with tig or mig can tack a rod on the end of the stud (which really loosens the loctite and breaks rust free) to grip and turn. I've seen a lot of bolts removed using both methods.

hscic (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016 | 06:14 PM
hscic
|
Grand HDF Member

When you need to take it off, drill the head off - you can save a fraction of an inch on the remaining stud by knocking the weakened head off with a punch - and with the pulley off, might be able to grip the stud end with vise grips. Should be locktite on those bolts, heat them up first if you have a heat gun, soften the locktite. If there isn't enough stud to grip, a good welder with tig or mig can tack a rod on the end of the stud (which really loosens the loctite and breaks rust free) to grip and turn. I've seen a lot of bolts removed using both methods.
Bought this tool to remove the pulley bolts...impact driver. Didn't try it yet so not sure if it works
https://www.denniskirk.com/performan...8.prd/2808.sku

Old 08-09-2016 | 09:23 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Bought this tool to remove the pulley bolts...impact driver. Didn't try it yet so not sure if it works
https://www.denniskirk.com/performan...8.prd/2808.sku
Those work pretty well. It gives the bit just a little more bite if you put a dab of grinding compound on it.

hscic (08-09-2016)

Quick Reply: Torque Bit Size for Rear Shock Fasteners