Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with 2013 Forty Eight Sportster...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 AM
Justins90
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 2013 Forty Eight Sportster...

Ever since I bought this bike it's been dying randomly on me. Actually when I went to go take the motorcycle test I failed the first time (rookie) and shut it off, and when I came back out to retake it the bike wouldn't start.

I had the battery tested and it tested good.

Just went outside and it's dead again. It's sat in the garage for 3 days since I last rode it, and I rode it 4 days in a row.

I charged the battery before I rode it and it fired right up and "sounded" like it should when it was cranking, almost immediate start. Next day, sounded like it had a little hiccup. Next day... cranked one time and had a brief pause like it was having trouble starting, and then started cranking again and started up. Next day, even longer pause... so I knew it was only a matter of time before it wouldn't start again. This is starting to make me feel like Harley's are unreliable.

Is this a common issue? I'm actually trying to sell this harley right now and don't want to screw anybody (not that I've had any interest anyways... sportsters seem hard as fk to sell). I'm leaving for the military hopefully soon, but for the airforce my debt to income is going to be too high so I HAVE to sell this bike. I can't do that if it's dying all the time. I wish I could just take it back but I've owned it for around 5 months now and put 350 miles on it (has 750 miles total now on a 2013).

Anyways... what do I need to do to fix this? What could be draining the battery? It's a completely stock 2013 Sportster Forty Eight XL1200X with 750 miles. About to drive me nuts.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:19 AM
JayTee2015
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I am not sure, but if you have a security system on the bike or some other electronics add-on, they will drain the bike battery in a day or less. Even after a few hours (4 to 8) of not being on a battery maintainer, my Sportster will "hard start" because I have the security system on it.
I bought my 2009 Sportster in May and the original owner mentioned he had to always have the battery on the battery tender when parked in his garage, else the battery would drain down from just the security system.

A battery can be tested and still have a cell that is failing. Sometimes they come and go at random.

Sometimes, even on a fairly new bike, a battery can start to get weak early. Even if just one or two cells in a battery are not up to par, battery voltage and power (current supply) can be weakened and cause problems such as you are having.

Also, good idea to check all connections to the battery, and from the battery to the bike. ESpecially check the ground or "negative" cable connection from the battery to the bike. Wouldn't hurt to loosen those connection points, clean them, and snug them down securely, but careful not to strip any threads.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by JayTee2015; 08-04-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Johhny51273
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Loose cables can cause several issues. I'd start by checking the connections at the battery and your ground wire.

The following 2 users liked this post by Johhny51273:
cvaria (08-04-2016), Roni (08-04-2016)
Old 08-04-2016, 08:13 AM
Justins90
6th Gear

Okay I can do that on the battery. What ground wire are you talking about though? From the negative terminal to the body?

Old 08-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Søren Rix Petersen
Road Captain
Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Justins90
Okay I can do that on the battery. What ground wire are you talking about though? From the negative terminal to the body?
yes that´s the one

regards
Sören

Old 08-04-2016, 09:44 AM
JayTee2015
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Justins90

Yes. . . the negative connection to the frame/body. I would take it off and clean both ends. Make sure not paint or corrosion or crusty stuff is on the connections points. Maybe smear a very light film of grease on the terminal and connection point after cleaning. Make sure the threads for any electrical screw or bolt are clean also. I use a Scotch bright pad to usually clean these. I use steel wool only away from the bike if I have to on screw threads or use used compressed air to blow away any dust after cleaning.

Hope you find the cause. . .. It still could be a failing cell in the battery also. .. I wouldn't rule that out especially if the bike was stored for more than a month or two with no battery tender on it.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:00 PM
Justins90
6th Gear

Well it is a 2013 with only 750 miles, so maybe it could be bad cells in the battery. How would I go about getting a battery for this bike for the best price? Haven't shopped around yet but I'm assuming batteries for Harleys are expensive.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Forty
2nd Gear

Go the genuine HD battery and buy the trickle charger (tender). My bike was the same, low kms etc but the battery was just bad. new battery and I leave it charged whenever I am not riding it. Haven't had an issue now.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Justins90
6th Gear

On another note, is there a way for me to just remove the security system (if it has one) and how can I found out if it has one anyways lol

Old 08-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Roni
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 805 Likes on 587 Posts

I removed/disabled the security system from Talulah ('07 Custom), after the TSSM module fried. I replaced it with a TSM. That was the only part -- the TSM module-- which I had to buy.

If I recall correctly, the only voodoo involved after installing the part was getting the TSM and the ECU to speak to each other. There are instructions on the internet (and I think in the FSM) on how to do this.

Quick Reply: Problems with 2013 Forty Eight Sportster...