Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Siber
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bright LED Bulb

I bought this LED replacement bulb over a year ago and I'm very happy with it. I haven't had any cars pull out in front of me during the day yet and I did with the stock bulb. Easy to replace. I ride dark rural roads and it lights them up!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following users liked this post:
JayTee2015 (08-02-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Tough call...$70 for a high end LED bulb, or $90 for a full LED headlamp? I like the multiple (6 bulbs) on the headlamp, but quality remains to be seen. Plastic lens is a step down vs. stock glass lens.

I'd love to see a comparison between the two for brightness.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:06 PM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

I went with:

Cyron Lighting H4 Led Retrofit Headlight Bulb ABH4K-A6K

LED Technology
Bright White Beam, 6000K
Active Heat Management System
Hi-Lo Dual Beam
2,500 Lumens

Have 1 in my Sportie for 2 years...no issues. And 1 of the same in my 2006 UC paired with the 881 spots from Cyron as well. ALL are bright.

AND yes in the day they do make a difference. Cages do see you since you don't blend with traffic behind you. I ride a lot of rural roads with side shoots and I can see the folks seeing the lights. Plus they really make the paint lines and car trim and road signs POP when you are approaching. I've had many a complement on my bikes with those lights on.

I want to get the turn signal indicators from Custom Dynamics soon for my bikes. Just need to stash some cash for 4 total LED clusters. I want the ones that shine WHITE then turn to color when you click the turn signals on. At least for the front of the bikes anyway.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 08-02-2016, 03:17 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRO
I want to get the turn signal indicators from Custom Dynamics soon for my bikes. Just need to stash some cash for 4 total LED clusters. I want the ones that shine WHITE then turn to color when you click the turn signals on. At least for the front of the bikes anyway.
I have those, they are a piece of cake to install in front. I believe you can get away without the signal stabilizer module if you do front only. However if you do all 4, you need that. Installing the rears were a pain because you need to route 2 additional wires for the run & brake functions to the turns. But now that it's all done on mine I'm glad I did it.

Shameless vid:

GMRO (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:20 PM
sgthwjack
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GMRO
I want the ones that shine WHITE then turn to color when you click the turn signals on. At least for the front of the bikes anyway.

GOOD LUCK!
I have those on the front and wouldn't be without them now. Amazing how much light they put out. Mounted mine on the forks and they help illuminate the sides very well.

GMRO (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 08:42 PM
JayTee2015
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Siber
I bought this LED replacement bulb over a year ago and I'm very happy with it. I haven't had any cars pull out in front of me during the day yet and I did with the stock bulb. Easy to replace. I ride dark rural roads and it lights them up!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Will that LED bulb and the attached "module" it uses all fit inside a Sportster 5 3/4" headlight housing without drilling or cutting any holes?

Thanks!

Old 08-02-2016, 08:51 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
Has anyone replaced their stock headlight for the HD Daymaker Projecter LED light? If so, i'd like to know how well it works and how hard it is to install. Also, would it be of any value for daytime riding i.e. is it brighter than a stock light during the day.

For $400 I'd like to be sure it worthwhile and not hard to install. Thanks.
do not... DO NOT buy a hd daymaker.

JW speaker 8690M(~$300)/8690A($550) or Custom Dynamics trubeam ($380-$400) if you want to spend the money

h4 led, knock-off (moons, motoillumination, etc..) if you want to save...

the hd is the absolute worst option. seriously. it's 4+ year old tech from jw speaker rebranded as hd and it's way over priced.

Last edited by cvaria; 08-02-2016 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:52 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTee2015
Will that LED bulb and the attached "module" it uses all fit inside a Sportster 5 3/4" headlight housing without drilling or cutting any holes?

Thanks!
yes....
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...79-led-h4.html

Old 08-03-2016, 02:27 AM
BensonUK
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

I went with the imitation daymaker.
So much better without the stupid HD cost.
Have had it on a year and both of our bikes use them

cvaria (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 07:08 AM
GMRO
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
I have those, they are a piece of cake to install in front. I believe you can get away without the signal stabilizer module if you do front only. However if you do all 4, you need that. Installing the rears were a pain because you need to route 2 additional wires for the run & brake functions to the turns. But now that it's all done on mine I'm glad I did it.

Shameless vid:
Custom Dynamics lighting upgrade - YouTube
Nice bike and nice demo video too.

I didn't know the rears could be wired into the brake light. I belive how mine are now are off until the turn signals are clicked and they blink - where as the fronts are on all the time and flash when signals are activated.

I installed the rear signal light bar for my bags so I may attempt to add that module. THOUGH just the LEDs would be nice back there as my tail light is LED on my 13' as well.

THANKS for the great info!

Quick Reply: Headlight Replacement