Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50% Chance of Rain: Ride or Not-Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:34 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts
Default 50% Chance of Rain: Ride or Not-Ride?

I love riding my scoot to work everyday. It's invigorating to ride early in the morning when the sun is coming up and the air is fresh and cool.

But I'm not a hardcore, ride-or-die kind of guy.

Each morning I look at the local weather on my phone. If the chance of rain is 50% or greater, I leave the bike in the shed and take my car.

Sometimes when it's beer-thirty and there are boomers and rain moving through, I'm glad I left my scoot at home in the barn. It's one thing to get caught in the rain while riding, but to have to go outside after work and get on my bike in the pouring rain to head home????? No thanks.

Other days as I'm leaving work, the air is clear and there's no rain even though the chance was supposedly 50% or more. It's days like that I wish I had ignored the weather forecast.

Just curious. What weather forecast gets you guys/gals to leave your bike at home?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:24 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

If it does not rain in the morning i get the bike, unless its 100% chance of thunderstorm. Here they sau 50% chance of rain everyday, even when sunny. Guess you cant be wrong if you pick both head and tails.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:29 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

Getting caught in the ride once I am out is one thing. Intentionally riding in it, a.k.a. It is raining when I leave is something different.

Before I had a home office I rode to work every chance I got. Even if there was a chance of riding home in the rain or getting caught on the way in. But back then I didn't have rain gear so if it was already raining, cage.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:32 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

If the tires grip the road, no problem. If the tires won't problem. I don't ride in the ice, but living in Belgium if I didn't ride in the rain I would rarely ride. Just put on the rain gear and go.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM
Maximus924
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

I am in the sad group that won't pull my bike out if its 25% or more chance of rain. That being said, living in California I have alot of other days as options. plus I do not commute (work in town) and have a company rig so I am not on my own set of wheels often anymore. Mainly for a good Saturday session of relaxation in-between trips to the park with the family.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:42 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Red face

rain is risk. other vehicles on the road tend to not understand that you only have two wheels and may be traveling slower... they get upset and want to kill you so they can get to the next red light.

like said above. if it rains later on on my way home.. i can live with that; however, if it is raining in the am... i'm not doing it. people are extra stupid on the road in the morning.

my sportster is pretty loud. in the mornings, i've had people cut over in front of me even with all that noise.... so they did it on purpose like, "f*** you". add rain to an encounter like that where you need max stopping distance and you have a bad situation in the making.

ride safe. your kids need you. must keep your daughter off the pole!

The following users liked this post:
Graptor (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

My Iron is a fair weather bike. The reason for that is because I have a SuperCommuterScooter which is a Honda Sh300 which has a Givi Airflow screen fitted. No point in riding the Iron and getting soaked when I can be a lot drier on the SuperCommuterScooter!

The car isn't really an option for me as although I get a parking space at work, I'd have to pay the congestion charge to drive in London which is over £10 a day and I'd probably use the same again in petrol, where as SuperCommuterScooter costs just under £4 a day in fuel and isn't subject to the highway robbery, sorry, congestion charge. No brainer.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:41 AM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

The car....rain hinders vision and sound - remember motorcycle safety training...see and be seen (and heard).

Old 08-02-2016, 10:52 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

if i do take the bike out and it rains... i give it a half hour or so before i get on it. the rain pulls up oil and debris in the road so give it time to wash off. if its a definite chance of rain and its cloudy i usually take the cage instead though

Old 08-02-2016, 01:07 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Here in SC literally every day in summer comes with at least a slight risk of rain. If it's already raining in the a.m. when it's time to leave for work, I definitely take the cage.

It's trying to figure out what it will be doing at quitting time that sucks.

The following users liked this post:
r1cochet (08-08-2016)

Quick Reply: 50% Chance of Rain: Ride or Not-Ride?