Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50% Chance of Rain: Ride or Not-Ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:52 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
It's the weather-caster who assigns percentages.
50% of the regional area is likely to have rain at any given time.
The percent of the area is only part of the equation.
PoP-percentage of precipitation = CxA
C= the confidence that precipitation will occur somewhere in the forecast area.
A= the percent of the area that will receive measurable precipitation, if it occurs at all.
I still trust the radar for short range predictions I can make myself over a weather forcast.

Last edited by motohaid; 08-17-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:44 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Im guilty of it tonight.. But the ride wasnt far. Just down the street to meet some buddies. It was a 40% chance and was wet but i fully geared up, helmut, gloves, heavy duty jeans and boots and rode in the rain. Took my time and tested my breaking on a back street to see what the bike does. She holds up and skids when the rear is slammed on (obvious) but its not a bad ride

Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by motohaid
The percent of the area is only part of the equation.
PoP-percentage of precipitation = CxA
C= the confidence that precipitation will occur somewhere in the forecast area.
A= the percent of the area that will receive measurable precipitation, if it occurs at all.
I still trust the radar for short range predictions I can make myself over a weather forcast.
This is why it makes no sense to me, it sounds like Algebra or some such magic.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:36 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AK883xl
Im guilty of it tonight.. But the ride wasnt far. Just down the street to meet some buddies. It was a 40% chance and was wet but i fully geared up, helmut, gloves, heavy duty jeans and boots and rode in the rain. Took my time and tested my breaking on a back street to see what the bike does. She holds up and skids when the rear is slammed on (obvious) but its not a bad ride
That's a lot of wet gear isn't it? Wouldn't it be easier and more efficient to ride commando and just towel off at your destination?

Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

hehehe i wouldnt want anything precious hanging and getting snagged in the belt drive

Old 08-18-2016, 03:57 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by AK883xl
hehehe i wouldnt want anything precious hanging and getting snagged in the belt drive
Ouch!

Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 PM
PSYOPSGM
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I generally ride if it's 50% though after last night I might revise that. I got caught in the worst storm I've ever ridden through. Winds were the worst part, whipping the bike from side to side I seriously had to struggle to keep the rubber side down.

Old 08-18-2016, 04:58 PM
motohaid
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by PSYOPSGM
I generally ride if it's 50% though after last night I might revise that. I got caught in the worst storm I've ever ridden through. Winds were the worst part, whipping the bike from side to side I seriously had to struggle to keep the rubber side down.
If that was bad you should have been with a bud of mine and myself back in April. We were leaving Asheville, NC headed back to Gatlinburg, TN thru the pass along I-40 at about 5:30 pm. As soon as we entered 40 in Asheville we hit the storm you are talking about and in the evening rush. I hate that stretch of I-40 anyway but here we were in the worse storm I have ever ridden or driven a cage in and in rush hour. It was already kind of dark because of the rain, dusk approaching and I only had sunglasses for eye protection. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I was on my Fatboy I had just bought and only had about four hours in the saddle so I was still learning the bike which was a lot different from my Sportster. I was puckered so tight you couldn't have driven a 16d nail up there with a sledge hammer. That was undoubtedly the dumbest thing I have done on a bike. At least in the past few months. So yes I hate riding in the frigging rain and I don't care if that was 0, 50 or 100%. It was wet, miserable and one of the most stressful rides of my life.

Last edited by motohaid; 08-18-2016 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PSYOPSGM
Since you're posting about it, I assume you made it back to port safely.

Old 08-19-2016, 08:35 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by motohaid
If that was bad you should have been with a bud of mine and myself back in April. We were leaving Asheville, NC headed back to Gatlinburg, TN thru the pass along I-40 at about 5:30 pm. As soon as we entered 40 in Asheville we hit the storm you are talking about and in the evening rush. I hate that stretch of I-40 anyway but here we were in the worse storm I have ever ridden or driven a cage in and in rush hour. It was already kind of dark because of the rain, dusk approaching and I only had sunglasses for eye protection. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I was on my Fatboy I had just bought and only had about four hours in the saddle so I was still learning the bike which was a lot different from my Sportster. I was puckered so tight you couldn't have driven a 16d nail up there with a sledge hammer. That was undoubtedly the dumbest thing I have done on a bike. At least in the past few months. So yes I hate riding in the frigging rain and I don't care if that was 0, 50 or 100%. It was wet, miserable and one of the most stressful rides of my life.
Ackkk! My brain will never recover!!

Quick Reply: 50% Chance of Rain: Ride or Not-Ride?