Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Putting in my Rocker Lockers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:26 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by hexnut
I'm putting a Hammer 1250 kit in my bike so while I have it down I will install the rocker lockers. They were only $15.00, so why not.
Same here...

Wonder if putting them in the freezer overnight might aid in installation?
(just a thought)

T.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:58 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,221 Likes on 2,456 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I'm a huge fan of DK Customs and Kevin is the best. I just don't get the point of the Rocker Locker. I have many miles on Sportsters and can't see what the overall benefits are. If it made a few extra ponies or extended the reliability I could see. I like the mechanical sound of my bike. I guess I don't get it.
There is only one reason for it...get rid of the ticking noise, does nothing for performance or longevity, possibly might feel a tiny bit smoother.

See next response.

Originally Posted by alienbogey
I never even noticed the top end ticking sound until I read about Rocker Lockers. Now I hear it all the time.

Sigh.
Sportys have a variety of noises, the rocker shaft tick that the Rocker Lockers get rid of is just one of them.

On the other hand, Twin Cams have very little top end noise, and almost all of it is the rocker shafts, so the auditory change can be drastic...and to many folks ears, an improvement.

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Same here...

Wonder if putting them in the freezer overnight might aid in installation?
(just a thought)

T.
These are not difficult to install...they press in very easily.

The only time you will get the mushrooming (like Sid got on one of his) is when the shaft is not aligned (thus the reason for the included teflon alignment tool).

If the shaft is not aligned, them being cold will not help.

Conversely, being in the freezer overnight will not hurt anything.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 07-31-2016, 04:19 PM
Mike Lawless
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
On the other hand, Twin Cams have very little top end noise, and almost all of it is the rocker shafts, so the auditory change can be drastic...and to many folks ears, an improvement.
Some TCs have A LOT of top end noise. Mine is one of 'em, and there are numerous complaints about it. Some have even gotten rid of the bike because of it. When it's hot, it sounds like it's coming apart. But there are no doubt several contributing factors.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
There is only one reason for it...get rid of the ticking noise, does nothing for performance or longevity, possibly might feel a tiny bit smoother.

See next response.

Sportys have a variety of noises, the rocker shaft tick that the Rocker Lockers get rid of is just one of them.

These are not difficult to install...they press in very easily.

The only time you will get the mushrooming (like Sid got on one of his) is when the shaft is not aligned (thus the reason for the included teflon alignment tool).

If the shaft is not aligned, them being cold will not help.

Conversely, being in the freezer overnight will not hurt anything.
I suppose if I had to open up the top end again (I had weeping gaskets) I'd do this mod for the $15. I'm just not sure I'd do it by itself.

That said, I'd like to get to 90 rhp if I could maintain reliability.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mike Lawless
Some TCs have A LOT of top end noise. Mine is one of 'em, and there are numerous complaints about it. Some have even gotten rid of the bike because of it. When it's hot, it sounds like it's coming apart. But there are no doubt several contributing factors.
Mike, you are correct. I should have been more clear, Twin Cams, absent the ticking that the Rocker Lockers get rid of, have very little top end noise...unless something is wrong with them. They are designed (except for the loose tolerance in the support bracket) to be relatively quiet.

Yes, there can be other factors, like running TOO hot, as many do.

Whereas the Sportster Evolution has quite a bit of mechanical noise, even when everything is as it should be, the ticking the Rocker Lockers get rid of is only part of it.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:10 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by baka1969
I suppose if I had to open up the top end again (I had weeping gaskets) I'd do this mod for the $15. I'm just not sure I'd do it by itself.

That said, I'd like to get to 90 rhp if I could maintain reliability.
I must be getting old. I'm in the low 80's and it's more power than I use 99% of the time.

Old 07-31-2016, 11:05 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

According to some posters, myself included, TC rocker noise is exacerbated when you switch from using waxy dino engine oil to a wax-less synthetic. Therefore, often encouraged by Dealer recommendations, the problem is commonly treated with dino oil. Dumb idea?

I'm no mechanic but, being one of the "Bardahl", , generation I'm aware of the dubious benefits of wax.

Why go on a long term program of compromise, because of ticking, when for 15 bux and a few hours tinkering you can actually fix the problem ?

As to freezing the inserts, anyone who reloads ammo will confirm that brass, of this nature, is quite fluid and will "form", (or damage), with surprising ease. Ergo, no need to freeze em really. BTW, these inserts do an impressive impersonation of a 38 Super case with the head removed !?!

Last edited by HKMark23; 08-01-2016 at 05:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:18 AM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

The word paraffin is a very common and basic term for base mineral oil. The MSDS sheets for many motor oils use the word paraffin to describe the main oil ingredient...as in "SOLVENT-DEWAXED HEAVY PARAFFINIC PETROLEUM," which is how Valvoline phrases it in their MSDS sheets.

Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just aint the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. Use it worry free.