Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Sportster 1200 Is This the Starter Relay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 12:46 AM
ilclegal
|
Stage IV
Default 1994 Sportster 1200 Is This the Starter Relay?

1994 Sportster 1200

After sitting a while it started but sputtered at med-hi RPM then abruptly kicked back in.

1. Took out and charged purportedly new battery.

2. reinstalled

3. Just clicked upon starting

4. Hit relay a couple of times with a wrench...Perfecto.

Question 1: Is that the starter relay in the photo?

Question 2: What does hitting it do? Do I need a new relay?

Question 3: How do you remove it?

Thanks.

Jeff

Old 07-13-2016 | 03:30 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

That is the starter relay. Sometimes vibrations cause what's known as a "dry socket" on one of the circuits. The joint where a solenoid is soldered to the board cracks and breaks the circuit. I don't know if those can be re-soldered or not. I've done it on other relays but not on my bike ('93 and identical) so if it can't be pried apart without breaking it, then a new relay is in order. Thankfully they are pretty damn cheap.

Hitting it sometimes causes contact in the circuit where the solder has cracked effectively closing the "dry socket" circuit and allowing it to start. But of course the next time around, same problem.

As far as dismounting it, it looks as if yours has already been dismounted. Unplugging the harness is all that's left to take it off.

I'll try to remember and look at mine (and in my '93-'94 SM) and see what info I can get that might be helpful to you.

On a side note, I've never known a starter relay to cause the engine to cut out while running. Not saying it can't happen but I have never had it happen to me.

Old 08-06-2016 | 08:10 PM
ilclegal
|
Stage IV

Appreciate your response. I put in a new relay and that is good but I think the battery installation is not right. I was idling too fast I went through a tank of gas in 12 miles. Accidentally I noticed a lever near the air cleanerr that was pulled all the way out. I assume it is the choke. Solved that But even after new relay I can turn key sometimes and everything is dead, If I wait a few minutes and or jiggle the battery it starts but after running well for a few minutes it begins to sputter again. Do you think the battery could be pushing on something and causing this? If so what could it be pushing on that causes this? Thanks. Jeff

Old 08-06-2016 | 09:09 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ilclegal
Appreciate your response. I put in a new relay and that is good but I think the battery installation is not right. I was idling too fast I went through a tank of gas in 12 miles. Accidentally I noticed a lever near the air cleanerr that was pulled all the way out. I assume it is the choke. Solved that But even after new relay I can turn key sometimes and everything is dead, If I wait a few minutes and or jiggle the battery it starts but after running well for a few minutes it begins to sputter again. Do you think the battery could be pushing on something and causing this? If so what could it be pushing on that causes this? Thanks. Jeff
12 miles??!!??

Does it start EVERY time you jiggle the battery or just some of the time? Sounds like a short somewhere. It may involve just tracing things out and using a continuity tester.

What about the ignition switch? You say everything is dead. Does that mean the lights dont' come on when you turn the key? New switches are about $20 from Drag Specialties.