Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STarting point for pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:58 PM
MandyMo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Your starting point is to do nothing, just ride, enjoy and observe - take your time! Spend a little time in here and see what other Sporty owners, including those around you, are doing. You will be better able to decide what to do over next winter so you can arise, phoenix-like, next spring (assuming you have a seasonal down-time of course!).
No seasonal down time here, we get about 5 minutes of semi-cold winter. But I do have lots of time to research, and figure out what I like. And in the meantime, I am going to ride. I am enjoying her so much already!!!!

Old 07-10-2016, 04:04 PM
MandyMo
Novice

Originally Posted by Axis39
After having been out of the motorcycle 'building' phase for a number of years and not reading up much on parts and such, I jumped in with both feet earlier this Spring. I (technically, my wife and I) now have two bikes to fiddle with.

My Softail has a Bassani Radial Sweeper system on it. It sounds great. I am not 100% sold on the looks, but, it sounds great! It's almost a touch modern for my tastes. But, I'm not in a rush to change it either... because, did I mention? It sounds great. LOL

The 48 has the stock exhaust.... and like you, I am overwhelmed with the choices. I'm not sure the Internet does me any favors here! LOL

The big question for me is sound v. performance. I used to love drag pipes back in the day. But, I also knew I was giving up some performance. So, the last bike I had was a 2 into 1 system with a small baffle into a fishtail (it was a shoveled dresser) and that worked out really well. But, i am not so sure that look would work as well on the 48....

Which reminds me, style and looks are definitely important as well. I am not real big on the 2-1 sport style exhausts, I know they probably outperform anything I'm gonna end up buying... But, I really am a traditionalist, especially with the 48. I mean, it just has the old school / bobber kinda style, and I wanna stick with it.

So, I'll be curious to see which way you go and to see what everyone suggests. I'm itching to make more noise with the Sporty.... But, I'm gonna be patient and not squeeze into the first cheap exhaust I can find. For once.

I have had lots of input, here and in a FB group I joined. There are so many helpful suggestions, so now I guess I just need to spend some time, reading, and learning to figure out what I like. I have also watched several youtube videos of different sounding pipes. Good to know that the Bassanis sound awesome, because I love the way they look as well. Now, if I can just find them for my bike! LOL. I am not in a big hurry, just taking my time doing my research. I will keep y'all updated

Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 PM
Huggerbugger
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 213 Posts

Been all the way around the block with pipes. Back to stock now and that's what I'm sticking with. Of course, I'm old and mellow.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

I agree it's probably a good idea to ride the bike a while an get used to it an figure out what you like an don't like. Pipes may get in the way of some other mods you want to do like add saddlebags or mid controls. Going to the dealer on the weekend when guys ride in an hang out is a good chance to look at whats out there an what it sounds like before buying. I picked up a Patriot Defender. It's a 2 into 1 an comes in long an short versions. it fit well an is well made an not that expensive. I heard they make them in Taiwan to keep costs down. they have an adjustable baffle so there's almost straight open an partially closed or closed baffle to quiet them down. I don't think they're that bad wide open, a lot better than the short shots I took off. some say you lose a lot of power with straight open 2 into 2's but opinions vary.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:58 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by MandyMo
Good to know that the Bassanis sound awesome, because I love the way they look as well. Now, if I can just find them for my bike! LOL.
I'm pretty sure Bassani makes the sweepers for your Custom, but call them to be sure.

One thing to keep in mind if going with a full exhaust system, like the Bassani Radial Sweepers, you'll need other exhaust mods. Namely a Stage I type air cleaner to increase airflow and a tuner to adjust the fuel. Starting with slip-on mufflers initially does not require further mods.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:05 AM
MandyMo
Novice

Originally Posted by RKZen
I'm pretty sure Bassani makes the sweepers for your Custom, but call them to be sure.

One thing to keep in mind if going with a full exhaust system, like the Bassani Radial Sweepers, you'll need other exhaust mods. Namely a Stage I type air cleaner to increase airflow and a tuner to adjust the fuel. Starting with slip-on mufflers initially does not require further mods.
I was aware of that. I am looking forward to learning to do it all myself! Thank you for your help!