Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting V&H Shortshots on 2016 Iron 883, will K&N filter addition be enough?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:55 AM
Chad Ainsworth
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting V&H Shortshots on 2016 Iron 883, will K&N filter addition be enough?

Hi everyone, I've been riding for a year now and have done many things mechanically to my own bike (and old cars for that matter), so I'm not a newbie, but I'm also not a professional!

I am purchasing a new 2016 Iron 883 in two weeks, and I'm wanting to have the dealer install a Vance & Hines Shortshots exhaust system, but instead of paying out the *** for a Screaming Eagle stage 1 air cleaner kit, I'd much rather keep the stock Air Cleaner and just replace the air filter inside it with a high-flow K&N filter. Then I'm thinking of having the dealer remap the fuel to match the level of air flow coming in with the new filter and going out with the V&H Shortshots exhaust. I know this is not a true stage 1 system by any means, and I know I will not be getting as much horsepower out of it either. That's not my priority.

All I'm looking for is better sound, looks, and maybe a slight increase of power if possible, but not necessary. I honestly really like the look of the stock Air Cleaner on the new 2016 Iron, and I'd prefer to keep it. I'm assuming by adding a high-flow K&N air filter to the stock Air Cleaner setup, it will help the bike breathe better with the new exhaust after a fuel remap, but before the dealer threatens me with any claims about this setup being potentially harmful or something to my bike's motor because they really just want to upsell me on extra parts and labor... please let me know if that's true or not! I wouldn't think so, but I just want to hear from some honest folks about the potential issues/etc of the setup described above, and if it's not harmful to my new bike then I'll stick to my guns at the dealer and resist their attempts to upsell me on a stage 1 air cleaner. Thanks!!

Old 06-11-2016, 04:41 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Firstly, the dealer will charge you the same price as a tuner just to remap. You'll be better off with a Fuel Moto Micro EFI tuner.

Second, you can change the exhaust without getting the air cleaner, and you wont need to remap or get a tuner. the exhaust will be freely flowing out and everything will be ok. Now if you want more air in as well, that's where you need a tuner to adjust the fuel. You wont need that if you only change the air filter since you wont get more air in.

Please read my thread about this, i got lots of nice info on that matter. Ended up buying the k&n filter and cut down the backing plate to let the air in. Bike runs perfect now with the tuner.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...nal-cover.html

I did it just like that. Kept the original cover which i really like.
http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=719615

Last edited by Derf_; 06-11-2016 at 04:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cvaria (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 05:41 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

IMHO, get the bike stock and then order your pipes, intake + tuner. Install, adjust for upgrades and enjoy. In the end, you'll be much better off cash-wise & w/self-satisfaction of learning your ride. Good luck & enjoy the new bike!

Old 06-11-2016, 09:52 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Again, the Fuel Moto Micro EFI is far superior to any dealer download for about the same price. And you will see very little if any performance gains installing the K&N filter in the stock housing.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Chad Ainsworth
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Derf_

Second, you can change the exhaust without getting the air cleaner, and you wont need to remap or get a tuner. the exhaust will be freely flowing out and everything will be ok. Now if you want more air in as well, that's where you need a tuner to adjust the fuel. You wont need that if you only change the air filter since you wont get more air in.

Yeah I've read a lot about people who say it's completely okay to just add new pipes without any need to remap or add additional air cleaners... but I've also read that can be harmful to your motor and cause it to backfire sometimes. Is that true? Will my motor suffer over the long run if I just add new pipes only? Will I lose a couple horsepower from having less back pressure also?

Old 06-11-2016, 11:23 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad Ainsworth
Yeah I've read a lot about people who say it's completely okay to just add new pipes without any need to remap or add additional air cleaners... but I've also read that can be harmful to your motor and cause it to backfire sometimes. Is that true? Will my motor suffer over the long run if I just add new pipes only? Will I lose a couple horsepower from having less back pressure also?
In my experience, i tried to do the exhaust only then wait to complete the stage one. I couldnt stand the occasional backfiring so i did the stage one a week after. Nothing serious, just some occasional popping at deceleration. Now that i have the Micro EFI tuner and opened up the backplate, and after some fine tuning with the tuner, the bike runs better than ever.

Never heard of damage due to after market exhaust.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:03 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm a carb guy, but when it comes to the EFI everyone is backing the Fuel Moto so if it were me I'd go with complete stock ride for a while. If you're still stuck on the Vance & Hines after that then get them, the Micro, and Arlen Ness makes a AC kit that utilizes the stock cover.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:11 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,199 Likes on 1,685 Posts
Default again with these frickin short shots...

Originally Posted by Tommy C
Originally Posted by smitty901
Most HD issues are self inflected.
This is so true. How many threads here have a title like "I just put Short Shots on my bike & now it runs like crap". Well, you put a lousy exhaust on the bike so what do you expect?
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...l#post15229126

just will not die

Last edited by cvaria; 06-11-2016 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:13 PM
19Sparrow87
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh yea and instead of Vance&Hines.. use your extra time to research much better exhausts. Rhinehart and Bassani being 2 very good companies. Personally I'm a straight pipes kind of guy, but hey to each his/her own.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:13 AM
siik2nr
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll chime in with the V&H Fuel pak 3. You can tune it yourself via bluetooth and retune as many times as you want for any configuration you change to in the future. For the cost of going to the dealer and having them tune, you could by your own fuel controller.

Quick Reply: Getting V&H Shortshots on 2016 Iron 883, will K&N filter addition be enough?