Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G/F got a new 883 Iron. Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 10:56 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default G/F got a new 883 Iron. Need some opinions

So my girlfriend got a new Iron. She is new to riding. I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

Today we got a demo reach seat for her to try. She is 5'7 so she is flat footed but I want her to feel more planted when stopped.

One of my thoughts was to get the Progressive Monotubes. (I have them in my Slim) But I am not seeing them for the Iron. Would the bike be easier in the turns for her with a lowered/better suspension? Is the front on the Iron a little higher so if we were to do just the front suspension(lowered) for now would the bike sit level?

Any other advise would be great.

Thanks
Eric

Old 06-03-2016, 11:01 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I can't answer all your questions but I just lowered my standard 883. I honestly couldn't tell any difference in turns except that my jiffy stand now occasionally drags the ground. That could obviously be a big deal to a new rider because number one it could startle them. I lowered mine by buying a set of nightster suspension from a forum member here.

Old 06-03-2016, 11:30 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Just get her some boots with heels and thick soles.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:27 AM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

I can say that I am 5'7 and I have a 2014 Iron and if anything I want to go up a bit. I am just flat foot now and ill be a bit on the ***** of my feet at stop lights without boots but the ride is just better. with the stock exhaust (my have changed a bit for 2016) I was scraping that all the time plus scraping the kick stand. really I just want more cornering angle and more spring travel for bumps. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-04-2016, 05:12 AM
Derf_
Tourer
Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tnriverluver
Just get her some boots with heels and thick soles.
That, and a driving course if she hasnt done it.

Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

At 5'7 she is plenty tall for the stock height. Better suspension is always a nice thing, but i wouldn't lower it. Lowering the bike will make it worse in turns as it will restrict her lean angle. Running out of lean angle in a turn is not a fun experiance. Also it will handle worse on bad pavement as the bumps will upset the bike more on a lowered suspension. Not only can this be uncomfortable, but it can impact the direction you are pointing especially in turns. I would think the reach seat might not give her enough room to operate comfortably, unless she is all torso and short legs? +1 on the rider training class. Sounds like practice and confidence will help her "fit" the bike best. Congrats on her new ride. You guys are going to have a lot of fun together.

Last edited by Thingfish; 06-04-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

As I did some reading on different rear shocks I realized that lowering the rear isn't a good idea. But maybe down the line we will change them for better ride quality. Still wish they made the Monotubes.

I was hoping with a different seat she would be more comfortable at stops. She is flat footed. I know I prefer a narrow nose on a seat vs it feeling like my thighs are being pushed out.

She did take a riders course a couple years ago. (just before we met) All of a sudden she wanted a bike. I pushed towards getting something like a Honda Rebel to start out with. But she didn't agree and with the promotion on the Iron they have this month there was no stopping her.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Zakk13
Stellar HDF Member
Received 660 Likes on 346 Posts

I like the Iron.. Its a pretty sweet bike. Id lower the bike a little, slimmer seat which would put her down even more, boots with tall heels and have her do a riders course.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:22 AM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
As I did some reading on different rear shocks I realized that lowering the rear isn't a good idea. But maybe down the line we will change them for better ride quality. Still wish they made the Monotubes.

I was hoping with a different seat she would be more comfortable at stops. She is flat footed. I know I prefer a narrow nose on a seat vs it feeling like my thighs are being pushed out.

She did take a riders course a couple years ago. (just before we met) All of a sudden she wanted a bike. I pushed towards getting something like a Honda Rebel to start out with. But she didn't agree and with the promotion on the Iron they have this month there was no stopping her.
In a way consider yourself lucky. My wife started on a Virago 250 and later I got her a Shadow 600. She can ride that 600 with the best of us and It does fine keeping up at highway speeds but is getting old and long in the tooth. I have begged her to get a bigger bike but refuses because she loves her Shadow so much. I keep trying to get her to try my Dyna but so far she hasn't. I know if she ever feels the power of the Dyna she will be hooked!

Old 06-04-2016, 11:23 AM
JesseDyna
Road Warrior
Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

Ride for 2 to 3 mo then she says what she wants.

Quick Reply: G/F got a new 883 Iron. Need some opinions