Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H Straight shot vs SEII slip-on feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 03:23 AM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Default V&H Straight shot vs SEII slip-on feedback

Vance and Hines Straight shot slip-on vs SEII slip-on, here is my honest feedback.
I had the SEII slip-in since 1,000 miles, 3,000 miles now, I am pretty happy with the sound and performance, bang on the buck slip on I must say. I hate myself for getting new ideas everyday, I always want to try different things to make my Sportster the way I like. Basically I am looking for loud pipes, I love that loud rumbling sound. I have pulled my trigger and ordered the V&H Straight shot slip on, thank god I sold my SEII in 2 days to another forum user.
My first impression is LOUD, I mean real loud. The baffles that came in the pipe are like grills, no insulation. When it is idling, it has a little rattling sound, my buddy said it might go away once the carbon is built up in the mufflers. It sounds deep from 1,500 rpm and up, that rumbling sound I am looking for. I do get more vibration on these mufflers at any rpm, it could be the pipe chamber is a bit smaller than the SEII, less sound dampening. With the baffles on, I didn't hear any big popping and crackling sound on deceleration. I may want to try a bigger slow jet and see how it goes, when I installed my SEII, I did the main jet only according to the dyno run sheet. I also like the look of it, the straight end cuts look good on my drag style set up. Overall I am satisfied with these slip-ons, V&H vs SE, I cannot say one better than the other, SEII is a lot smoother than Straight shot, low end torque is slightly better too. Straight shot has the big sound, totally different sound. If you want something smooth, decent sound, not very loud, go for the SEII. On the other hand, if noise level is not a concern, I do recommend Straight shot, make your Sportster sounds like a big twin. My buddy was riding with me this evening, he said my pipes are too loud. I said, no way I didn't hear nothing, thank to my 3/4 helmet lol. Hope my feedback will help you choose the mufflers you want. Alex [8D]

Old 05-19-2007, 04:47 AM
Hamperdiver
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: V&H Straight shot vs SEII slip-on feedback

I think that was a great breakdown for everyone. I have been going back and forth for the last few weeks but I finally decided to go with the SE II pipes. I don't know how much longer they will be available so I figured if I decided to switch to the Vance and Hines I could always sell the SE IIs for a good price. I hear the big city thunder (hope I got that name right) baffles for the SE II's will make them louder if you find the sound to be lacking.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:21 AM
quig
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V&H look like drag pipes too!!

Old 05-19-2007, 10:41 AM
ontcanuck
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

not sure where anybody is coming from but my SE II turns heads everywhere I go.Includes my neighbours,wife,cops everyone says they are too loud.I love the sound but when I start it up at 7:00 am to go for a ride I wake the neighbours up.I cannot imagine it any louder like the V&H ,thought about wrapping them with fibreglass repacking material just my 2 cents

Old 05-19-2007, 11:18 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

i am lucky i guess, i have an empty parking lot just a block away from my house, i push my bike down there to start it up and warm it up. My wife says when i start my bike out front of our house, the pictures hanging on the walls shake and vibrate.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:40 AM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

If you think the sound is to loud you could try Quiet Baffles. They soften the sound a bit.

Sammi

Old 05-19-2007, 01:12 PM
ontcanuck
Cruiser

I tried everywhere to get quieter baffles nobody mkes them.Just big thunder baffles which are noisier.Thought about wrapping them with fibreglass packing

Old 05-19-2007, 01:30 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

Did you fine the SEII to be too loud? I think the noise level is acceptable, can't compare to your stock mufflers though.

ORIGINAL: ontcanuck

I tried everywhere to get quieter baffles nobody mkes them.Just big thunder baffles which are noisier.Thought about wrapping them with fibreglass packing

Old 05-19-2007, 02:26 PM
ontcanuck
Cruiser

I think they sound great but there are other opinions( wife neighbours etc.)

Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member

I tell you something, nobody can stand for any Harley engine sound first thing in the morning, unless you have the stock muffler but still, they are not happy. In the morning, I fire it up for 45 secs then go, shift 2nd and keep the rpm low till I hit the main road. No complaints from neighbor.

Quick Reply: V&H Straight shot vs SEII slip-on feedback