Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:14 PM
chillingjp
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good on you sir, I'm really behind the curve..I just bought my first bike about 6 months ago. I'm 46, have lived in England, Hong Kong, Singapore, Canada and now the US...and never learnt to drive anything! Did the MSF course, got me a '48 and promptly injured my knee at work. Since then I've only managed 43 miles on my bike! Still very nervous but am sure that once I'm 100% and can actually get out there I'll just take it easy and try to build up the confidence levels.
I wish you and all here well (and welcome any advice )

Old 05-04-2016, 07:19 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Sold my first bike (Honda 150) in 1967, bought my second bike (Softail Breakout) in 2013.

My most valuable advice, FWIW:

1. Take a course.

2. Don't ride 2 up.

3. Plan + pre-drive routes & plan riding times, before you ride, so challenges are minimal at first.

4. Don't group ride. (One or two buddies who are committed to looking after you is ok)

5. Ride your own bike.

6. Pick a comfortable speed then go slower.

7. Do not keep up with other riders. They will wait for you.

8. Do not challenge yourself when negotiating curves. Experienced riders make this look easier than it is.

9. When you encounter patches of gravel or tar snakes, etc. just ride straight, don't alter your speed, brake, or screw around with your handlebars. Your bike will handle this stuff ok as long as you don't attempt to manage things you don't yet know how to manage.

10. Hopefully you have ABS. Learn, memorize and both mentally and physically rehearse correct braking technique as you ride until its a matter of muscle memory. Do this anyway but this is far more urgent to learn if you don't have ABS.

11. Assume drivers have not seen you even when they're looking right at you.

Now I'm certainly not experienced enough to teach anyone anything but these ideas have helped me keep the shiny side up so far.

ENJOY !!

The following 2 users liked this post by HKMark23:
chillingjp (05-04-2016), tlaw (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 08:28 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm right there w/you on 10 of 11 of your points and particularly like numbers 6 and 8 - great advice. I'm not much for training courses and even good ones won't give me what I really need which is practice. Besides, i'm not worried about killing myself doing the slow speed stuff you do in training courses!

To the guy who injured his knee: I was slow to realize the impact of my broken ankle on my riding. I was heavily favoring my right leg and it created balance and braking issues.

The following users liked this post:
chillingjp (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And thanks to you all for the expressions fellowship and good will. I gotta say its really nice.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:31 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

I'm amazed at the number of guys (gals?) who have begun riding later in life. It's pretty awesome.

The following 2 users liked this post by TStephen:
chillingjp (05-05-2016), SWMB (05-04-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 04:00 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,940 Likes on 1,116 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
I'm right there w/you on 10 of 11 of your points and particularly like numbers 6 and 8 - great advice. I'm not much for training courses and even good ones won't give me what I really need which is practice. Besides, i'm not worried about killing myself doing the slow speed stuff you do in training courses!

To the guy who injured his knee: I was slow to realize the impact of my broken ankle on my riding. I was heavily favoring my right leg and it created balance and braking issues.
I should have offered that some of my suggestions were time sensitive, (ie #3 is for early days primarily and "braking" is an early priority).

You may be well advised to reassess your ideas about the courses. Ask some riders who've taken them. Thats all I'll say about that.

I must say I am likewise impressed and delighted at the success we late bloomers are having with our riding. Old dawgs do learn new tricks after all !!

Old 05-05-2016, 06:37 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,031 Likes on 509 Posts

Never Ever get too comfortable.
I started riding Sportsters in 1971 and still ride one. Two weeks ago while on a group ride I was in a long curve and a bike was taking the curve in the opposite direction and I took my eye and brain off what I was doing to look at the on coming bike. I ended up on the edge of the road in the gravel still leaning but did not go down. Not sure how I made it.

That was a pucker factor of ten. I now have renewed faith in concentrating on what I am doing in a curve but I know myself to well and hope that I never see a beautiful woman in a bikini while I am in a tight curve I will be a dead man.

The following users liked this post:
Scumbag_72 (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 07:50 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Never Ever get too comfortable....I now have renewed faith in concentrating on what I am doing in a curve but I know myself to well and hope that I never see a beautiful woman in a bikini while I am in a tight curve I will be a dead man.
Yes, negotiating tight curves while negotiating tight curves can be deadly.

Old 05-05-2016, 07:52 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HKMark23
Sold my first bike (Honda 150) in 1967, bought my second bike (Softail Breakout) in 2013.

My most valuable advice, FWIW:

1. Take a course.

6. Pick a comfortable speed then go slower.

ENJOY !!

Number 6 is damn near impossible!

Old 05-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
HKMark23 gave excellent advice.

Kim and I took over 20 years off from riding to raise kids and other things. When we bought a couple bikes we both took the Utah motorcycle safety course. It was a Friday night class room, Sat. and Sunday morning training on a mix match of 250cc bikes and we had a blast. Learned and relearned things we use every-time we saddle up. The slow speed stuff was just a small part of the class. Some of the things we learned, or reviewed were counter steering, avoiding obstacles, what to do when you can't avoid a obstacle , (running over a 2x4), practicing quick stops and so much more. I know the training has saved my bacon more than once.
I recommend this course to everyone who rides.
Good Luck
Bill

The following 3 users liked this post by Vernal:
crazytown (05-05-2016), sgthwjack (05-05-2016), tlaw (05-05-2016)

Quick Reply: New Rider Update