Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Update

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:14 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 778 Likes on 501 Posts

Congratulations on your first real enjoyable ride. It happens at a different time for everyone. As far as push starting I believe a EFI bike needs some battery life where a carbed bike you can push start. If I'm wrong on this I'm sure a more experienced rider will let us both know.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:45 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 466 Posts

Confidence comes with saddle time....keep on riding. Relax and enjoy.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:39 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

@DCrider132

Congrats!! And major kudos to you for jumping in the saddle at 63.

I started riding later in life as well and I have to admit, the extra caution that age naturally confers is probably to my advantage. If I had started riding when I was young, I'd probably have killed myself before reaching the 1,000 mile mark.

I think you're right about the 40+ years of driving experience. It has helped me too.

The problem I have is that when I get on my Sporty, I just want to go FAST!!

And yes, you can roll start a carbed bike. I've done it a few times when I was trying to hold on to an old battery for too long.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:58 AM
HD Or Bust
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I started young, and have tried and stuck with it as much as finances allowed. I hope to still be riding long into my older ages! Keep at it, and soon you will be enjoying every ride!

Old 05-04-2016, 11:21 AM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
Getting to this point has been tough, but I've definitely reached a new stage of development as a rider. I'm firmly in that stage where I have just enough confidence and skill to hurt myself But its a blast!!
That's outstanding!! It comes at a different rate for everyone. I had taken an extended break from riding (marriage/family/kid), and when I started back up, it took a little while to get comfortable again. I took the HD riding course to work on getting those basic skills again, and then it just takes time in the saddle for the rest.

Hope your ankle heals up quickly, and keep on truckin' brother!!

Old 05-04-2016, 01:44 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Another great ride today, although the streets were a little wet which made me nervous. I noticed drivers around here will go 50-55 on fairly small roads which always seemed slow to me in a car (I grew up in NYC) but now seems really kind of fast. Makes me think that once I get out on the highways, higher speeds will be easier to deal with since the roads will have more lanes, be wider and with lower sloping curves.

Thanks for the response on push starting. Mine is an 'o7 with fuel injection so I guess its not an option.

Old 05-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,575 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride, take your time. Ride safe.
Bill

Old 05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
skypeace
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool

Great to hear about another fellow gray panther getting his ride on.
I am 63 now and started riding at 60. At 61 I also broke an ankle and rode home the 1100 miles from Iowa on it thinking it was only sprained. I have had some terrifying moments learning to ride but I wouldn't give it up for anything. I have clocked about 20k miles across this great land going through 32 states so far and hope to make all the lower 48.

I love the freedom, and it seems I am most alive when riding. I indeed "Ride To Live, and Live To Ride."

Keeping The Shiny Side Up!

Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM
hestersu
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm right there with you (57)! I've been riding since October and I'm really getting comfortable now. I've been out on highway twice at 65mph and it was a little spooky with cattle trucks flying by you at 75+. I just inched over to the right and kept telling myself I could do it.

Keep riding safe and enjoy! I know I am and I'm glad to hear there are others like me that are just learning to ride in our maintenance years!

Old 05-04-2016, 06:40 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by hestersu
I've been out on highway twice at 65mph and it was a little spooky with cattle trucks flying by you at 75+. I just inched over to the right and kept telling myself I could do it.
Started at 51. I'm right there with you guys. It's a lot to get used to. A much bigger learning curve than I expected but I look forward to getting out on it every chance I get.

Quick Reply: New Rider Update