Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weigh in on 1250. NRHS or Hammer Perf?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 07:59 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

I can't say anything about either company other than I wish I would have been better informed and done my homework more so I would have gone with Hammer. I decided to go with the Hammer 88" big torque kit from Zipper's Performance based on the advice of the parts manager at the shop who used to use Zipper's when he drag raced bikes earlier in his life. I must say I am extremely disappointed. I spent over 6 grand on this including labor costs and have had issue after issue since I got the bike back.

First after install, the base gaskets were leaking. Took it back to correct the issue. She stayed in the shop for a month. Got it back and 1 hour outta the shop an adjustable pushrod came loose and caused a valve to be hammered on and bent by the piston in the rear cylinder.

Towed it back to the shop. Heads were sent back to Zipper's for repair and inspection. Bike was in the shop for 2.5 months. Got it back and rode it passed the break in period then really ripped on it to feel the power. Huge cloud of smoke outta the exhaust. After venting the engine externally, I found that oil was puking out through the rear breather and dumping into the rear cylinder which was causing the smoke clouds.

Well it has been 3 months now in the shop and the top end is back at Zipper's for the second time and has been for going on 3 weeks now. Oh, I was also told by Zipper's to expect well over 100hp and torque outta this kit and was estimated conservatively it should be around 115-120 hp and 110-115 torque. It has not come close to those numbers. The one and only dyno run it got after install measured 97hp and 94 torque. Not bad but not what they advertised nor what they told me to expect. They even told me to just keep riding it and rig up a catch can that I can empty every so many miles. This thing would need to be like 2 quarts in volume to be able to hold the amount of oil that was dumping out without overflowing. To say the least that was not gonna happen and I was shocked to hear that come from the Dan at Zipper's. Seems like Dan is a popular name for the guys in charge at these places... Anyway.

Save a few grand and go with the 1250 kit from Hammer and get the perfection and performance you expect outta a kit like this. From what I see and read, they really are constantly working on improvements and developments with their products. Don't make the mistake I did and end up not riding because your bike is living in a shop more than it is operational. It seems like Zipper's got too big for their britches and have lost the quality control they once had which built up their reputation. Or maybe it was just the luck of the draw and I got the one kit out of the thousands they supposedly sell every year that was not right in some way. Sorry for the rant, i just want to make sure no one makes the same mistake I did by choosing Zipper's Performance or at the very least, use extreme caution if you are considering their products.

Last edited by Bowhunter8607; 05-03-2016 at 08:15 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:24 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

Hammer does not whine on the forums like the other guy does. Just can't go with a whiner.

The following users liked this post:
Madnss (05-03-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 12:00 AM
ev0lution7
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got a hammer EFI to carb intake on my 04 1200 (has a 08 1200 motor in it.) with hammer .570 cams and a good 2-1 pipe. Hsr42 and hammer A/C. If I do decide hammer 1250/1275 kit. It will be hammer all the way!

Makes 83hp and 81ft tq. My Dyno guy was supper impressed!!!!

Old 05-04-2016, 08:24 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Sounds like you guys better settle this on the dyno and dragstrip or maybe high noon...

Søren Rix Petersen (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM
hexnut
Banned

Originally Posted by Bonneville Racer
As usual madness is trying to spread rumors that simply are not true. NRHS was not kicked off this forum.(obviously as I am still here ) I have not been a sponsor of this forum nor has hammer at any time.

There just seems to be a difference in the customers that NRHS gets vs hammer customers for some reason. So many, but not all, hammer customers just seem to have this need to always try to bully people if you do not agree with their point of view. Life is just too short to live like that IMO, so I chose to excuse myself from forums where this was happening.

As for that post above talking about why Dan Norlin formed his company all I will say is there are always 2 sides to every story and leave it at that. I'm sure most people will understand.

I am just getting too old for the elementary school playground antics that so many folks seem to want to engage in on the internet. I started my own forum just to get away from it!!!
Your nose seems to be growing Pinocchio.

Last edited by hexnut; 05-04-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:04 AM
hexnut
Banned

deleted.

Last edited by hexnut; 05-05-2016 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-04-2016, 12:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by NSFW
Look,

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but this went from helping someone who's looking for help before spending 2-3 grand, to a damn D swinging contest. I appreciate the effort from those who were trying to help me, but I DO NOT care about feuds and vendettas. I care about performance, value, and reliability.

Being a great mechanic/engineer/modder and being a good person are NOT the same thing. As long as the product and end result is great then I spent MY money in the right place. Neither company has wronged me. In fact both have been pretty straightforward. Dan from NRHS even recommended that I don't go overboard based on what I was telling him I was looking for. He could have leaned me towards spending more money. I was asking for more more more.

Ultimately I still haven't made up my mind yet, but I know which way I am leaning. If anyone has genuine advice on which company and how much work to do, I am extremely grateful.

This thread has undeniably run off course, but that is routine around forums, for all manner of reasons. You have enough info in here and around the rest of the Sporty section to make up your mind. If not then toss a coin.

sgthwjack (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Madnss
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by NSFW
Look,

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but this went from helping someone who's looking for help before spending 2-3 grand, to a damn D swinging contest. I appreciate the effort from those who were trying to help me, but I DO NOT care about feuds and vendettas. I care about performance, value, and reliability.

Being a great mechanic/engineer/modder and being a good person are NOT the same thing. As long as the product and end result is great then I spent MY money in the right place. Neither company has wronged me. In fact both have been pretty straightforward. Dan from NRHS even recommended that I don't go overboard based on what I was telling him I was looking for. He could have leaned me towards spending more money. I was asking for more more more.

Ultimately I still haven't made up my mind yet, but I know which way I am leaning. If anyone has genuine advice on which company and how much work to do, I am extremely grateful.

What is your budget and power goals. Hammer has some really nice set ups on their site. Ball park power levels and prices. Excellent information there. If you want some hard core thundering power their 110hp kit rocks. Still reliable,street able and fun. I have many friends with this set up. Don't want spend a lot, look at their 90 and 100 hp kits. All of them are proven performance packages. I've tried them all. They gear towards efi bikes, which is good because the
They've been around since 07, but all of their stuff works on 03 and older xl's too. A huge win win for Xl owners. I apologize for getting off track. But a business owner caught in a lie is interesting to say the lease. Good luck man

Old 05-05-2016, 10:51 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

This thread has been edited to remove an argument. If it starts again, action will be taken against the perp. It's fine to discuss the merits of certain products, but when a vendor jumps in to disrupt things, that's not going to be tolerated.

Mr_Taipan (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:47 AM
hexnut
Banned

I have done business with Hammer. They are a great bunch of guys. They have helped out when they didn't have to. I am a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Weigh in on 1250. NRHS or Hammer Perf?