Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 09:54 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Gas tank

My father in law passed away and we got his 2003 883 sporty. He did some customization and mods to it. One that is a big deal is he put on a bigger gas tank. My wife now rides it and the other day we were about 2 miles from home, and it spit and sputtered and died. We flipped over to reserve (carbs) and it started and got it home. We put on about 100 miles and figured it was about out of gas. I only put in 2 gallons, and it is probably a 5 gallon tank. I am not familiar with this tank, as it has 2 gas caps. I assume it is one tank and fuel gets used from the entire tank.? I have only filled it from the right side cap. Is there something I need to check? I am thinking of pulling the tank and seeing what is up. Any thoughts or suggestion s before I pull tank? A bit confused at this point.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:00 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

If you only have one petcock it should get fuel from both sides.
Use a flashlight and inspection mirror instead of pulling the tank.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:23 AM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

If it has split tanks , then there is a small crossover fuel line.
If you fill right side only, the pump will shut off before the gas can get to the left side.
result ? only the right tank get's gas and the left one will finally get some = half tanks

fill the left side first, "replace the left cap", then fill the right tank.
(if you leave off the left cap it will overflow as you fill the right"

Old 05-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

First, we need pics.

Second, take the other gas cap off, is it a dummy or does it go to the tank.

Third, see if you have a crossover line connecting the bottom fronts of the two tanks.

My guess (without pics) is you have a one piece tank, both gas caps may be functional, leading to the same tank. Perhaps the petcock is not at a low spot which is resulting in you not being able to utilize all of the gas in the tanks. Did you look inside before filling it up? Was it low or half full. Do you have a tank lift kit?

Chances of some one welding brackets to the frame to mount real two piece tanks are unlikely with the current aftermarket tanks available. If the bike was older it could be, but considering the vintage I would be surprised. Again, pics and lots of 'em.

The following users liked this post:
sammer4u (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Truley split tanks will have two gas caps allowing you to fill each side independently. These days those tanks would be considered "Old School". Modern tanks are one piece and have a crossover line that equalizes both sides of the tank. This is to compensate for the valley on the tank that saddles the frame. Harley, to keep the nostalgic look of the tank, either installs a fuel gauge that looks like a gas cap or dummy gas cap on the left hand side of the tank.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:34 AM
sammer4u
Tourer

Originally Posted by Architect
First, we need pics.

Second, take the other gas cap off, is it a dummy or does it go to the tank.

Third, see if you have a crossover line connecting the bottom fronts of the two tanks.

My guess (without pics) is you have a one piece tank, both gas caps may be functional, leading to the same tank. Perhaps the petcock is not at a low spot which is resulting in you not being able to utilize all of the gas in the tanks. Did you look inside before filling it up? Was it low or half full. Do you have a tank lift kit?

Chances of some one welding brackets to the frame to mount real two piece tanks are unlikely with the current aftermarket tanks available. If the bike was older it could be, but considering the vintage I would be surprised. Again, pics and lots of 'em.
I will try to get some pics tonight. The tank does have two caps that come off and allow for fuel to be delivered into either one or both. My Heritage had the two "caps" of which one was the gauge and was not to come out. This tank does appear to have a separation in the middle. Was poking around a bit last night to see about hoses, and my timing was not good as it was getting late and was not wanting to check it out much more. I will attempt to check it over again tonight, with pics being snapped. I do have fuel on both sides, of course with bike on the jiffy stand the fuel is more on the left side... not sure about when I fueled it last how much was on either side? Just assumed at the time it went to both sides, and one might have been there for the nostalgic look. Thanks for the input to this point, I am going to definitely pay attention when it spits and sputters next time if it truly is out of fuel or not... and fuel it left side first and then the right side...

Old 05-04-2016, 08:53 PM
sammer4u
Tourer

Finally had a chance to snap some pictures. Not the best, but hope shows what we got.

Attached Thumbnails Gas tank-gas-tank-5.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-6.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-7.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-8.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-9.jpg  

Gas tank-gas-tank-10.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-1.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-2.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-3.jpg   Gas tank-gas-tank-4.jpg  

Old 05-05-2016, 07:08 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Good pics. That is a one piece tank with two gas caps for filling it up. If the bike is level does not matter which one you use it all goes to the same place. If on the kick stand, use the right side for maximum fill up. The fuel line at the front of the tank is the crossover that helps the fuel get from one side of the tank to the other due to the tunnel at the frame.

Overall you probably did not fill the bike up completely. And maybe that tank is not 5 gallons, could be more like 3.5 or 4. Check this listing from J&P:

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2015...?entrypage=705

It looks like your tank, they list it as 3.9 gallons.

Last edited by Architect; 05-05-2016 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sammer4u (05-05-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM
sammer4u
Tourer

Originally Posted by Architect
Good pics. That is a one piece tank with two gas caps for filling it up. If the bike is level does not matter which one you use it all goes to the same place. If on the kick stand, use the right side for maximum fill up. The fuel line at the front of the tank is the crossover that helps the fuel get from one side of the tank to the other due to the tunnel at the frame.

Overall you probably did not fill the bike up completely. And maybe that tank is not 5 gallons, could be more like 3.5 or 4. Check this listing from J&P:

http://www.jpcycles.com/catalog/2015...?entrypage=705

It looks like your tank, they list it as 3.9 gallons.
Thanks for the help. I am going to drive it to get it low on fuel and will see how much I can stuff in it. I appreciate the help and info!