Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting tired of people telling me my 883 is a girls bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 08:23 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaw
One guy took it for a ride and came back praising it.
That's like saying "One guy plowed my wife and came back praising her."

I've never had anyone tell me straight out my Sportster is a girls bike but some do get pretty snobby and kinda look down on it. I couldn't care less though because they won't be able to keep up with me long enough to say anything bad about it.

Last year I rode to Red River for the Memorial Day Rally and was riding with guys on street glides and everyone I met would kinda just look at my bike with a crappy look on their faces and then complement the guys I was with about their bikes. I would rather have it like that anyway because they are much more surprised when I open it up and leave them in my dust. Take it with a grain of salt and have pride in your ride no matter what it is.

The following users liked this post:
tlaw (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:42 AM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
Take it with a grain of salt and have pride in your ride no matter what it is.
That's the whole point.
Start back with the OP and you see why it all continues. It's like poking your brother, it's only fun if they react. If they don't care it's over.

Old 05-12-2016, 08:53 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

duplicate

Last edited by tlaw; 05-12-2016 at 09:46 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Maximus924
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacks
Yes, interesting. Perhaps a few extra zeros by mistake?
the OP stated "25,000k miles" its fair to assume its just "25,000"

either way, thats more windscreen time than probably 50% of the Harley population put on their garage queens.

883s are great little bikes, I always lean towards the 1200 for the "out of the box torque" but that doesn't mean the 883 isn't "torkey"

best thing is, if you do feel the need for something more, a 1200 or 1250 kit is just a credit card swipe away.

great reliable package with optimal fuel economy. 80% of how I ride my 1200, a 883 would perform the same, its just the 2nd gear pulls on the freeway on-ramps where I capture the extra torque.

Keep enjoying your bike, thats all that matters.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:59 PM
Albo5542
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blacks View Post
Yes, interesting. Perhaps a few extra zeros by mistake?
Hey guys. Been away for a bit . Family issues. Im just going to comment to Blacks. Sorry dude. I was wrong. My ODO is 27,565 miles. Sorry I was wrong. Dont call me a liar. I have no reason to. I just started a conversation where people called my bike a girls bike that's all. Those are ignorant people. I don't infer people are liars. If you would like to get together and do a 1000 mile day with me id enjoy that. Yes I ride and I ride A LOT. I'm more comfortable on two wheels than on four. The ONLY time I dont ride is when the road is covered in ice. And yes its on my sporty. Please dont say I made a mistake and put to many zeros on my mileage. Ill go toe to toe with anyone as far as having an iron *** goes. All i originally said was I was tired of having people tell me i'm on a girls bike. BTW, the Sporty is a great product. VERY reliable. Especially after only 25 miles on it like Blacks implied that I have on it BTW I have a good friend who has A BMW GS 650 . A Thumper of all things. Hes got more saddle time than anyone I know on that thing. No one calls that a girls bike. Just shows how ignorant some people can be.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:05 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
That's like saying "One guy plowed my wife and came back praising her."

I've never had anyone tell me straight out my Sportster is a girls bike but some do get pretty snobby and kinda look down on it. I couldn't care less though because they won't be able to keep up with me long enough to say anything bad about it.

Last year I rode to Red River for the Memorial Day Rally and was riding with guys on street glides and everyone I met would kinda just look at my bike with a crappy look on their faces and then complement the guys I was with about their bikes. I would rather have it like that anyway because they are much more surprised when I open it up and leave them in my dust. Take it with a grain of salt and have pride in your ride no matter what it is.
LOL, love the wife analogy! Truth be told, the only place I've ever heard Sportster's being referred to as "Girl's Bikes", is on this forum. I've never heard it elsewhere. But you're right, they are generally looked down on by most BT owners & wannabees. They just get very little, to no respect. It's been like that for many decades. The main consensus that I typically hear is that they're just too small. And when people refer to "small", they not referring to the displacement. They're referring to the frame work and configuration that gives them that smaller, stubbier look as opposed to the Big Twins. Easily remedied though. You can either blow them off or buy a Street Bob. Seems that a lot of past Sporty owners go for the Street Bob ... which IMO, really is like a bigger Sporty in many ways.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:15 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

[QUOTE=PanHeadRich;15138603, the only place I've ever heard Sportster's being referred to as "Girl's Bikes", is on this forum. I've never heard it elsewhere. .[/QUOTE]

Old 05-12-2016, 01:15 PM
Blacks
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey man I think you are confused. In no way does my post imply that you lied. I was responding to the guys who commented above me saying that it would be virtually impossible to put that many miles on a bike. I was just pointing out that it could have been an honest mistake with a couple of extra zeros; I didn't remember the number from your original post and went with the numbers they were pointing out. Go back and read through the posts and you should see that (the quote of mine you put up even says "by mistake?").

Old 05-12-2016, 02:33 PM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 812 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
Truth be told, the only place I've ever heard Sportster's being referred to as "Girl's Bikes", is on this forum. I've never heard it elsewhere.
Nope...
MY WIFE hears it all the time.
She waits tables at a Cracker Barrel and she is very outgoing and social with her customers.
She used to get excited and share with her customers that I had a bike when she realized they rode..
Eventually they would get around to asking what I rode.
Just about every time she mentioned that I rode a Sportster, the infamous "girls bike" comment would be made followed by "when was I going to buy a real bike" and they would all have a big laugh.
It's all in jest to most.
Over time it started to bother HER, to the point of drawing tears one night.
I told her to stop sweating it, it was no big deal and that it didn't bother me at all.

I love my Sportster!!
It Looks Great!
It Sounds Great!
It Handles Great!
It's NOT going to strand me!
It doesn't break the bank!
I even love the way it smells when it heats up!... and I'm not talking about the exhaust either.
What's not to like?
I'm even on my second one!

Old 05-12-2016, 03:07 PM
Curt1953
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

I've gotten the girls bike comment twice since I bought my "08 1200C. Both times I say back to them. Are you ready to put up your title against this girls bike at the drags Friday night. Both times that shut them up, and they get laughed at by their friends. It's always when they are with other friends/riders.

Quick Reply: Getting tired of people telling me my 883 is a girls bike