Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New HD owner, first project on the Nightster

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 08:53 AM
igoswoop
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HD owner, first project on the Nightster

Hello, after a short intro thread in the right forum, I'm here for some help!

Been riding around 10 years and picked up my first Harley about 5 weeks ago. Put about 1000 miles on it and I've decided on some changes are in order.

The two things I miss most about my previous ride were the brakes and the handling. It would kill what the bike is from what I understand to chase the handling aspects of my old bike on a sportster so I'm not going too far in that direction. I'll be upgrading to progressive fork springs and new rear shocks but wanted to make sure I'm not putting the cart before the horse. Looks like I'll need to tackle the braking upgrade and the suspension, at least the front, at the same time and that'll dictate from what I understand I'll need to do with the rear suspension too.

Front things first, I've got a parts list for the front dual disc conversion and I'm going to do it. I already scored a good deal on a pair of HD Brembo calipers and have part numbers for the fork sliders, rotors, master cylinder etc. I've got a new set of wheels picked out too as I don't see myself taking the time to keep up with taking care of spokes.

First question is, with the new sliders, will I still order the same progressive front spring kit even though I'm intending to raise the rear suspension a little?

The stock nightster rear shock is 11". I enjoy how low the bike sits but I'm shredding my wear indicators on my pegs and I could ride the bike harder if I had the clearance.

I want to go up a little. Not much but a bump up about an inch would probably satisfy me. Looking at the progressive 444 in an 11.5" or a 12". Just recently saw that some folks are slapping on the RK rear shocks but I've got little data and specs at the moment.

Where to go?? Trying not to buy twice. I want dual discs, I want a little more clearance at my pegs and I want the suspension balanced for higher performing ride. I'll get on the motor after it's stopping better and stopping the spark shows in the corners.

This is (a small) part of the "look" I'm going for:

Old 04-20-2016, 02:33 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts
Talking

there some info in my signature under the 2007 sportster that can help you

I'll be upgrading to progressive fork springs and new rear shocks but wanted to make sure I'm not putting the cart before the horse. Looks like I'll need to tackle the braking upgrade and the suspension, at least the front, at the same time and that'll dictate from what I understand I'll need to do with the rear suspension too.

no, you dictate what you'll do. there's no must

First question is, with the new sliders, will I still order the same progressive front spring kit even though I'm intending to raise the rear suspension a little?

yes, no changes there.

The stock nightster rear shock is 11". I enjoy how low the bike sits but I'm shredding my wear indicators on my pegs and I could ride the bike harder if I had the clearance.

12 or 13. copy the roadster specs or above

Where to go?? Trying not to buy twice. I want dual discs, I want a little more clearance at my pegs and I want the suspension balanced for higher performing ride. I'll get on the motor after it's stopping better and stopping the spark shows in the corners.

This is (a small) part of the "look" I'm going for:
.................................................. .......................you could save yourself the stress and just go get the 2016 roadster and add a chin and 1/4 fairing for ~70 bucks....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Set-For-...dW-0oo&vxp=mtr
+

Last edited by cvaria; 04-20-2016 at 02:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
igoswoop (04-20-2016)