Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend wont ride his sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 AM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Friend wont ride his sportster

help me figure this out.

My friend wona new100th anniversary sportster a few years back in a contest. He got to go to the dealership and pick out the color and bike.

He had never ridden a bike before, so he went down and took the motorcyle course, got his license. I was jealous back then, always wanted one and dont know how he lucked out like that (his wife randomly entered on a whim).

Anyways fast forward to today, he will only ride the during the summer. He will only ride it on Sunday mornings, at 9am and will only go a few miles from his house. he basically does a circle around a few blocks then goes back home.
His bike has a grand total of200 miles on it and hes had it for years.

Ive tried many times to get him to meet up with me for a ride, hell i said id be at his house on sunday at 9am and we could go around his frikkin block for all i cared, just thought i could ease him out of his shell. He says okay sounds good but then never calls me, and recently has stopped calling me altogether. Im thinkin he doesnt want to ride with someone.

Question: How the hell does a good bike like that go to someone that doesnt ride it?
Question: Is there really people out there that are happy with just riding it that much?

Seems like a big waste to me. My wife says i should stop pushing him to ride, thats obviously whats made him stop calling me. i just find it hard to believe that theres a guy out there with a nice harley that doesnt want to ride it.
Out of all those years hes never taken it on the freeway, never taken it on a highway, and probably never taken it over 40mph since hes never really been out of his little area. Good lord its killing me. Oh well its his bike i guess.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:59 AM
sgt joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friend wont ride his sportster

Sounds as though your friend is a little gun shy.....Which is not very uncommon believe it or not. I have seen ALOT of motorcycles fer sale with VERY low miles on them for how old they are.Tons of sportsters out there that are 3 or 4 years old with extremely low miles on them....Many folks get a sporty fer their first bike, and some then realize that riding a motorcycle is alot different than drivin a car.....Some just do not feel secure on a bike....

If one don't get in a hurry and is patient.....One can find some incredible deals on a used bike being sold by someone who just don't quite feel very secure or confident in riding their bike....Although sometimes a bike that has been ridden by such a person, could have some problems due to the bike not being rode correctly by someone so inexperienced....Ridin a bike SLOW all the time, for short rides can be tough on an engine......Lugging an engine is hell on piston skirts, etc.....

Old 05-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: saltlick

help me figure this out.

My friend wona new100th anniversary sportster a few years back in a contest. He got to go to the dealership and pick out the color and bike.

He had never ridden a bike before, so he went down and took the motorcyle course, got his license. I was jealous back then, always wanted one and dont know how he lucked out like that (his wife randomly entered on a whim).

Anyways fast forward to today, he will only ride the during the summer. He will only ride it on Sunday mornings, at 9am and will only go a few miles from his house. he basically does a circle around a few blocks then goes back home.
His bike has a grand total of200 miles on it and hes had it for years.

Ive tried many times to get him to meet up with me for a ride, hell i said id be at his house on sunday at 9am and we could go around his frikkin block for all i cared, just thought i could ease him out of his shell. He says okay sounds good but then never calls me, and recently has stopped calling me altogether. Im thinkin he doesnt want to ride with someone.

Question: How the hell does a good bike like that go to someone that doesnt ride it?
Question: Is there really people out there that are happy with just riding it that much?

Seems like a big waste to me. My wife says i should stop pushing him to ride, thats obviously whats made him stop calling me. i just find it hard to believe that theres a guy out there with a nice harley that doesnt want to ride it.
Out of all those years hes never taken it on the freeway, never taken it on a highway, and probably never taken it over 40mph since hes never really been out of his little area. Good lord its killing me. Oh well its his bike i guess.

Maybe all he got to in his riding course was the take it around the block lesson.

I say you get him plastered, show him some great biker films like Easy Rider, The Wild One, Hells Angels On Wheels, etc., show him some girlie biker magazines, take him to a biker bar on a wet T-shirt night contest, and basically get him all worked up into firing up his twins and really riding that HOG like a man.

If that don't work, sneak over to his house some night, steal the bike, replace it with a Honda of some type that he'll never know the difference, and ride that damn thing yourself.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can understand why he doesn't ride it, especially since he had it dumped in his lap. Different people just like different things. If I won a set of golf clubs in a contest someone entered me in, I would be in the same situation and my golfing buddies would be scratching their heads.

What I don't understand is why he doesn't sell it.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:39 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What I don't understand is, what's it to you?I don't see where his doings are that much of a concern to you. Obviously he isn't that keen on riding and does what best suits him. In turn I imagine you do what best pleases you.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:02 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy
Received 290 Likes on 177 Posts

Yeah, ofcourse. Let him do what he wants to do. But you gotta admit that is a little on the odd side.

Well if nothing else he has a good little $$$ return if and when he gets ready to sell it.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont think this is that uncommon. There are a ton of people thatbuy/win hds and never ride them. A lot of people impulse buy them for 40th birthdays and so on. They have never needed a bike for the first 39 years and they now must have one....come on. If you think a motorcycle in your garage makes you feel young, or like a badass then there is something wrong with you.

Hey, if this guy is happy, I am happy for him.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:22 AM
Buda
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like bikes are not his thing he should just sell it.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Buda

sounds like bikes are not his thing he should just sell it.
If he can afford to keep it and enjoys riding on Sunday mornings, why should he sell it?

Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 AM
TEK 679
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Offer to rescue it and ride off into the sunset like a good western movie. PS. hurry before someone else does.

Quick Reply: Friend wont ride his sportster