Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend wont ride his sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
eggroll
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friend wont ride his sportster

Maybe you could offer to "babysit" the bike; you know, shine it up a little, check the oil, drive it into the middle of a neighboring state and back. Basic babysitting duties, you know.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:44 PM
TommyF
Advanced

[/quote]
When he rides his bike he also wears a bright orange vest with reflective tape all over it, and a bright yellow 3/4 helmet so people wont hit him while hes riding around the block. A super cool guy though with a great sense of humor. well to each his own i guess.
[/quote]

I wear the orange vest as well. Its the ICON Mil Spec vest. At first I thought that it was stupid. Now I cant see myself riding without it. Not only is it reflective and safe, but it holds my military ID and other crap perfectly. It sounds to me like your friend is just really scared about riding a "big heavy" bike. He sounds way cool though. Maybe you should stick to drinking beer with him. While drinking with him you should tell him some sweet stories about riding. That may give a little more pep in his step when it comes to riding!!

Old 05-17-2007, 12:00 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

I know a guy who bought a 1999 Sporty with 3200 miles on it and in the 2 years he has had it he put 56 miles on it back and forth to the car wash. Well since I started working with him and he has seen me riding he got it out and is getting his permit so he can ride with me & my other bud[8D]
We are planning a roadtrip to go to a Skynard concert in York,PA on 9/11 on the bikesBy the way since Febuary in PA with rain and snow I have 2500+ miles[&:]

Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 AM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,821 Likes on 1,277 Posts

ORIGINAL: saltlick

help me figure this out.

My friend wona new100th anniversary sportster a few years back in a contest. He got to go to the dealership and pick out the color and bike.

He had never ridden a bike before, so he went down and took the motorcyle course, got his license. I was jealous back then, always wanted one and dont know how he lucked out like that (his wife randomly entered on a whim).

Anyways fast forward to today, he will only ride the during the summer. He will only ride it on Sunday mornings, at 9am and will only go a few miles from his house. he basically does a circle around a few blocks then goes back home.
His bike has a grand total of200 miles on it and hes had it for years.

Ive tried many times to get him to meet up with me for a ride, hell i said id be at his house on sunday at 9am and we could go around his frikkin block for all i cared, just thought i could ease him out of his shell. He says okay sounds good but then never calls me, and recently has stopped calling me altogether. Im thinkin he doesnt want to ride with someone.

Question: How the hell does a good bike like that go to someone that doesnt ride it?
Question: Is there really people out there that are happy with just riding it that much?

Seems like a big waste to me. My wife says i should stop pushing him to ride, thats obviously whats made him stop calling me. i just find it hard to believe that theres a guy out there with a nice harley that doesnt want to ride it.
Out of all those years hes never taken it on the freeway, never taken it on a highway, and probably never taken it over 40mph since hes never really been out of his little area. Good lord its killing me. Oh well its his bike i guess.

He probably wishs it was a BAGGER, can't blame him.......[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 05-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Tiggeresq
Advanced

I don't know, this subject is making me think . . .
Harley guyscan "peculiar"
Maybe they come off a little too hardcore

I'm personally not trying to fit in or prove anything, I'm riding man, that's it . . . bagger or sportbike -I don't care, I just need to ride.

If I were in the OP's shoes, I'd stick to drinking beer with this guy.If his frienddoesn't want to ride - that doesn't reflect on his friend's character.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:26 AM
crazydave
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I reallze he won the bike, but I see so many owners of bikes doing the same thing. Garage decoration. I never rode before I went through the MSf course last July. Bought a bright yellow '07 1200 low last August and have over 12,000 on the "bumblebee" so far. Why the heck would someone spend so much money on a Harley and hardly ride it? It doesn't make sense to me. They should just give their expensive bikes to me so I can ride them for awhile and then resell them for a profit. Just cut out the middle man I say. Buy a new bike and give it to me.

I also have bright yellow half and full face helmets (depends on the weather which I use) as I am an advocate of "loud colors save lives". If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't care what other BT folks think of me.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:11 AM
HighDesertKid
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe one day he will just Forrest Gump it and you won't see him for months. You know.... "One day I just felt like riding..... I rode to the end of the block, and then I just felt like riding some more so I kept on riding and riding and riding..." Or maybe his Sportster only has a .03 gallon fuel tank.... It's likely that neither of these scenarios are true..... But I can't figure out any real reason why a guy wouldn't ride a perfectly good Harley.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29881/D206FAE5E3BE4978AC77B75086ACB02C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-17-2007, 07:06 PM
GRLEGRL
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: wbogley

Lets face it. HD motorcycles can be very intimidating to most people(espically to people that have never ridden one). The brand image and the extra weight of the bike makes many people neveous. If you have one, and put 1000s of miles on it we all know it is really a well handling bikes and it is no big deal. But think back to the first day you rode a HD...wernt all you guys a litte nervous? I think this guy might not have been able to get past that point. There are tons of people that sell a bike and never get back on because of a " near scare". People have anear crash all thetime in their cars, but no one sells their car?? It is all about that false sense of securty that some people really need.
I had to learn how to ride a bike on my BRAND NEW sportster. I wanted to start out with a learner bike (like a honda rebel or a blast), but my husband said I would outgrow it too quickly. He was right but with the help of a parking lot and an MSF course I got a good feel for her. My husband helped to keep pushing me out of my comfort zone (riding around in a parking lot to riding around the neighborhood to riding up and down a straight road with little traffic, etc). I needed his prodding to push myself on my bike skills. I knew he wouldn't make me do something if he didn't think I was ready for it.

Long story short, your friend might need a little push to venture out of his comfort zone. You just need to make sure he really enjoys riding though, and isn't just doing the loop b/c he feels obligated to ride a bike that he won. It sounds like he might be scared of it...I was too when I started, but the more seat time you get, the more comfortable you get with your bike. Look for the subtle hints, b/c I'm pretty sure it is against the man laws to admit you are intimidated by a bike. Just my $0.02

Old 05-17-2007, 07:21 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

man its cool to see a chic ride a harley.