Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend wont ride his sportster

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Tiggeresq
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Friend wont ride his sportster

ORIGINAL: TXjammer

Think about this..."BIKER" is not something you teach. I would bet every one of us yearned for a bike looooonng before we actually got one.....it's in the blood, some just don't have it.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 05-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What would be sad is if he always wore all the H-D wardrobe and put on 50 miles a year. If it his and that's all he chooses to ride so be it. I can understand your frustration too. I live on a lake but don't fish. Never been to a baseball, or football game, and don't golf. To each his own.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:25 PM
MacAttack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

too bad people can't arrange one massive multi-way trade to get the things they like and give up those they don't.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:33 PM
itsshemp
Cruiser

I say everyone is different, and what they do with thier stuff is thier choice. Some cant wait to get up in the moring, and ride thier bike to work everyday. I "personally" do not. It takes the fun out of riding "for me", knowing I am just trying toget to work.

Maybe this dude, dont like to ride, or maybe he just likes knowing he owns a HD, and just likes to take it for a spin now and then. Feeling safe, and confident on a bike is HUGE, so if he does not feel it, then he is smart to stick close to home, and still get his "fill". It's hard to say, but at least it sounds like he knows he has an HD, and is holding onto that dream that we all had at one time, or another.
I say talk to him about bikes, about good times you have had, and dont pressure him to ride. Maybe take him to some rally's, bars, etc. maybe he will get the urge to take the blunge.
If nothing else, he may have an old bike with low original miles, that he will make some $$ on one day. Who knows.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TXjammer
Think about this..."BIKER" is not something you teach. I would bet every one of us yearned for a bike looooonng before we actually got one.....it's in the blood, some just don't have it.
I would tend to agree with this one. Even when I was a teenager I wanted a motorcycle, but my dad was more of an gearhead for cars, plus my grandmother kept swearing she would disown me if I got one. It took me a while to scratch the itch, but I finally jumped on board and within less than a year I've done a few road trips, ride to work as often as I can, and just love the experience. On the other hand there might be folks that feel like they should love it, but it doesn't click for them. A sales guy at my stealership told me about one guy that brought in a custom bike he had only put 200 miles on, but would wash and polish religiously for the 3 years he had it.

Basically people should do what makes them happy, and we should be happy that they are happy.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:07 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Lets face it. HD motorcycles can be very intimidating to most people(espically to people that have never ridden one). The brand image and the extra weight of the bike makes many people neveous. If you have one, and put 1000s of miles on it we all know it is really a well handling bikes and it is no big deal. But think back to the first day you rode a HD...wernt all you guys a litte nervous? I think this guy might not have been able to get past that point. There are tons of people that sell a bike and never get back on because of a " near scare". People have anear crash all thetime in their cars, but no one sells their car?? It is all about that false sense of securty that some people really need.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JohnT

ORIGINAL: BentZero

ORIGINAL: saltlick

...(his wife randomly entered on a whim)...
Here's the problem. His wife entered the contest, not him. Regardless, it's his bike and he can choose to ride it how he likes. Sounds like he's just not comfortable riding in a lot of traffic, but still enjoys the occassional ride. You should just show up Sunday morning to show your support and then tell him that you won't give him grief about it again. There's no reason to lose a friend over it.
If you're that concerned about his not using the bike, make him an offer and buy it from him. He, apparently, didn't want it in the first place. In the end, it's his property to do with as he wishes. If he wants to drag it out into the driveway and set fire to it and burn it to the ground, it's his business, not yours. Leave him alone and keep a friend.

Whoa, hold on there just adad burnminute. You don'tpurposely burn anAmerican flag in my presence, and you don't purposely burn a Harley in my presence either, unless it was completely used up and you wanted to put it out of its miserly, like a very worn out American flag.

Burning these two things for no good reason is EVERY red-bloodedAmerican's business, as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

first time i picked up my bike was off craigslist at some dudes house. hell yeah i was scared to drive it home. 1200, vance and hines pipes no baffles, louder than hell in his garage, thing was shakin like a leaf and rumblin when you start it up. That was my first time on a harley, the bike had forward controls i wasnt use to that either. So i get on the bike, and my first time on it have to drive it down his long loose gravel rock driveway to get to the road. I was tempted to walk it down to the road but felt too stupid cause him and his buddies were all there drinkin, old biker types. So, i got up on it and thought screw it either ill fall or i wont, and took off. Dam, i had a 5 mile drive home, that thing scared the crap out of me the whole way home, a good scared though, more excitement than anything. My only bike before had been a honda CB550, there is quite a difference. Next day i was better, a little apprehensive. Now i dont see how i ever felt that way. So yeah i can see what you guys are sayin. I should call him up and just not mention the bike, dam i didnt mean to be an *** about it, just thought he needed a little proddin.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:04 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member

Is his wife hot?

Perhaps she should be the one saddling up!

[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 05-16-2007, 09:45 PM
saltlick
Road Warrior
Received 232 Likes on 175 Posts

ORIGINAL: brgtr3

Is his wife hot?

Perhaps she should be the one saddling up!

[sm=burnout.gif]
ha ha well she is this little asian girl, shes really cool, and yes i guess hot. it must have been funny though seeing him walk into the harley dealership to pick out the bike, he is the first to admit he is a nerd so i can say it. He looks like an accountant, with big glasses and always wears a business shirt buttoned up to the top. Hes very quiet, and soft spoken as well, im sure when he came in to get his new harley they were like "what the hell"? ha ha. When he rides his bike he also wears a bright orange vest with reflective tape all over it, and a bright yellow 3/4 helmet so people wont hit him while hes riding around the block. A super cool guy though with a great sense of humor. well to each his own i guess.

Quick Reply: Friend wont ride his sportster