Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

biking to work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Also, I have some plans in the future to add in some additional security to my electrical system. Can't tell you what exactly, as that would ruin the point

I bought one of those disc lock alarms, but it was defective and I had to return it. Some people use those and don't have problems.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 AM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 812 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by GbarIV
So while waiting for the weather to warm and salt to clear I got to thinking about biking to work. I work in an office building and unfortunetly can't keep an eye onthe bike as much as I'd like.

To those who commute to work work, what kinda lots are your bikes in? What precautions if any do you take? I'm sure I'm a bit on the paranoid sidedue to just getting the bike, but I'd love to maximize my ridingtime!
Weather permitting, I ride to work just about every day I can.
I don't do ANYTHING special to protect my bike.
Here's why.

A few summers ago, a coworker of mine rode his Duece in, parked it and walked in just as he had done every day previous.
We have assigned parking spots based on seniority.
His spot was right in front of the main entrance doors...only 20 feet away.
A couple hours after the day started, a white Ford extended cargo van pulled up and the doors shot open.
Several guys jumped out, picked up the bike and shoved it in the van.
They were gone in NO TIME.
It was all recorded on surveillance cameras but they didn't bother trying to hide it at all.
Speed was the key.
Even if it was locked up it wouldn't mattered.
This has happened a couple of times within a couple miles of our location.
My Answer...
Just make sure you have good insurance that covers replacement cost of theft.

This happened 4 years ago and I have ridden to work almost every available day since.
No issues to date.

FYI... his bike was never recovered.

Last edited by S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r; 04-03-2016 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GbarIV (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 05:03 PM
florida_italian
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

park in the warehouse

Attached Thumbnails biking to work-cv.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 07:34 PM
bleachdriver
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride everyday to work in L A . I park in enclosed garage with other bikes but like you paranoid when i ever i park in public.As long as you got good insurance dont stress it.

The following users liked this post:
GbarIV (04-01-2016)
Old 04-01-2016, 09:17 PM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't driven to work in over a year. The lot around the shop is full of police and emergency vehicles (we build them there), so half the time I will even leave the keys in it.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:21 AM
DavidStiebel
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by grbrown
I'm not sure if I used the correct expression, but some built-in security systems sound an alarm, but also isolate the ignition system, so the bike cannot be jump started. I believe the systems used on Harleys for several years do that, but on my older bikes I've added them, using aftermarket systems.

I've now checked - I mean 'immobiliser'!
Correct, in the old days we would put a kill switch from the points to the interior somewhere, when we stopped / parked the car switch it to ground and the car would not start, the 2 are similar and fairly easily overcome if you know what to look for.
On a bike a switch inserted into the ignition system disconnecting the power to the computer would o it, also voids any warranty / insurance but on older bikes its sometimes the only option as insurance wont touch them.

One last note, reading other posts noted a van that swooped down and stole a bike. Well chaining the bike to something helps slow that and Harlie's are notoriously heavy and thieves don't like them for that reason, they will take the rice-rocket next to it! IMHO let them.

cheers,

Old 04-02-2016, 06:09 AM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,031 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by GbarIV
So while waiting for the weather to warm and salt to clear I got to thinking about biking to work. I work in an office building and unfortunetly can't keep an eye onthe bike as much as I'd like.

To those who commute to work work, what kinda lots are your bikes in? What precautions if any do you take? I'm sure I'm a bit on the paranoid sidedue to just getting the bike, but I'd love to maximize my ridingtime!
Just put on some saddlebags, windshield and other bolt on crap and make it so ugly no one will want it.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:05 AM
S.t.r.a.n.g.e.r
Road Master
Received 812 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidStiebel
One last note, reading other posts noted a van that swooped down and stole a bike. Well chaining the bike to something helps slow that and Harlie's are notoriously heavy and thieves don't like them for that reason, they will take the rice-rocket next to it! IMHO let them.
Chaining the bike?
To what?
It's a parking lot!
The guys bike that was stolen was a "Deuce"!
Even if there WAS something to chain to, he didn't have bags to keep a chain in.
Has bike was picked by Pros.
I have full confidence a chain and lock would have meant NOTHING to these guys.

The point of my response to the OP was this.
Make sure your insurance will cover replacement.
Once you know replacement is available, then there is no need to stress.
Just RIDE and enjoy.

Old 04-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
Just put on some saddlebags, windshield and other bolt on crap and make it so ugly no one will want it.
They will want it for the engine and other parts, regardless of how "ugly" the touring parts look to you.

Old 04-03-2016, 09:54 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Madison Bill
This has been my security system for my cars over the years. Fugly cars never get stolen. I've had huge quanities of valuables in my cars and they've never been touched. Plus I avoid paying for expensive cars that only get me from point A to point B in a more expensive manner.

My lot at work is small, out front and visible from my office window. I don't worry about it, but I often gaze out at her when I should be working and daydream about riding.

Quick Reply: biking to work