Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters reliability??

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 12:09 PM
bleachdriver
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Sportsters reliability??

What up everyone..So ive had my sportster '14 xlt1200 for about a year ive put 19k miles gone thru lightbulbs a battery, tires and now a catalictic converter is cracked and weld fell apart from the head pipe that explains the backfire i was hearing. This is my everyday commuter 80 miles round trip. everyday bike is in shop waiting for parts im stuck in about 2hrs of traffic(southern cali). Im starting to think this bike will give me more headaches down the line. All maintenance is always done when scheduled. I love my sporty but if this continues ima trade it or sell it.Has anyone gotten by with a sportster as a daily commuter?

Old 03-31-2016, 12:23 PM
benjamin lorenzo
Tourer
Received 125 Likes on 92 Posts

I've got 2013 xl 1200 custom. My round trip is about 80 miles too, but I only have 8.5 k miles so far. (Bought is used last summer). I replaced a rear tire and a battery so far. Where is the catalytic converter? I have vance and hines Short shot pipes so maybe i don't need to worry about that. Keep us posted. Ben

Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachdriver
What up everyone..So ive had my sportster '14 xlt1200 for about a year ive put 19k miles gone thru lightbulbs a battery, tires and now a catalictic converter is cracked and weld fell apart from the head pipe that explains the backfire i was hearing. This is my everyday commuter 80 miles round trip. everyday bike is in shop waiting for parts im stuck in about 2hrs of traffic(southern cali). Im starting to think this bike will give me more headaches down the line. All maintenance is always done when scheduled. I love my sporty but if this continues ima trade it or sell it.Has anyone gotten by with a sportster as a daily commuter?
So you've had no real problems in nearly 20k miles. Batteries die, light bulbs go... stock pipes (full system) are less than $100. Your cats are in your muffs... get used stock muffs ~$50.

You are good. Sportys are reliable if you take care of them and dont beat the s*** of them. Look at your own post.... no real issues. Scan these forums and you'll see some real issues... mostly owner inflicted.

Last edited by cvaria; 03-31-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:27 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I have an '11 Sporty and don't quite have as many miles as you since I also ride my King. Bulb, battery and tires all sound normal to me at around 20K for a daily commuter. I think it's better than most and wearables will wear. Keeping up with the scheduled maintenance is wise for longevity. Might even change the oil more often in that LA traffic.

Old 03-31-2016, 03:04 PM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 325 Posts

Hopefully you'll get some responses from co-member who drive their Sportster daily and as a commuter.

I can only offer you an opinion.

First Sportster motors are evolved and truly built proof.
Ditto for the chassis.

Some know problems include wheel bearing and fuse box water intrusion.
Both easily inspected and curable.

Also not mentioned is whether you bike is stock or modified.

Tire....19K mileage you did good.
Lightbulbs...motorcycles and Harley's have more vibration than other vehicles and you just may have luck of the draw. You don't indicate which bulbs blew, whether you replaced with motorbike specific bulbs.
Battery...again luck of the draw. Cables tight, ever discharge the battery in error? Typically 3 to 5 years life for a battery
Exhaust Pipe Weld...that is unusual. Cracking/ failed weld, maybe something is loose and vibrations/ movement caused the failure
Cat...again odd. Vibrations or excess heat?

However, you mention owning less than a year so the battery, cat & exhaust should be warranty. Plus I think the cat may have an 8 year warranty by law.

I think your bike needs some TLC as you are always riding it. Which is awesome.
Make some time for a once over.

Lastly, again that opinion, I think Sportster are the most dependable of Harleys.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:41 PM
jmann8686
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just my .02 but I think you are just running into everyday problems. I don't commute all year long but I have roughly an 80 mile round trip on my sporty. I have an 03. mine is modified but I have gone though a battery, bulbs and I had a exhaust pipe break in half. Luckily I had my pipes wrapped and it held it together for me to get home. Ran like crap but I limped it home. But like others said you have to think about the vibration and heat and everyday things. Sitting in traffic on an air cooled bike that thing must get hot. I don't have traffic to worry about but in the summer here in Washington on hot days my bike will run 200+ and thats doing 50+. That is just my thoughts though.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 PM
bleachdriver
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I agree tires and bulbs go but battery and cat???Bike is stock. Talked to harley and the warranty covers it but the part is on backorder they claim they cant get it till the 22nd of april...thats a long wait. As far as the bike getting to hot only time i need to stop is at red lights.Lane splitting is legal here in cali.I know car dealers offer loaner cars to their clients too bad harley doesnt.That california traffic sucks!!

Old 03-31-2016, 06:37 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,201 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by bleachdriver
Thanks to everyone for your replies. I agree tires and bulbs go but battery and cat???Bike is stock. Talked to harley and the warranty covers it but the part is on backorder they claim they cant get it till the 22nd of april...thats a long wait. As far as the bike getting to hot only time i need to stop is at red lights.Lane splitting is legal here in cali.I know car dealers offer loaner cars to their clients too bad harley doesnt.That california traffic sucks!!
well ... there's the R Nine T, the shadow, scout, bolt, ...... etc out there to serve your needs. no sense in sticking with a bike that is reliable, dependable, cheap to maintain, easy to mod, has insane aftermarket support,and easy to fix.

i feel you man

Originally Posted by the internet
http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.bi...tster1200.html this guy goes too far (disrespecting the 883) but, he hit on the major points.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spor...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited by cvaria; 03-31-2016 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:50 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Clutch spring plate and stator. From what I read they will fail sooner or later. Clutch plate fix is a sticky on this forum, Cycle Electric charging system upgrade will last forever (and it will not run at max power at all times as stock alternator does). I replaced the clutch plate because my clutch started slipping after engine mods, charging system ... see the pic.

Attached Thumbnails Sportsters reliability??-100_4118.jpg  
Old 04-01-2016, 12:32 AM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

Harleys are not the best choice for commuting, Honda's are. Smoother, better MPG, more reliable even.

Harley sells a style of riding and there is no one-fits-all-needs bike. Harley went into sports bike market and failed. Many look at the night rod as an embarrassment.

So, you want to commute? There is Honda NC700X, or a VStar.

Quick Reply: Sportsters reliability??