Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations of a New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:12 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Observations of a New Rider

Ok, I've been riding now for about a month and overall its been a lot of fun. There have been a few scary moments like when I was turning and let the clutch out too fast and ran the bike onto a neighbors lawn. I learned that if you don't get your leg out before the bike falls, you might break your ankle.

No big deal, I knew I had to get back on that horse quick and two days later I was riding again.

There are two things I've found that really scare me: 1) wind, not from in front, but from the side as in a sudden gust that pushes you and the bike over to the other lane. I don't like that at all. And 2) going over 55. I just can't do it either because of a lack of faith in the bike or more likely in myself, but it just doesn't feel safe -- even on an open road.

I'm not sure much can be done about the first, but will I eventually be able to feel as comfortable at 60 as I do at oh, 35 or so?

And, it seems insane to me to take a bike out on a four lane highway and have to go 70 mph or whatever the speed of traffic is. Do you guys really get used to this?

Oh and one more thing, the bike is far more maneuverable with the engine off when the tires are not 20 lbs underinflated.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:21 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132

And, it seems insane to me to take a bike out on a four lane highway and have to go 70 mph or whatever the speed of traffic is. Do you guys really get used to this?
crazy as it sounds, i'd rather be on the highway on a bike than in a cage. you'll get used to it. i forced myself to do it one exit at a time. first time was horrifying, second time too... week later i was fine. deceleration for exits became an issue.

signal early, look 100 times before moving, let tailgaters pass.. you will not win that fight. OWN YOUR LANE! try not to ride in the left/right most position of a lane unless in group riding staggered formation, a**holes will try to pass you in the same lane if they see that you are not in the middle. god knows why but, they do it.

Last edited by cvaria; 03-23-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 PM
drinktothat421
Road Master
Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

more riding and going 85 will feel like going 40.. i was the same way when i got my first street bike. 45 was flying...after riding more the speeds are not an issue. also you should not be holding your clutch in in long turning(left hand turns or long sweeps.) short right hand turn i understand that.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:34 PM
kingxirol
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
Two words. Time and practice. Also a note of caution, don't try to go beyond your present skills because of peer pressure. That's how people get hurt or worse as I've seen.

Good luck my friend!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:35 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,863 Likes on 2,428 Posts

Like a lot of members, I've been riding since the Ark. Yes, you will get used to all those things, as the miles roll by and you get more skilled. If you also drive, then you will know that it takes a while to acquire all the skills necessary to do that well.

Two suggestions: do plenty of mileage on quiet back roads, where you can learn to relax and master the basics; consider taking a training course, where you will meet other new riders, who probably have the same concerns as you!

Take a deep breath......

Old 03-23-2016, 03:41 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

you will get it eventually. Just wait till you get a gust of side wind in a corner durring a rain storm doin 80.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:43 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I highly suggest you take the MSF Basic Rider Course before you kill yourself. The majority of motorcycle accidents happen in a riders first year of riding and the majority of those accidents happen in turns. You should not be on a motorcycle at all if you are scared.

When a motorcycle is traveling over 15mph it wants to stay upright and balanced whether or not you are on it. Remember that when your going 55mph. All you really have to do is hold on.

Steering is also effected at speeds over 15mph. Under that you can steer by turning the handle bars. Over 15mph you have to lean to get the bike to turn. You get the bike to lean by pushing the handlebar in the direction you want to turn. Push right and the bike will lean right. When turning, if you accelerate, the motorcycle will naturally try to upright itself. This is why you went into your neighbor's yard. You have to compensate with more lean. What if you did that same thing on a main road with oncoming traffic?

The following video explains the physics involved. It uses a bicycle as an example, but the same is true for motorcycles:

Old 03-23-2016, 07:29 PM
BLKPRLFLHTCU
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ride within your means, live within your means.

The following users liked this post:
load97 (03-23-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKPRLFLHTCU
Ride within your means, live within your means.
That true.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:43 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I don't really remember all that but I started riding in 1958 so who knows.

Quick Reply: Observations of a New Rider