Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations of a New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 09:14 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,990 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
That was amazing, thanks!
Glad you found it helpful!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:27 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
I'm sure if I was 19, none of this would be an issue and i'd be flying along I 95 as we speak. Unfortunately, i'm 63 and cursed with a sense of mortality and reason. I'm working on it.
I love this! lol

I got my first motorcycle at 48 and have been riding for a couple years. The first time I got on the interstate was entirely unplanned. I was following my brother to a job site and he decided to take the short route. It was exhilerating and sobering at the same time. I saw him turn to get on the on ramp and I thought, "okay, what the h*ll. Here we go."

I think when you pass 50, you begin to naturallly think of all the ways you can die, so it's good to live a little. =)

But then the other day, when I took my sporty out on a long open highway I was up t0 85 in no time and enjoying the feel of it.

Take your time, but push yourself a little.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,771 Likes on 982 Posts

The first couple times I was on the highway doing 60-65 I had that holding on for dear life feeling. Now, I can hit 75 without even realizing it. As you gain experience and time in the saddle you become accustomed to it.

As I got into fall of my first year of riding I tried to ride in as many diverse conditions as possible, including gusty wind, light rain, cold, darkness, etc. I wanted to get a taste of these, so if I ever had to ride in them I wouldn't be caught off guard. Strong crosswinds can be unnerving, especially at speed, and when your bike gets blown a foot or two off course. Hold the bars loosely and gently correct. And change your tighty whiteys when you get home.

Old 03-28-2016, 07:37 AM
Truble
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

You definitely need more practice and patience. Don't push yourself above your riding skills as said before. The wind gusts are something you get used to but it's just not the wind but blow by from semi's on the road as well. Low-speed parking lot practice or maybe taking a safe riding class will help you with learning how to use your clutch and rear brake properly during low-speed riding. Keep your feet on your pigs when you're turning don't lay them out, The only thing that will be good for is to break your leg like you said. Also talk to the instructor about some of your issues they should be able to help you out. Stay safe and good luck once your confidence comes you'll feel much better just take your time. Welcome to the family!

Old 03-28-2016, 08:29 AM
JimmyL
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I hate to see guys on bikes sticking their feet out while coming to a stop or ever while the bike is moving. The wheels should be the only thing touching the ground until you stop. I practice stopping and putting my left foot down, keeping my right foot on the rear brake. Then I shift to the right foot down to shift back into first gear. It's about control and balance. Every ride is a clinic. I have been told I'm slightly OCD though.

Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,198 Likes on 1,684 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I hate to see guys on bikes sticking their feet out while coming to a stop or ever while the bike is moving. The wheels should be the only thing touching the ground until you stop. I practice stopping and putting my left foot down, keeping my right foot on the rear brake. Then I shift to the right foot down to shift back into first gear. It's about control and balance. Every ride is a clinic. I have been told I'm slightly OCD though.
you'll hate to see me... i do it proudly. the only thing that "should" be happening is you doing you.