Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Observations of a New Rider

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:45 PM
morleyz
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All great suggestions here. When I was learning, I spent a lot of time on empty roads and in big parking lots (high schools and community colleges are great on the weekends).

Get as much experience as you can in a controlled environment. When you get out into traffic, you want to be focused on what is going on around you, not how to control your bike. Operating the bike needs to be second nature or you will struggle to react to dangerous situations.

One quick, specific tip. In general I would not shift or use the clutch in a turn. A typical turn (from a stop sign/light) you should have the clutch fully out before you lean into your turn, with smooth, steady application of power from the throttle. Make sure you look through your turns (focus on where you want to end your turn). A proper turn will be more square and wider that you might instinctively think it should be. You can practice this in a parking lot really easy.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:52 PM
407Guy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a rider course on your bike.

But as others have posted take your time.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Queen-of-Clubs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,334 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
I'm not sure much can be done about the first, but will I eventually be able to feel as comfortable at 60 as I do at oh, 35 or so?

And, it seems insane to me to take a bike out on a four lane highway and have to go 70 mph or whatever the speed of traffic is. Do you guys really get used to this?
This made me smile. The first time I got on the road I was on a quiet country lane where the speed limit was 45 miles an hour and very little traffic. I thought I was flying. When I graduated to a faster busier road, I couldn't seem to get above 55 mph. My boyfriend at the time was teaching me to ride. He rode in the back so he could keep the traffic off my tail. I decided the busier roads could wait. One day, after a few weeks of riding the back roads by myself, I decided I needed to bite the bullet and get on the highway. I called him up and said I need to get some highway riding in, let's go. We jumped on the interstate where the speed limit was 70 and in order not to get run over, I had to go fast. It took me all of 15 minutes to decide I was having a blast. When we ride together now, he can't keep up

Ride within your comfort zone. You will know when you are ready to graduate.

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 10:32 PM
Justin Lynn
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would highly recommend taking that Basic Rider Course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Your instructors will teach you to be comfortable with riding and doing low speed maneuvers. Best part is that you will be using their bikes and not your own.
You will eventually become just as comfortable riding your motorcycle as you do driving your car. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with yet.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:04 PM
SWMB
Road Warrior
Received 778 Likes on 501 Posts

My experience in a way was a bit the same as Queen-of-Clubs in Manitoba you have to take the MSF coarse then your allowed a learners license which is basically a motorcycle license with a few restrictions like no passenger , no night riding and no alcohol. When I got home and took my bike out for the first time I've got a mile of gravel road and then our #1 Hyw across Canada which is 4 lane and 110 KPH. Man I was nervous but within 15 minutes it stated to feel comfortable so sometimes I think its good to be forced a little out of your comfort zone.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:38 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks everyone for some great advice. I'm really not worried about low speed maneuvers and practice those things around the neighborhood. I don't even mind traffic as long as their are two lanes so people can get around me if i'm too slow. I'm not going to exceed my comfort zone for anyone and will just give it time and see how it goes. Right now 35-45 is comfortable and manageable on roads in my area.

I'm surprised I don't see more comparisons to riding a bicycle. Seems to me the physics would be about the same and I can recall it taking time for me to get really comfortable on a bike. But it feels very similar -- except my Harley is a lot faster than any bicycle I ever had. It also won't lean over as easily as a bicycle.

Main thing is I want it to be fun for me. Otherwise, its a stupid thing to do. And so far its a gas.

Old 03-24-2016, 01:55 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Dealing with wind gusts is simple - do not fight them, but when hit compensate for them. You will find even the strongest gusts will not blow you off your lane.

Another tip: Front brake is your brake. Do not get into habit of rear-only braking.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:33 PM
HarleyScuba
Grand HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

A simple demonstration of how a motorcycle turns:
Place a Solo, red, plastic cup on its side. Flick it with your finger. It goes in a circle.
Don't think about it too much. Time, and experience, like anything else, will make you more comfortable. Just ride the damn thing. This weekend, everyone will be rushing to Grandma's and/or church with their head up their anus. Get up at daybreak, dress warm, in layers, and get out/return early. Beware of tourists and Cherry Blossom Lookie-Lous, too. Hit GW Parkway, South, away from the largest group of idiots. Or, Duke St/Little River Trnpk to Braddock Rd (cut over via Ravensworth), which will get you to Fairfax County and headed towards a more country atmosphere. Think about Clifton. Google maps, of course, will show you where to loop and make your ride a circle. Also, there's nothing wrong with simple, out-and-back rides. Georgetown Pike, Route 193, is a favorite from when I grew up in the area. Kirby Road, which comes off Gtown Pike towards McLean, has many twists and the speed limit is low. You can loop back to Gtown Pike on Old Dominion Drive (pop into Great Falls Park, but you'll need cash to enter - River Bend Park, around the corner, might still be free). Western Falls Church is great, with minimum traffic/stop lights, and can be easily accessed from Kirby Road. If you go up Duke St/ Little Rvr Trnpk, Annandale Rd can get you over to Western Falls Church, too (cross over Route 50, stay away from 7-Corners/East Falls Church). There are plenty of nice, little roads - Clifton, McLean, Great Falls, Oakton. Eventually, you'll get to the Blue Ridge Parkway. You just need to explore and get some saddle time.
You can't get lost. The Atlantic is on one side, Pacific on the other, with Canada up top and Mexico down below.

Old 03-24-2016, 04:54 PM
DCrider132
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the tour of Fairfax county. So far I've been to Mt. Vernon, Mason Neck and west as far as Ox Road. I'd love to ride 193 but i'm not ready yet. Soon maybe, but its a long ride from Alexandria. Also, the beltway is a long way off and that's going to limit my options to some extent, but each time I ride a gain noticeable confidence, so my horizon will grow pretty quick I think. I know if I can manage the Beltway and I can manage most of the U.S., so no rush on that.

I've been riding around an empty traffic circle and kind of rolling the bike right and left just to 'feel' and get used to the lean. It's fine at 20, but curvy roads where i'm going 35 or 40 are trickier. Hard to gauge whether to slow down or not.

I'm sure if I was 19, none of this would be an issue and i'd be flying along I 95 as we speak. Unfortunately, i'm 63 and cursed with a sense of mortality and reason. I'm working on it.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:57 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DCrider132
Ok, I've been riding now for about a month and overall its been a lot of fun. There have been a few scary moments like when I was turning and let the clutch out too fast and ran the bike onto a neighbors lawn. I learned that if you don't get your leg out before the bike falls, you might break your ankle.

No big deal, I knew I had to get back on that horse quick and two days later I was riding again.

There are two things I've found that really scare me: 1) wind, not from in front, but from the side as in a sudden gust that pushes you and the bike over to the other lane. I don't like that at all. And 2) going over 55. I just can't do it either because of a lack of faith in the bike or more likely in myself, but it just doesn't feel safe -- even on an open road.

I'm not sure much can be done about the first, but will I eventually be able to feel as comfortable at 60 as I do at oh, 35 or so?

And, it seems insane to me to take a bike out on a four lane highway and have to go 70 mph or whatever the speed of traffic is. Do you guys really get used to this?

Oh and one more thing, the bike is far more maneuverable with the engine off when the tires are not 20 lbs underinflated.
I moved up from a Sportster thats 10 years of age to a 2015 Road Glide Special so i'll chime in. In a strong crosswind 35mph plus the bagger gets alot more wind than a Sportster so be thankful. From your post you seem like you have zero to little riding experience which is ok we all started there before. Its better to run your bike onto the neighbors lawn than to run it into the ground .

Even though the Sportster is at the bottom end of the Harley line up its not a beginners machine imo. In fact from a learner perspective its probably your worst choice vs a metric that is actually well balanced in comparison.

I've spent thousand of miles on the superslab on a Sportster which well isn't my favorite but i've done it. Yeah you learn to deal with it. It's not the best bike for the super slab or i.e. interstate was 70mph but it can do it.

Like most have said. Practice, Practice, Practice. I will say this the moment you question the bike your in trouble. What i mean by this is be smart, know that your bike can do what you want it to. I've been a rider since the late 70s and i know my bike can do more than i can ask of it . Ride at a level you are comfortable with and no further.

The following users liked this post:
sgthwjack (03-25-2016)

Quick Reply: Observations of a New Rider