Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Sportster Sport Speedometer Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 03:09 PM
Drotty
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Sportster Sport Speedometer Issue

Hey there! Been following posts from this group for 6 months and want to thank everyone for their insight. Recently picked up a 1996 XL1200S with 3501 miles, but actual is approximately 2k miles. Yes, actual miles! I say approximately because the speedo/odo is registering about twice (2x) the speed and mileage.

Through the help of the great peeps here on HDForums, I have been able to clean VSS and check the connections and put her back together and still get exactly "double" mileage and speed?

Stopped at (2) local HD shops and get the same'o same'o. The bike is too "obsolete" - "we have NO idea", "Call HD"???

Called HD America and they have "NO Suggestions"?

Anyone have any ideas or input that might help? Before I go buying an aftermarket speedo? I am absolutely "befuddled"!!

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-23-2016, 03:33 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Maybe what it displays is in kilometers?

3501 km = 2175 mi

If you go 50 mph, is it showing 80 (km/h)?

If that's what is going on it may need some sort of magic to switch it from metric into standard.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:46 PM
Drotty
5th Gear

Thanks Von Zipper! Considered that possibility. However, it is exactly "double" (ie: 25=50, 55=110, etc.) Additionally, I have guaged with a GPS and if GPS shows .6 the odo shows 1.2, etc.

I asked HD America tech, maybe a key on/off while holding reset, with bike pointing north and uphill? They said "No such magic"?

Old 03-23-2016, 04:33 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

I do not know '96. Is this speedo electrical? Where is the sensor? Maybe the sensor is acting up and triggering twice instead of once on every rotation. Just guessing.

Old 03-23-2016, 05:16 PM
Drotty
5th Gear

Yessir, it is an electronic speedo. The sensor is in the rear of tranny. B!#ch to get to, but I removed it and it was remarkably clean. I did clean it and reinstalled, but same results. This evening I am going to pull bracket, disconnect, clean and inspect entire length of wiring to see if any "wear"? Next thought is to replace VSS and start over until I reach the speedo. Then if NO results? I guess replace speedo?

I am perplexed?? All indicators of a VSS bad are not there? Speedo works, odo works, self cancel turns work?

Frustrating as hell! Thanks for the support!

Old 03-23-2016, 05:31 PM
Von_Zipper
Road Warrior

I'm not familiar with this generation of speedometer. On my bike I can hook up my laptop and set correct ratio for my speedo to match my transmission. If I change a pulley all it takes is to enter correct value using my laptop. Maybe the '96 speedo has a calibration procedure as well?

Old 03-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Howdy fellow Texan. Unfortunately without the 3 to 4 hundred dollar speedo checker, (HD-41354) You are left shotgun troubleshooting. As you have probably already figured out by now, there are only two parts that can be the issue. The speed sensor, which sends a square wave (Hz) signal to the speedo, or the speedo itself which in turn, interprets that data. Both of them are working, one not so good!

I know a sensor ain't a killer at about 60 bucks, but that dang speedo is a bear. That's why I went with my Dakota Digital. Where bout's you from?

Old 03-23-2016, 07:11 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

Here. I'll pimp this photo on this thread too. I should change my name to neato-speedo.

One good thing I do like about the Dakota, I can calibrate it how ever I want to so my speed and milage are dead on. Unlike most speedos that are notoriously a few miles over...

Old 03-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Drotty
5th Gear

Looks good Lonnie Mac. Has been on the back of my mind just to give in and do the aftermarket speedo. Pulled speedo and bracket this eve. Decided before I give up I am going to order a new Sensor and go for the "hail mary". I'm not too hopeful with that, but like you said, $60 is a cheap starting point.

By the way I'm just outside SATX. "God's Country"!!

Old 03-23-2016, 09:23 PM
Drotty
5th Gear

Lonnie Mac I just saw where you're from Bacliff. Spent a lot of youth in San Leon. Best seafood around back then was Clifton's. Last I heard it burned down?

Quick Reply: 96 Sportster Sport Speedometer Issue