Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster Speedometer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

See if this helps. The image is too large to post here. Just click the link and it should open. Just a pano from my manual. I don't normally like taking snapshots from manuals. Hopefully this will help a bit brother. The reason I asked is because the XL 1200C didn't have a tach in 96. Only the XLH and the 1200S.

See if this works.

http://www.alenuts.com/stuff/wires.jpg

Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Sportylee
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lonnie Mac
See if this helps. The image is too large to post here. Just click the link and it should open. Just a pano from my manual. I don't normally like taking snapshots from manuals. Hopefully this will help a bit brother. The reason I asked is because the XL 1200C didn't have a tach in 96. Only the XLH and the 1200S.

See if this works.

http://www.alenuts.com/stuff/wires.jpg
Thanks man! That's just what I needed.yea they said the bike had a tach so I'm guessing it's a xl I don't think it's a custom it

Old 03-19-2016, 10:24 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer

Great man! Hope it works out. I wired up the Dakota Digital on mine. I LOVE the dang thing. Got the built in tach and all... Let me know if I can help more.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:35 PM
Sportylee
Advanced

The speedo works but I think it's alittle off there is no way it's doing 80 just shifting into 4th not hitting the Rev limter in 3rd

Old 03-20-2016, 08:38 PM
Sportylee
Advanced

Man that looks nice I wish I could have afforded one that nice I just got alittle cheap 2.4" gauge thought it would be cheaper then a speeding ticket lol

Great man! Hope it works out. I wired up the Dakota Digital on mine. I LOVE the dang thing. Got the built in tach and all... Let me know if I can help more.

The following users liked this post:
Lockemup (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 08:42 PM
Lockemup
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can i get an after market plug and play spedometer? I bought a 2005 sporty and the previous owner hacked lots of neede tbings off. Thanks for the help

Old 03-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Lonnie Mac
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sportylee
The speedo works but I think it's alittle off there is no way it's doing 80 just shifting into 4th not hitting the Rev limter in 3rd
Great man! Glad it worked out for ya. Hopefully there is some sort of calibration method for yours. Mine was way off also showing 35 miles per as I was walking it down the driveway. But it has a great calibration method. Hopefully it will work out for you.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 PM
Sportylee
Advanced

Great man! Glad it worked out for ya. Hopefully there is some sort of calibration method for yours. Mine was way off also showing 35 miles per as I was walking it down the driveway. But it has a great calibration method. Hopefully it will work out for you.
Yea I did the calibration the way they said to do it lift the tire turn it 10 full times ÷ that by 10 × but tire size I'll have have to get someone to drive beside me to check it there noway a stockish sportster is that fast lol

Old 03-21-2016, 06:08 AM
Bearjew
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lockemup
Where can i get an after market plug and play spedometer? I bought a 2005 sporty and the previous owner hacked lots of neede tbings off. Thanks for the help
I have a question for you guys.
How did you calibrate the mileage? My Guage is cracked and I need a new one. I worry about the mileage matching up though. Does it automatically adjust, do you enter it manually, or must it be done at the shop?

Old 03-21-2016, 06:16 AM
Bearjew
Intermediate

How did you calibrate your mileage?

Quick Reply: Sportster Speedometer wiring